• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy idea: PEC carbon pot (The P. D. recommended one)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Variac, no offence, but I hope the knobs will look better than that for the PECs. A friend of mine's dad owns a metal workshop, I'm gonna try and talk to him about pricing and if he could actually do that. It's fine to hold off on the chassis group buy (for me atleast) for right now. I'm going to use my current chassis for the lm3886. I'm probably going to make another lm3886 with 100ug BG caps and the pannasonic 22000uf caps on the snubber:D , and a nice chassis is needed for that project:) .

Thanks, any update on the PEC situation?

Josh

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I said that they were cheap and available- not that they were beautiful! ;) Reminds me of someone I used to know...

They have nothing to do with my knob maker.

Just a practical solution for those that don't want the custom knobs or would need a stop gap solution until the custom ones are ready.

The custom knobs are no problem - they ARE beautiful. The problem is that no one wants the concentric pots OR the custom knobs, it appears - and thats what I was interested in ordering.

EDIT: we are up to 19! we need 50 to make this go....., and 100 to get the great price.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My idea was to order just the 25K concentric pots in enough quantity from DigiKey to get a very low price. The previously discussed order was for a mixed batch of pots from another source. From looking at the previous posts, it appeared that many people wanted various values, but almost everyone wanted some 25k. By ordering about 50 of the 25k pots, which is about what people said they wanted, we coud get them radically cheaper than the lowest price of a mixed order from the other source. Radical as in $27 vs. $40 something. We are not allowed to mix values at this price as the are actually manufactured to our spec.

Controversial points:
-This order would eat into the mixed order and migh compromise it.
But the other order seems to be in limbo, and we are talking about a huge drop in price if we ordronly one value.

- Some don't seem to want concentric pots, but Peter pointed out that the regular ones don't track very well. I have used 2 separate mono pots before, but it becomes a pain to adjust them each time. The concentric seems like the best solution IMHO- but I think some want more knob options. I have offered to have some very nice knobs made, but the minimum order is 100. I can also order matching knobs for selectors, or use with non- concentric knobs, but we need the quantities...... If the concentric pots have an outer 1/4" shaft, then they could be used with a conventional knob and set permanantly to have equal output at the most used listening position using a bit of super glue I guess to lock the shafts together.

My plan cannot proceed until 50 people have signed up for them on the WIKI page. This is not a firm order-just a statement that if things go well, this is pprobably what you will order.

1. Just go to WIKI page
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=PEC+Carbon+Potentiometer+Group+Buy
2. Click on "edit this Page"
3. copy the line of the person who listed his order last and insert it below his.
4. Edit the inserted text to reflect your name and quantities.
5. Save

Hey! we are up to 24 possibly interested people! IF you can't deal with the wiki drop me an e-mail, but I think you can figure it out if you try.....!

Variac said:
Brian wrote to ask me to explain the concentric option better.

Concentric shafts means there is an inner 1/8" inch shaft and around it is a shorter 3/8" shaft . Each shaft is connected to one of the gangs.

The cool thing is that you can get knobs that are the same diameters but with different inner holes for the 2 shaft sizes. The one with the bigger hole has the hole all the way through
So: first you mount the pot in the panel, then you put the knob with the big hole on the outer shaft, then you put another knob with the 1/8" hole partway through, on last. That way you have 2 stacked knobs with the same diameter that you can use as I've described above; either grip them both for volume, or grip only one for balance.

The Alps concentric pot mentioned earlier is a bit confusing. I have one, and it seems to be that the first two gangs (I guess I can call it) are for balancing only, the volume does not adjust them, the back 4 gangs are volume adjusting only. when I originally saw these pots I was thought that simply the balance and volume can be adjected while the input/ouput is on the same gang. Or are the PEC pots different from the Alps? Am I using my multimeter wrong?

P.S. figured out how to add myself the to Wiki, thanks :)

Thanks,

Josh

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
edjosh23 said:

The Alps concentric pot mentioned earlier is a bit confusing. I have one, and it seems to be that the first two gangs (I guess I can call it) are for balancing only, the volume does not adjust them, the back 4 gangs are volume adjusting only. when I originally saw these pots I was thought that simply the balance and volume can be adjected while the input/ouput is on the same gang. Or are the PEC pots different from the Alps? Am I using my multimeter wrong?

P.S. figured out how to add myself the to Wiki, thanks :)

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

The Alps one that I gave you this past weekend is a 4 channel 50k pot, with a 2 channel balance on it also. The outer brass ring is the balance with a detent in the middle, and the inner shaft controls the 4 - 50k channels.

This is different that the PEC pot, which will be a stereo pot, with the outside ring for one channel and the inner shaft for the other channel.

