Hafler DH-200/220 Mods

finally, somebody builds a hafler clone!

we look forward to your results paolo.

good luck,
mlloyd1

Actually this is not the first clone, but it is going to be the first with the new boards. On this one I'd like then to try some other interesting modifications (Lavardin, etc).
The other clones I have built were already very good sounding, one of them has eaten a Krell KAV 300 in a direct comparison:D

I'll keep you guys informed!!

Ciao!
Paolo

Paolo

Thanks for the reply.

The two transmission line subwoofers are mounted between the floor joists in my great room and cannot be relocated. Since one subwoofer driver and port is located closer to a corner it amplifies the bass and the level needs to be reduced to match the output sound level of the other subwoofer. My new processor only has a single LFE output so I need to be able to reduce the output level of the subwoofer in the corner so both subwoofers are at the same volume level when measured with a SPL sound meter located where I am sitting. Hope that helps.

Hi,

but the problems are only related to different measurements or there is also a problem when sit there and enjoy the music with a cold beer?;)

Ciao!

Paolo

C9

Hi Paolo

C9 is not a Cdom but a "shunt lag" compensation (VAS shunt to ground). The DH-200 does not use Cdom Miller cap but C9 and RC networks in the collector load of the input stage for frequency compensation scheme. Some schools of thoughts say that Cdom is not good for audio and some other schools say that shunt compensation (C and/or R to shunt VAS to GND) loads to much the VAS stage. The DH-200 frequency compensation scheme uses a small C9 and the rest of the compensation (except feedback compensation) is done in input stage. So, it may be one reason why the DH-200 sounds good. Putting a 20k in parralel extend the open loop bandwidth of the amp but at the price of Power supply ripple increase. So, there is no free lunch.;)
However, 20K is a high value which should limit the perpectible effect on ripple generation.

Fab

Hi Fab!

Thank you for your useful reply! Now I have a clear picture.
The loading of the VAS stage using this scheme should be only in the high frequency range, or it could also impact the useful bandwith operation?
The power supply ripple increase is due to the increased current required for this stage connecting this resistor, right? Will increase also the dissipation of the driver transistors? In any case, using a regulated power supply should solve the problem, right?

Ciao!
Paolo

Wow, did not know this thread was here. Goldmine. I happen to have 2 220's and a 120. Good, but not great. ( My wife prefers my Rotel 940's). Very close in sound to my B&K 140. I was about to just use the chassis to try my hand at some class D or gainclones.

Hi,

I've refurbished (or should I say restored) few DH-200, I can tell you that the difference is huge. AFter all this years, a lot of components are aged, and of course there are a lot of tricks that, meanwhile, are worth doing.
I'm not a class D amplifiers fan, this heavily biases me from supporting your intention of using the Hafler chassis for such a project.

Ciao!

Paolo

Hi,

P.S.: I'm building a new Hafler with two boards that I have made the layout. Gold plated traces, six mosfets per channel (2SK1058-2SJ162). I'm going to regulate the voltage for the "signal" side (I have two additionals windings on the transformer), and I would like to use fast (or soft) recovery diodes in the power supply. I'll post more pictures and results as soon as they are available.

Might be nice to replace Haflers butt ugly pcb too:)

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Fab!

Thank you for your useful reply! Now I have a clear picture.
The loading of the VAS stage using this scheme should be only in the high frequency range, or it could also impact the useful bandwith operation?
The power supply ripple increase is due to the increased current required for this stage connecting this resistor, right? Will increase also the dissipation of the driver transistors? In any case, using a regulated power supply should solve the problem, right?

