• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

excuse mine which may seem trivial to some. I am building the t-reg for the first time and I am still in the component purchasing phase. I ordered them on mouser and found that many components of the excell list were already in kit form. never mind it will mean that in case of failure I will have them in reserve.
adello my damanda on the excell sheets the last line of the resistors is written; R16 2.2 res50 1 W film resistor current limit set; see text for actual value!

my stage should run at 45V and 9mA approximately. the suggestion that I was given is to supply a current x5 compared to what the stage will work teally, so I would like 50 mA. how do i get 50 mA from my boards? ie what is the value you want for r16 in order to get 50 mA? thank you
Salvatore Aragona

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's all in the article....

Jan

Attachments

• treg1.PNG
    treg1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 141
  • treg2.PNG
    treg2.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 134
Update om my T-Reg regulator use to my 4p1l preamp

going from Cornell Dubilier caps on C3 and C6 ,, i use now Intertechnik Audyn Cap Reference 0.33uf on C3

and fostex cs copper-tin foil 3uf on C6 ,,, and C4 is Duelund CU 0.47 uf

this give me a very nice sound,, better from buttom to top ,,, buttom is more full and deep

so for me is good caps a must

best Bjarne

I have built a 2stage SET amp with a regulator on each tube. The amp is dead silent (Coleman regulators on the filaments, small as possible loop areas, etc...). To me there is a subjective sound difference when using either a T-Reg or an LC for decoupling of the output stage.
According to some just one regulator on the driver tube is enough and preferable.

Update. Doing some routine maintenance on my amplifier, I decided that I wasn't all that thrilled with the heat sink being at 420 volts so I harvested some silicon heat sink insulation from an old computer power supply and installed it behind Q1 and Q7. Now there's less chance of getting zapped if my hand slips while poking around in there.

IMG_2041.jpeg

Joined 2016
Paid Member
That's why the first thing we learned in the lab was: "always keep your left hand in your pocket if you start poking around in the equipment". I still do that reflexively.
Also, after a high-voltage shock - always a trip to the hospital because of the risk of internal blod clotting from the current running through you, which might lead to problems a short time afterwards ...

It was 1975, RCA was getting ready to close down its tube factories, Laurence Nagel was doing his PhD at UCB on a thing called SPICE, The C Programming Language was yet to be published... Things were not as organized as they are today. It was quite a shock, but I got away without any consequence that I know of.

Sadly, I managed to destroy every bit of silicon in my T-Reg in a pyrotechnic display! Every bit I can test anyway.

I'd previously tested the regulator separately and it worked fine.

Despite double-checking the wiring I suspect an error incorporating it into my 300B SE amp causing it to try to drive a short-circuit. The regulator was set for 400V and preceded by a SMPS HT supply producing 420V, also checked and working fine.

A chunk of Q8 was a metre away, R2 and R5 were obviously destroyed which was puzzling. Q7 was a short. The 3 small-signal transistors all dead as was D4 the 5.6V zener. I assume the op amp has had it.

Q8, the IXTP08N100D2, is unobtanium at the moment so there was no option but to order a new kit from the diyAudio store.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, heck, I know the feeling. I misplaced a nut only to find that it had lodged itself under the circuit board of Jan's high voltage delay device and turned some high wattage resistors into light bulbs. Had to order up a new HV delay device and a T-Reg, bought a spare because I know some of the FETs are at "end of life," as the mail order houses announce.

I figure that trial and error and error is always part of the fun of learning as long as you don't turn any vital organs into resistors.