Hand Made SATA Cable for CAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am open to new facts, but dont often see more than anecdotal eveidence in some of the Aduio claims for improvement, especially with digital audio, where so many new myths are being perpetrated, without any scientific facts to back them up other than "I hear a difference" so back it up with facts...And as I have said, in the real world of electronic digital design we dont seem to have these magic phenomena...

Well, those discussions endlessly revolve around causes of effects which are almost (! :) ) never verified by credible experiments. Many more or less meaningful explanations are being suggested, just do not question validity of the original premise ("I can hear it"). It is basically about having a nice pleasant chat, just as in a pub with beer. And I understand that. In fact I like that kind of chatter too, just on a little different topic. Basically what we are doing here now is the same :)

people who design SATA cables by ear.
Sounds like a joke, but it's a bloody real situation :cheers:

In fact that could be a whole new thread, how to modify a DDR memory interface:)
I would start by changing the smd caps with Blackgates. Not polyster or polyprop, every audiophile knows Blackgates outperforms them in every way :p
Of course, you have to peel them and let be "nude", the plastic cover harms sound A LOT (as everybody should know).

Any idea on how to put 3 spike supports, like the one used for HIFI equipment and speakers, to hold the bank of memory? I would like to issolate it from micrphonics and vibrations as much as possible.

By the moment, I've put them in the refrigerator, as I like to cryogene everything of the audio chain. Even things that are not, but stand near my HIFI system.

A quick question for you, how can a light switch on almost instantly when electron drift velocity is only approx 84mm an hour
Enlighten us, please!

A quick question for you, how can a light switch on almost instantly when electron drift velocity is only approx 84mm an hour

because its the charge, not the electron itself that carries energy and the electron is simply a conduit for passing the charge from one atom to another?

but guys, i realise this is really really good fodder, but dont you think youve given him enough of a lashing already?

Last edited:
Yah, well, that's crazy, if you play from RAM the SATA cable plays no role.. All the 0010110 is stored in ram before going to the cpu. Soo just enable RAM playing in your favorite player. Also I see no reason for the data correction not to work at both ends of the cable, otherwise none of your software would work, or would your OS boot. So yes, this is fine blend snake oil..

I like what you did with the motherboard though. I plan the same but with heatpipes.

Most PC Based user in Taiwan play music like your way
Even so,
Replace my sata calbe with O.S. SSD sata cable
my sata calbe will dramatically improve sound quality
This is the consensus of all senior audiophile in Taiwan

I can hardly to explain HOW the difference between the transmitted signal and the recieved cable can improve sound
If you do not have Related knowledge in this area

MD5 data integrity checksum will tell you nothing to the sound
Just like a output waveform fom amplifier
can not tell you why amplifier sound different

Don´t waste your time with Seriel ATA!
The best sound without a doubt you get from some well engineered IDE drives. German senior audiophiles have heard this as 3 times more dramatic improvement!
Most hunted for are well matured Samsung 320GB Spinpoints drives jumpered as SLAVE, running on an Intel ICH2 IDE Controller rev. B0. Beware! Later revisions sound edgy!
Finetuning with endless listening sessions for the best 40 pole cable are still in progress but you can expect a real winner. Rumors intensify around some UDMA/33 IDE cables delivered by a still *secret* Taiwanese manufacturer.
All this you best pair with the Intel chipset beta hotfix driver released at the end of January 2003. We talk about Windows 98SE of cause, all other OS´s are way to overloaded with all their tasks to ever be in the audiophile league we talk about here!
More surprises to be announced soon here!

Always keep an open mind!

P.S.: when you can´t hear it you are deaf or your system simply is not resolving enough!!

Wombat

Back to the Future ? :D
I think you will find the that the main differences between different types of HDD, SSD etc. is due to PSU demands, and the way they affect the rest of the system.Provide them with a very clean linear supply,or a well filtered supply, and you will find the differences very small, if at all audible.
SandyK

qusp:

No need to excuse your skepticism. This is a load of crap (even by audiophile standards): just imagine that SATA cables affected the integrity of the files passed through them. You couldn't copy your music around, because it would degrade the treble clarity, so "audiophile" transfer companies would offer to make copies for you at incredibly high prices.

