• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Guess That Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends. Schematic? The CCS I used was a cascode bipolar.

The schematic is attached below, the current is a little less than your measurement subject I think, TP1 is 140V so current is (250-140)/270k = 0.41mA

Not sure what a cascode bipolar looks like TBH, every time I look on the internet I get a different toplogy, some with diodes, some with leds here, leds there, the odd potentiometer etc. Very very confusing. I've attached a picture of what I think a Bipolar cascode current source is (from Walt Jung's paper), but like I say, it could be anything :confused:

I think I understand why people use a resistor ;)

Attachments

• Sheer_mm.png
    Sheer_mm.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 463
  • CCS_BJT.png
    CCS_BJT.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 451
Probably not suitable for that design.

The bipolar CCS I used was a diyAudio group project; I think Greg the Geek was selling boards and documentation for it; it's pretty similar to the designs shown in Morgan Jones's book (though without the misprint, harrumph). The one you showed is actually a ring of two rather than a cascode.

Hehehe, I knew it would be something sneaky right under our noses :D

It could be one of many tubes, that's why I've asked about V/A curves.

The schematic is attached below, the current is a little less than your measurement subject I think, TP1 is 140V so current is (250-140)/270k = 0.41mA

You can use LED and CCS with V2 since it is loaded on a high resistance bootstrapped input.

Last edited:
The particular spectrum I showed was a smooth plate Telefunken. I also tested some small plate eastern European tubes (several brands, all clearly from the same factory). 5 tubes in all (2 Telefunken, 3 small plate), 10 sections, pretty similar results. Haven't tested a JJ, but I have one so I should.

The particular spectrum I showed was a smooth plate Telefunken. I also tested some small plate eastern European tubes (several brands, all clearly from the same factory). 5 tubes in all (2 Telefunken, 3 small plate), 10 sections, pretty similar results. Haven't tested a JJ, but I have one so I should.

Thanks, though I thought I was done hearing about smooth plate Telefunken.:)

John

I'd hope the $100 tube into a near infinite load measured well. The real test is the JJ into a 250K load.

A 250k load is much too low for good performance from this tube- that was one of the points I was trying to make. Most 12AX7 circuits are sub-optimal.

FWIW, the spectra from the cheap eastern European tubes (some bought at Radio Shack!) were pretty much the same as the Telefunken; I just happened to have the Telefunken curves handy. Based on what I saw from the JJ ECC81, I wouldn't be surprised if their ECC83 performed even better.

If I had gotten to this thread earlier, I would've guessed a 1L6. But I guess there probably aren't too many Zenith TransOceanic owners on here, are there?

I have two, both work fine.

Ok, guess what is it, if I don't tell about Volt / Ampere characteristics Tip: it's from my garden.

OK, I have a power supply, a current meter and some clip leads. I have some doubts about the linearity though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.