Guitar amplifier project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of designing a complete guitar amplifier.

I have split it into 2 pcb's.
One pcb is a lateral mosfet power amplifier.
The other pcb is the pre amp and power supply.
I have bought a 5u high case for it. This will give plenty of room to space things out.
The heat sink is internal with a fan to keep things cool.
The controls are volume, treble, bass and master volume.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Reminds me of my amp that I designed in the early eighties.
A push-pull-stage with output transformer, current driven, feeds a 15" speaker. With a preceeding soft clipper based on OTA CA 3080. And the power transistors are a pair of BUZ11, still operating seamless after decades;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
This is an actual picture of the amp. The output transformer on the right side contains a bifilar primary winding for the push-pull, but no secondary: The speaker is connected directly to the primary. This gives about 30W/8Ohm with 12V battery supply. The mains transformer delivers 24V= roughly, so there is enough power!

Attachments

• IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I finished the amplifier off today.
Lots of hole punching and drilling.
Measure twice and cut once !

Powered up amplifier and horror of all horrors a hum on the output !
I just connected audio once to smoothing capacitor zero volts but it still hums.

So had to cut ground from amp power supply to pre amp audio ground then connect audio ground straight to power amp input ground.
Now amp is silent with no audio signal.

I thought I understood ground loops but obviously not quite.
Another project and another lesson learnt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.