• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy idea: PEC carbon pot (The P. D. recommended one)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, I could go for two at the $25 price tag, but I'm not big on the concentric pot idea. The current Gainclone I'm going to have the pot way back in the chassis to cut down on hum, so I'm not too sure about it. Now that I think about it (I'm going to add a snubber to my Gainclone, that would cut down on my area to place my pot) I don't know, maybe I could go for 1 of each.

Alright, 1 25kk and on concentric 25kk

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry, I've never used a wiki page and don't know how to add my name

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is how I envisioned the knobs. I guess using shafts to the back of the box could be a problem-hadn't thought of that! but I always think if the enclosures for gainclones as tiny!

The idea is that in casual use, one's fingers end up gripping both knobs at once...

Attachments

• connob.jpg
    connob.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 302
edjosh23 said:
well, I could go for two at the $25 price tag, but I'm not big on the concentric pot idea. The current Gainclone I'm going to have the pot way back in the chassis to cut down on hum, so I'm not too sure about it. Now that I think about it (I'm going to add a snubber to my Gainclone, that would cut down on my area to place my pot) I don't know, maybe I could go for 1 of each.

Alright, 1 25kk and on concentric 25kk

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry, I've never used a wiki page and don't know how to add my name

hmmm....I am in the same position Josh is in, I am using extension rods to connect the pot to the knob on front. So unless we can come up with concentric extension rods (two hollow rods maybe?) I will have to withdraw my concentric pots too, and just go with the standard pots.

Variac said:
A sample of one of htis guys knobs on my gainclone

Variac- Any way you can do a little closer view? It is sort of hard to see. Did your guy do the hand holds, too? Also, can this guy do very simple chassis, too? As much as I love Peter's chassis, I can't afford any more, but I have two more gainclones to build. It would be nice to have a decent looking chassis, but low cost. Or I will just have to win the lotto so I can buy some more of Peter's kits!

Also, can this guy do very simple chassis, too? As much as I love Peter's chassis, I can't afford any more, but I have two more gainclones to build. It would be nice to have a decent looking chassis, but low cost. Or I will just have to win the lotto so I can buy some more of Peter's kits! [/B]

I was not a member of the forum when that chasis group buy went on, and I'm definately up for a chassis group buy!
And on peter's site the chasis are about $200 or so which is over my head

[OT]
I have two of Peter's chassis, and if you can afford them they really are fantastic. My wife isn't into these kits, but she was really impressed with Peter's Integrated kit. Even so, I don't think I could convince her that we really need another one, but if they ever went down to the group buy price of $150 I would get one more. In all honesty I just need a cut rate version, but complete, like Peter's kits - I mean, minimal work to be done on my part other than assembly.
[/OT]

OT about chassis

I'm up for getting a chassis group buy, this could be for the new lm3886 kit. With the 3886, a snubber, and the PEC pot we could have a killer :smash: clone, and there is the group buy on rca and binding posts that are high quality and pretty inexpensive too. If someone can tell me who to talk to I'd be interested in organizing or helping atleast.

Thanks,

Josh (trying to keep this thread running, not many things have been said and don't want it to fall off the website :worried: )

Josh-

I'm interested in that, a nice looking but simple (low cost) chassis, good (but not high end) pots, binding posts, etc would be great. I would like to get the Brian's new LM3886 kit, but really want a nice looking, low cost chassis. I would go for a combined group purchase, but am afraid the interest will be even lower the the PEC pot :cannotbe:

Sbolin,
Well if we can come up with a good design and a cheap price tag we can get quite a few people, but definately not as many as P.D. Ofcourse coming with a good design and a cheap price is what everyone tries to do. If not very many people, then we don't do it, or we can have like 10 made or something and use them and try and sell them, at somepoint a noob will want to buy a nice chassis ;) .

Hello all :) I didn't want you guys to think I forgot about all this. I wanted to see where this thing is heading + I've been super busy at work (= not that much free time).

I can also look into the chassis issue as well because my friend can get aluminum & copper sheets/parts. It wouldn't be as refined as Peter's sweet chassis but it would be cheaper. It all depends on how much work you want to put in. Yes, life IS a compromise :D

That would be great, we could put together a cut-rate chassis kit, including POT, switch, etc. You may want to talk to Peter about how much work it is, though ;)

My only request is that it basically have everything drilled out, we just assemble it. Sort of better than a off the shelf box, but not too fancy.

Also, it is probably better etiquette if the 'cheap chassis' becomes its own thread separate from this one. The PEC pot continues here, and the 'cheap chassis' thread move elsewhere.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
whoops, I was offering to start a new thread for people that wanted to make a chassis- not for me to organize a chassis buy!

My guy only makes knobs- knobs and more knobs -no chassis. so, until there is more evidence of a chassis project going ahead , maybe we should hold off....

Speaking of coaxial knobs:
here are some that are cheap and available (a good quality in many circumstances ;) )

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=3003+KN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.