• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

Apologies for the writing error - I wrote it on a phone in a hurry on a hospital bed.
It should be 'That is enough leeway while still having protection for failures.'

Jan
Did you get the T-reg? That is a series reg, and as such doesn't need to set a shunt current.
What you should do is set the current limit to something like 5 x the expected load current.
That is enough leewing while still having protetion for failures.

Jan
ho comprato il T-reg V5 nel negozio del link qui sotto

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/linear-audio-t-reg

I bought it after reading a comparison article made on a group of different controllers. the article is visible at the following link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2CcSrnjXFsU10eGOggAgas
in the comparison the Jung / Diedder regulator obtains excellent evaluations and, after several researches on the net, I came to the T-reg v5 that I bought. Also, in the reviews of the t-reg v5 there is a positive review of a user who replaced his failed superregs with the t-reg v5 in his preamplifier RTP3D. based on this I have considered buying them in the hope that they will give excellent sound results. I will use them in a high gain phono stage, I have no experience with regulated power supplies neither series nor shunt. I hope for your help
as for the sound results it is impossible to know before having edited and listened to. I am consoled by the fact that a card like the t-reg v5 would seem a good basis for having clean voltage supplies and useful variables to be able to experiment with different working points. Basically like having a variable voltage power supply for the workbench.

hi there. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to start troubleshooting my failed attempt at building this board.

My problem is that there isn‘t any regulation of the voltage. Whatever comes in Vi is the same as what goes out Vo, and it’s not stable. The trim pot also doesn’t seem to affect things much if at all. I have R11 set to trim down to around 290 volts (500k ohms). But that doesn’t seem to matter. maybe it’s U2? So if anyone can think of a part that may have failed that would cause this, and how to test it, that would be great.

Ho appena ricevuto le carte t-reg. chiedo in V in posso entrare con dc, quindi dopo il trasformatore di alimentazione, i diodi raddrizzatori e il filtro CLC? dopo il regolatore, cioè a valle della V out, può essere conveniente inserire un filtro RC aggiuntivo? o il filtro RC in uscita degraderebbe le prestazioni. grazie.

I just got the t-reg cards. i ask in V in can i enter with dc, then after the power transformer, rectifier diodes and CLC filter? after the regulator, ie downstream of V out, can it be convenient to put an additional RC filter? or the outgoing RC filter would degrade performance. thank you.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just got the t-reg cards. i ask in V in can i enter with dc, then after the power transformer, rectifier diodes and CLC filter? after the regulator, ie downstream of V out, can it be convenient to put an additional RC filter? or the outgoing RC filter would degrade performance. thank you.
You can put RLC anything between rectifier and T-reg input, but the effect will be very limited.
Do not put any R-C at the T-reg output, you will destroy the low output impedance (and maybe the low noise).

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi there. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to start troubleshooting my failed attempt at building this board.

My problem is that there isn‘t any regulation of the voltage. Whatever comes in Vi is the same as what goes out Vo, and it’s not stable. The trim pot also doesn’t seem to affect things much if at all. I have R11 set to trim down to around 290 volts (500k ohms). But that doesn’t seem to matter. maybe it’s U2? So if anyone can think of a part that may have failed that would cause this, and how to test it, that would be great.
Hi Eric, did this get resolved yet? If not, can you give us some info?
What is the input voltage you use, how much is the output voltage?
Can you measure the voltage between gate and source of Q1 ?

Jan

Hi Eric, did this get resolved yet? If not, can you give us some info?
What is the input voltage you use, how much is the output voltage?
Can you measure the voltage between gate and source of Q1 ?

Jan
hi Jan

thanks for the support. I measured source and gate of Q1 and got 5.8 volts. Vi and the desired Vo is a pretty big difference currently. When the regulator is loaded with a resistor I get 370v in and a desired Vo of 290v. I’m waiting on some resistors to drop the Vi down (and eventually a new transformer). This is my first attempt at designing my own power supply (minus your regulator) and my calculations weren’t correct. I wasn’t planning on running the regulator with that large of a drop. I was only doing it for testing.

After further reading and learning, and I’m probably wrong, but I was wondering if the voltage differential between Vi and Vo is causing an issue with Q8. When I measure the voltage difference between pin 7 of U2 and the point between R13 and D4, I get less than a volt. like 0.1 volts.

thanks again

Eric

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll look into it later today, but be aware that the T-reg needs at least 3 or 4mA load to function.
It will not regulate if there is no load at all.
And don't change Vi or transformer at this time, that a waste, we first have to get the regulator working.
Actually your measurement shows it IS working but possibly too low load.
Does it work correctly with a small load like 20mA?

Edit: I think you are saying it works OK, 390Vin and desired 290Vo under load. So what is the problem actually?

Jan

Last edited:
I'll look into it later today, but be aware that the T-reg needs at least 3 or 4mA load to function.
It will not regulate if there is no load at all.
And don't change Vi or transformer at this time, that a waste, we first have to get the regulator working.
Actually your measurement shows it IS working but possibly too low load.
Does it work correctly with a small load like 20mA?

Edit: I think you are saying it works OK, 390Vin and desired 290Vo under load. So what is the problem actually?

Jan
oh, sorry, that was confusing. I was trying to say that I want Vo to be 290 but was getting 370.

But you were right in that my test load resister was too large. I put a smaller resister in to get more current and now the regulator is showing 300V. A good thing! Thanks!

can I use a single power transformer followed by a single filter like this to power two t reg cards for the left and right channels?
15722-module-alim-lineaire-inpage2.jpg

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Update. I've been running two T-reg 5s on my dual-mono modified HH Scott tube amp since early last December and they have stayed within a volt or two of the 420V plate voltage ever since I'd set them back then.

The meters in measuring those voltages are generic Ebay Chinese 0-500V DC ones that I've included in a meter bridge behind the amp. It also monitors line voltage, bias supply and individual bias settings for the 7189 output tubes. Makes a nifty light show in the dark.

EB2CE9A7-58D7-4E78-A952-9CFEDABB2001.jpeg