• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy: Fane 8M Studio 50 units production run

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Josh,

I am sure you will be able to get in touch with John tomorrow or on Monday.

I would like to say a special thank you to everyone who have made this limited run Fane 8Ms become reality, and I am sure everyone will agree that our Australian friends deserve a special round of applause for taking up a third or more of the minimum order. I hope we will get a chance to hear from your various experiences at a later date.

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello everyone,

I have heard from John Bryant of Audio Components that he has taken payments from nearly everyone on the list I provided him with only a couple of exceptions.

I have not heard from Gregg Jenkins and I imagine he may be on holiday or on leave. If anyone in Australia can contact him, can you please ask him to contact John Bryant or myself?

As for 'Enigma' and 'JCR33', also from Australia, I have a feeling they have been in touch and made their payments but cannot associate their monikers with the names we have on file. It would be great if those three persons could contact me or John so we can place the order with Fane by the end of next week.

Best regards
Rakesh

Last edited:
Hello,

Just a small update regarding remaining payments.

Tax tells me that 'Enigma,' whose name I still do not know, has already paid.

Gregg Jenkins has been trying to get in touch (there must have been a problem with the email he sent John as John does not have it on file) and will be making his payment today I understand.

Tax has been in touch to let me know that JCR33 is in Milan and will be paying very soon or have someone pay on his behalf. Given that I posted the request and details how to make payments about 4 weeks' back, it would have been nice if these orders had been settled already...but at least we are now so so close to wrapping this up.

Thanks to everyone, especially all those who made things easier for me by contacting John and making their payments promptly.

Best regards
Rakesh

P.S. I am being asked for John's telephone number at Audio Components. For those who want to find it quickly, here it is again 00 (44) 118 989 0151

Latest update: Fane to ship Sample Unit for tests

Hello everyone,

We contacted Fane International yesterday to place the order for the 25 pairs of Fane 8Ms Studios.

Fane has decided to send us a sample unit to check that it complies with the specifications of the original Fane 8Ms units. John of Audio Components will test this sample unit and the order will then proceed.

Although on a positive note, this should further alleviate any lingering doubts that anyone may still harbour that Fane will not comply with the original specs, if some of you are wondering why it is only now that Fane is offering us a sample unit, I confess to being myself puzzled by this (maybe they doubted this order would actually materialise?). As it is, it will add a few days to the time when the order will be actually placed with Fane.

JCR33, it would be great if you could make a payment for your pair of Fane 8Ms, or have someone make that payment on your behalf as Tax suggested.

Best regards
Rakesh

As this may be of interest, I am copying below an email from Fane we received earlier today:

Hello John,

Good Afternoon, Thank you for arranging your payment we have now received this into our account

I have spoken with production and scheduled your sample model for manufacture; this will be ready early next week. As soon as the speaker is ready we will despatch to the address provided.

All our loudspeakers must pass various quality controls testing prior to despatch

Best Regards

Daniel Barnes

Hi Gregg and 'IslandPink,'

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

I am hoping to carry out some comparisons but it is not all as straigthforward as it sounds unfortunately. There are a number of issues.

John Bryant of Audio Components does not have access to any vintage 8Ms drivers and will merely measure the production unit sample and compare with published Fane 8M specifications.

As you know, my two pairs of 'vintage' Fane 8Ms drivers are with Fane, where they will be reconed, (making them more 'new' production units) so taking them out of the equation as far as comparing with original drivers are concerned.

So I am hoping to take the sample once John Bryant has finished with it and take it to a friend who uses vintage Fane 8Ms (I think he has two such pairs) in a Stereolab 140Hz tractrix (albeit with no back chamber) that he uses with Vitavox S2 and/or S3 above.

I have one additional unit that I bought, condition unknown, from someone in France but this is going to the person who is building my 115Hz tractrix. You need to remember that if I had been told anything about a sample unit prior to last week, I could and would have organised things differently. As it is, I can only do the best I can with the means at my immediate disposal, whilst obviating the need to add any further delay to the manufacture of the drivers.

I cannot conceive of a situation where Fane International would get themselves in the right horrible mess of providing a sample unit that does not conform with published specifications that they themselves provided me with so I am as reasonably sure as anyone can be that everything will be fine.

Best regards
Rakesh

JCR33: payment for your pair of Fane 8Ms

Jack,

It has been a little while since Tax told me that you were in Milan but would be making payment for your drivers very soon. He even offered to make that payment, which I thought was unnecessary at the time since I expected you to be paying within the next few days. At the end of the day, it only takes an email or a phone call to do so.

Can I again (for the third and hopefully the last time) kindly ask you to make your payment as soon as possible?

Many thanks

Rakesh

This is the latest email we have received from Fane.

Hi John,

Good Morning, I have spoken with production as discussed yesterday and they will provide you with all the test information that you require.

The testing however will take a few days to complete as our production and technical department are currently very busy. I have been informed we can have the results ready by the middle of next week?

As soon as the testing has been complete we will despatch your goods

Best Regards

Daniel

Like everyone here, I am disappointed that it is taking so long but at this point it is not at all within my control. I would only reiterate that on the positive side, it is clear that Fane is taking the production and quality control of these drivers very seriously indeed, probably prompted by the amount of bad publicity that would result if they do not deliver. Oh the wonders of 'internet pressure!'

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello Jack Cheung,

I am afraid that you have put me in an embarassing situation where I have to again ask you to get in touch with me. Even though you placed what I call a 'confirmed order,' there is no mechanism that exists to compel you to keep to your commitment.

At least let us know that you are not interested anymore, and I will take over your order myself. Given the care that Fane seems to be putting in the production, I can only imagine these drivers will increase in value over time and I will just sell your pair as rare collector's item in two years' time at $1000 plus as Romy suggested!

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello Jack Cheung,

I am afraid that you have put me in an embarassing situation where I have to again ask you to get in touch with me. Even though you placed what I call a 'confirmed order,' there is no mechanism that exists to compel you to keep to your commitment.

At least let us know that you are not interested anymore, and I will take over your order myself. Given the care that Fane seems to be putting in the production, I can only imagine these drivers will increase in value over time and I will just sell your pair as rare collector's item in two years' time at $1000 plus as Romy suggested!

Best regards
Rakesh

Hi Rakesh,

I will try and contact JCR today and get back to you with regards to what is happening. I am not sure whether he is a DIYA member so may not have seen these posts. Unfortunately I was in Singapore for work last week and got back to Sydney yesterday so am not sure what has happened here.

Kind regards
Tax

Hi Tax,

Jack finally got in touch with John and myself. He paid for his 8Ms drivers. Partly based on my advice, itself based on some old posts at Romy's site, he has decided to go for 16 Ohms drivers.

I am just slightly concerned that Avantgarde may have changed their drivers to 8 Ohms drivers over the course of time. Can anyone unambiguously shed some light on the drivers used in the Avantgarde Trios where Jack will be using the Fane 8Ms?

Best regards
Rakesh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.