Happy birthday SY!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I feel young and old at the same time. Young because I'm only 41 and old because I'm hanging around with people much older than me! The amazing thing is that everybody here seems to be somewhere between 50 and 60. Is this the age when you really become a hardcore DIYer? And if this statistic is true what can I expect from my future? Even more projects at the same time? That would be a serious overdose. This thread has opened my eyes, I'm really concerned and worried now. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Surprisingly, no. Champagne. I was not displeased. :D

That is quite rare with Champagne, at least in my limited experience with Champagnes. I prefer a nice simple Merlot from Chile or Argentina. I recall a BBC broadcast about very expensive Champagnes that were made from grapes that came from wine fields that were littered with rubbish from the dumpsters of Paris. Also the extreme high sugar content was mentioned.

I guess one should sometimes better not know how some things are made (nor what is in it)....

Yes, the industrial stuff is quite dreadful. The Grandes Marques are all factory enterprises, including their mass produced high end wines (guess how many bottles of Cristal and Dom Perignon are produced every year?).

However, we were lucky enough on our last trip to France to find a few small growers who make wine that happens to be Champagne rather than Champagne that happens to be wine. They are so superior to the mass produced stuff as to be ridiculous.

Right now I am 4X the age I was when I first made a set of speakers. That age is the first two numbers in order.

That is about when I started. The first "guitar amp" was at about 10, but it I really didn't build it, I just took the guts out of a Magnavox HiFi and built it into a plywood box that was small enough to be dragged around by a skinny kid. Most of my "speakers" were made the same way for the same reason. I didn't start making really big ones (4 X 12 inch and 3 X 15 inch) until high school. Everything I made before age 16 had only one purpose....to be LOUDER than the last one. By age 17 I had 1200 watts running through 8 X 12 inch speakers and I could never upstage that. That was a lot of power for 1970.

The amazing thing is that everybody here seems to be somewhere between 50 and 60. Is this the age when you really become a hardcore DIYer?

There seems to be more than a few of us that started quite young. Then all of lifes responsibilities start to absorb all of your time and the DIY diminished...but never died. Once the kids move out and leave you an empty bedroom, and you come to realize that the world will run out of tubes before you run out of "stuff" that needs to be done, then the DIY can start again. I am just starting to turn that corner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.