Aside from the occasional scandal when it turns out one of these companies is making copies using a 10-year old computer running Windows 98 with cables they found in a dumpster (yet nobody noticed)...

This, unsurprisingly, is not the case. SATA cables cannot affect music files passed through them, even theoretically (unless the cable is so abominably terrible that even repeated re-sending cannot get the data through uncorrupted - perhaps if it was made of a copper-cake alloy?).

The transfer is not time-critical, so jitter is not an issue (although I doubt it is really an issue normally, but that's another story). It is error-correcting, so you don't get corrupted data. There is absolutely no mechanism by which a change could ever be affected in the audio.

Should you still feel this claim still has any merit, I encourage you to copy files from one hard-drive to something else and back again, as many times as you want! Good luck on hearing a difference in quality!

Well, the system may be able to send and receive the correct 1's and 0's, but it only appears to be the identical because the system samples the data digitally. If viewed through an analogue scope you will be able to see that the 1's will have a less organic shape when transferred through a bad cable. Audio is analogue, and these analogue component of the bits result in the often-heard differences that occur even though the bits are totally identical.

For the best sound, get HDDs with glass platters - silicon shares some similarities with carbon and makes the drive more organic-like compared to aluminum platters.

Aside from the occasional scandal when it turns out one of these companies is making copies using a 10-year old computer running Windows 98 with cables they found in a dumpster (yet nobody noticed)...
That just bring me to mind the first time I saw for the first time a 3.3K$ Gaincard (Gainclone) from the inside...

Back to the Future ? :D
I think you will find the that the main differences between different types of HDD, SSD etc. is due to PSU demands, and the way they affect the rest of the system.Provide them with a very clean linear supply,or a well filtered supply, and you will find the differences very small, if at all audible.
SandyK
Change the hard disk's PSU.... you were joking, right?

MD5 data integrity checksum will tell you nothing to the sound
Just like a output waveform fom amplifier
can not tell you why amplifier sound different
yeah, why check a multi-gigabyte per second digital link data integrity with numbers if you can do it by ear? :scratch:

"Change the hard disk's PSU.... you were joking, right?"
regiregi22
Try using a HDD in an external case with a Linear PSU, or fit a C-L-C filter in line with the HDDs molex connector, or fitting a +12V and +5V "shunt" regulator (e.g. a JLH "Ripple eater" as in an earlier thread.)in series with the HDD/Optical writer power supply.
This IS DIYAudio, isn't it ?
There are also commercial devices such as the SOtM products for Sata, USB and fan filters. SOtM
SandyK

"Change the hard disk's PSU.... you were joking, right?"
regiregi22
Try using a HDD in an external case with a Linear PSU, or fit a C-L-C filter in line with the HDDs molex connector, or fitting a +12V and +5V "shunt" regulator (e.g. a JLH "Ripple eater" as in an earlier thread.)in series with the HDD/Optical writer power supply.
This IS DIYAudio, isn't it ?
There are also commercial devices such as the SOtM products for Sata, USB and fan filters. SOtM
SandyK

There are also commercial CD demagnetisers. All that someone selling a product like that shows is that someone with a vanishingly awful understanding of how data is transferred inside the computer (read: not the same way as it goes through the digital audio cable coming out of it) is willing to buy it.

Feeding a hard-drive better DC to improve sound quality is lunacy.

well i can see one advantage of such a thing, if the ground on your dac isnt isolated from ground on your PC it could stop back EMF from the switcher and SSD are pretty bad when it comes to current ripple.

but lets face it, any decent audio system based on your PC is going to take care of such a thing already

You don't even need a very tough definition of decent.
I suppose if somebody had a PC with an awful power supply and audio equipment with power supplies that would give the PC a run for its money...but this is beginning to sound like the sort of hypothetical scenario which allows people to sell monstrously expensive mains conditioners...

Status
Not open for further replies.