Ciao!
Paolo

It depends on the cap value but the laoding VAS problem is real. In the case of the DH-200 the loading is small even with adding 20k to the existing C9 which is not a very disturbing value. The power supply ripple possible increase is an effect of the extention of the bandwidth to a higher frequency value because at the same time you also reduce the open loop gain at low frequency (including 50, 60, 100 or 120Hz) which reduces the Power supply rejection ratio of the amp. However, having said that, I have myself added a 15k resistors between VAS and ground for both polarity of amp and I can not observe a perceptible increase in ripple (but not really measured though...). The regulated supply sure helps in a lot of manner but not in reducing the loading of the VAS transistors. I think I made good publicity of the regulated supply for the front end pcb of this amp in this thread if you have noticed...;)

Ciao!

Fab

Last edited:
hello!:

It's been several years since my last vist-back to post 204!. Quite few others have since. Latest post #827! to haflerfreak R u tweeking a XL280? to mlloyd1 I find your mods very appealing as I'm short on time w/5 kids and another coming. Though I know which end of a soldering iron is up, I lack the experience & expertise of the rest of you guys. I can handle swapping caps, resistors, wire, & diodes.

I've revamped my purpose for my XL 280s since my last stretch of visits here-Home Theatre! I have 4 of them! Specifically, use one amp each to bi-amp my left*, center*, & right channels* maximizing channel separation, etc. The 4th powering my surrounds full range*; a Mackie 1400 covers the sub.
* I'll tweek this one also

Back to the good stuff about Haflers. I'm certain they need a bias "tune-up." Some other specifics: use the right channel** above** 2Khz, the left channel** below** 2K**. I plan to use 4th order HP/LP "E" filtering

W/ these** in mind, the only other mods that I think could net me the results I seek could be completely separate, tailored left/right PS filtering & rectification for both the front end and final stage.

Tailored being add'l recitfication & PS filtering for right channel(s), channel, upgraded filtering & recitfication for the left. Space may allow for a "T" transf with multi windings and higher VA ratings.

With ove 800 posts to sift through (I read many of them) I'm still at a loss for ideas & some specifics. mlloyd1 you nailed the resisitor(s) mods, thanks. And thanks in advance to all of you for pursuit of this fun/insane hobby!

It depends on the cap value but the laoding VAS problem is real. In the case of the DH-200 the loading is small even with adding 20k to the existing C9 which is not a very disturbing value. The power supply ripple possible increase is an effect of the extention of the bandwidth to a higher frequency value because at the same time you also reduce the open loop gain at low frequency (including 50, 60, 100 or 120Hz) which reduces the Power supply rejection ratio of the amp.

ok, thanks for the explanation

However, having said that, I have myself added a 15k resistors between VAS and ground for both polarity of amp and I can not observe a perceptible increase in ripple (but not really measured though...).

And what about its benefits about sound?

The regulated supply sure helps in a lot of manner but not in reducing the loading of the VAS transistors. I think I made good publicity of the regulated supply for the front end pcb of this amp in this thread if you have noticed...;)

Yes, and I've put this mod with an high priority in my list:D

Ciao!
Paolo

P.S.: have you found those results by simulating the amplifier (or a part of it)?

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
...And what about its benefits about sound?
P.S.: have you found those results by simulating the amplifier (or a part of it)?

Unfortunately, it is hard for me to tell since I made several mods at the same time....:eek: I have not gone through the "before and after" listening for this single mod... Personaly I prefer to have a known passive load for the VAS instead of an unprecise high impedance load which varies with the butterfly effect....:rolleyes:

What specific results?

Thanks

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
VAS loading

I mean, how is it possible to say when the loading of the Vas becomes unacceptable? Is it simulating the circuit (or part of it) or just by your experience?

I'm wondering if simulating the amp circuit and trying the different solutions could be useful...

Thanks!!

Ciao

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

This is electronic base knowledge that loading a VAS or any actice device degrades its linearity. Of course, some loading is always mandatory for a circuit to work. It is just when we put EXTRA loading with no great benefit in return that it should be avoided. It is always a compromise. There is an optimal value and 15k ohms may not be considered an extra loading for the VAS medium power transistor type used in the DH-200/220 amp.