--
Brian

You should just go with the mono pots

You will never find happiness using the stereo PEC pots. The matching is not close enough, unless you buy a handfull and cherry pick the closest. Then what do you do with the culls?
I have purchased seven of the log taper mono pots from DigiKey and found that they could be matched up tightly. Ended up having three pairs of 25K pots that matched within 200 ohms. This is less than 1%. One pair was exact, or close as my meter can tell. The actual value varied, 23k to 25K.
In the two preamps having them installed the tracking seems to be perfect. And the sonics are as advertised, first rate. I really think that buying three will get a close matched pair, much closer than the 10% spec of the stereo units.

George

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Now we've heard another vote against the stereo pots

BUT not against the concentric stereo pots necessarily:
The concentric pots I'm proposing are only 2 gang. One gang controlled by the inner shaft to adjust one channel, the other controlled by the outer shaft to adjust the other channel. If the knobs are designed right, you can choose to grab them both at the same time (since they are the same diameter) and adjust both channels. You could then turn just one or the other to tweak the balance if required. If you are just turning up background music, you probably wouldn't even tweak the balance.

OK the two mono pots require you to do two movements for two channels: adjust the volume of one pot, then the other. I have a passive pre like this and I got tired of the routine.

With the concentric pots , you grab both knobs -which are the same diameter and stacked- to adjust volume. THEN, leaving your hand in the same place, you can shift your grip to only one of the knobs to fine tune any channel inbalance. Or NOT, if the balance is OK

I may be wrong, but I think the concentric pot is cheaper than 2 mono pots, for a given quantity.

I definately prefer a single knob (concentric) to a dual mono, I was at BrianGT's house and heard the AMP-1 (dual mono). The dual mono adjustment is hard to get even using pots. I'm sure if they were dual mono stepped attenuators it would be a lot easier to get the same adjustment, but I don't want to spend the money on a stepped attentuator right now (not sure enough with my diy skills).

I understand the PEC concentric pots now, thanks for the explanation

Josh

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Variac said:
With the concentric pots , you grab both knobs -which are the same diameter and stacked- to adjust volume. THEN, leaving your hand in the same place, you can shift your grip to only one of the knobs to fine tune any channel inbalance. Or NOT, if the balance is OK

Wouldn't it be better to just find another pot with better tolerances and have a normal stereo pot?

--
Brian

I don't think you'll find a better pot, if carbon is your thing. The tolerances vary and some of those pots measure better than other.

The advantageof dual shaft (in stereo pot) is that you can permanently adjust correct channel balance (for your most freguently used volume setting), pour some epoxy and forget about it ;)

Who said one has to constantly fiddle with dual knobs?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Often reviewers complain about tracking in pots at low volumes.
even good ones. As mentioned above, that is a big advantage of switched resistor volume controls. As Peter points out, you can always turn it into a better stereo pot with a bit of glue if you want to use a regular knob.

OK, we need people to want another 25 pots !!! Then the price drops greatly!

still watching how this plays out with some of you guys.....
Let me know if any of you want to be taken off.
Sanjeev, got your email & added you to the "list"

cdoggy81: 25K = 1
tg3: 25K = 1
KT: 50k 100k = 2
sbolin: 2 25k = 2
nbaula: 10K = 1
powerp: 2 10K 50K 100K = 4
SvErD: 2 25K 2 100K = 4
IndyAudi: 2 10K 3 25K 3 50K 2 100K = 10
JimD: 25K = 1
Ipolyakov: 25K = 1
x. onasis: 25K = 1
moving_electron: 100K = 1
kestrel200: 2 25K = 2
edjosh23: 25K = 1
motherone: 2 50K = 2
hoyo55: 2 25K 100K = 3
randytsuch: 50K = 1
Variac: 10K = 1
tommak: 25K = 1
mach1: 2 50K = 2
ghkoopman: 50K = 1
Sanjeev: 25K = 1
------------------
Total = 44
------------------
10K - 6
25K - 19
50K - 11
100K - 8

Attachments

• precision pot 001.jpg
    precision pot 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 393
moving_electron said:

Keep in mind I am wanting a 100k linear stereo pot. I am definitely in.
moving_electron, is that even one of the options?

There are basically two shipping prices quoted, one in this thread ($11 flat rate US) and one in the wiki ($4 packing -- is this even a shipping rate?). Which is closer to the real one?

I'd like to order 2 of the 25k log pots, but I would also like to see the price drop to $20. :rolleyes: Anyone care to tell me how unrealistic this is? $30+ for potentiometer and shipping is a tad out of my price range, since that's half the cost of a nice trafo. It's a shame the taiwan alpha dual ganged pots are so hard to find.

Perhaps to eliminate the confusion we should spin off the 25k dual-concentric PEC pot buy into a separate group buy.

Then we would have that and also the original group buy for PEC pots of mixed values, dual-ganged but not dual-concentric.

Would this make sense? I think would eliminate the confusion and speed things up.

KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.