You can try to simulate it but I do not trust completely simulators or the models used for simulations...but I have access to simple simulator only like Microcap 6. There may be better simulators available.

I have observed one benefit for adding the 15K oms VAS loading in case you regulate the supply of the front end (with no additional voltage supply increase for the front end) like I did. Indeed, it provides a load when transistors turn off while powering off the amp and it avoids small (but hearable) "clicking" noise at output of speaker.

Fab

Last edited:
Hi
...check my 25W class A output mosfet-diff input- JLH converted amp into a DH-200 chassis...

For a complete pcb with my extras, unfortunately I began a prototype with even more extras but never completed it then I decided to use another bigger chassis to go more into class A- class A/B. However, adding the small daughter boards on the existing Hafler pcb is not that difficult and is very cheap.

Where? thanks tony

Hi Fab

This is electronic base knowledge that loading a VAS or any actice device degrades its linearity. Of course, some loading is always mandatory for a circuit to work. It is just when we put EXTRA loading with no great benefit in return that it should be avoided. It is always a compromise.
ok, I don't get the news so far....:scratch:

There is an optimal value and 15k ohms may not be considered an extra loading for the VAS medium power transistor type used in the DH-200/220 amp.
so your judgement is based upon the capability of the driver transistor?
You can try to simulate it but I do not trust completely simulators or the models used for simulations...but I have access to simple simulator only like Microcap 6. There may be better simulators available.
I do not trust them completely either, I'm just trying to find the better way to validate a reasoning...
I have observed one benefit for adding the 15K oms VAS loading in case you regulate the supply of the front end (with no additional voltage supply increase for the front end) like I did. Indeed, it provides a load when transistors turn off while powering off the amp and it avoids small (but hearable) "clicking" noise at output of speaker.
This can be nice, but it is not the main purpose of the mod :rolleyes:

Thanks Fab!

Ciao

Paolo

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Vas....

Hi Fab
ok, I don't get the news so far....:scratch:
Hi Paolo
Sorry if I may have confused you a bit and this is my fault. C9 is really the one that can load the VAS because it represents a short circuit at high frequency. The parallel 15k ohms only affects the open loop gain in relation to frequency - thus the feedback factor at low and mid frequency is reduced (less good) but it is increased at higher frequency (good).

so your judgement is based upon the capability of the driver transistor?
No, see my explanation above.

This can be nice, but it is not the main purpose of the mod :rolleyes:
I know.

In conclusion, you can play with the parallel resistor to adjust the open loop gain in relation to frequency. Install it for both polarities VAS. 100k will not do much effect since it is higher than the impedance of the driver stage - already seen by the VAS. Lower than 5k is probably reducing too much the overall performance of the amp (at least for THD) since the VAS gain will be reduced to less than 50 ((5k ll driver) /100)!

Good luck and Thanks:cool:

Fab

Last edited:
Hi Fab!

Hi Paolo
Sorry if I may have confused you a bit and this is my fault.
no, Fab, it's my fault, seems I still don't have the right global picture:(

I have done my homework ;) and seen the explanation on Self's book about shunt leg compensation, that actually is just as you told me. Seems that I have to read this book all over again, I'm missing some points...

I'll come back then with a lot of questions!

Thanks Fab,

Ciao

Paolo

from post #23

is this a waky idea?

my amp might be located farther away from my preamp than I'd like. so I'm thinking of running balanced cables from the preamp to the amp - BUT - of course modifying both so that the input stage of the amp and the output of the preamp both 'speak' balanced.

OR - before I get too far - is the hafler 200/220 input already floating?? so that really, I wouldn't even have to install a 'receiver' circuit? its been a while since I've opened my DH but I think the inputs are not floating (are they?)

I have a device* to convert unbalanced to balanced. My [SURROUND] amp** has 35' interconnects hence my interest in "balanced drive.".
* Applied Research & Technologies (ART) ** XL280

TO Fab: your reply was change some resistors and some thing about inverted input. Can I get some details? thnx tony