Groundside Electrons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ground control to Major Tom........ ground control to Major Tom.... please land here MUSICDIRECT - AUDIO PRISM - GROUND CONTROL with SPADES (PR)

OMG
Bud

Hi Bud - long time no talk but when I saw my email this morning there was a message about your thread and I thought the Ground control to Major Tom might have been an attempt by you to get my attention. Eh- guess not but at least it's a good excuse to drop by for a visit and see what's been happening lately with your little loops of wire.

A quick search of the 'net shows that the people that are making these are up in your neck of the woods. Are you working with them or have they chosen to pluck your idea off of the branch of low hanging fruit from the tree of other peoples good ideas? I sure hope that are being honorable enough to present you with some type of royalty for the ones they sell.

AudioPrism
is a registered trademark of
AP Labs, LLC.

ADDRESS
P.O. Box 24203
Seattle, WA 98124

Hi Thomas,

They are honorable. We used to sell them outputs for their two tube amplifiers, then they got purchased by Red Rose and we sold them outputs for their two tube amplifiers and then it all fell apart, just as it always does. One of the ways the honorable people in the original organization are trying to pay us back, for loses, is to market these little loops. They are responsible for some other very effective and thus onerously argued about "Tweaks", for which the science involved is as poorly understood as it is with, now, Ground Control.

Bud

OK, some time ago I bought a few feet of Litz wire to try this tweek. Built two nice looking red loops per instructions, but then I couldn't figure out how to burn off the enamel to solder the ends together. Any suggestions? My 100 watt soldering gun didn't work (but I didn't try to burn off the enamel on each individual strand). Project died at that stage as I had other projects on the bench. Any suggestions?

OK, some time ago I bought a few feet of Litz wire to try this tweek. Built two nice looking red loops per instructions, but then I couldn't figure out how to burn off the enamel to solder the ends together. Any suggestions? My 100 watt soldering gun didn't work (but I didn't try to burn off the enamel on each individual strand). Project died at that stage as I had other projects on the bench. Any suggestions?

G'day Carl.

Soldering irons won't do it properly and it's impractical to burn individual strands.
You need some serious heat to make these properly.

My very dodgy and not recommended approach: folded an old metal spoon into a tube shape using a bench vice and a hammer. It's held firmly in the vice and heated using a hand held propane burner.

** Make sure you cut off the ends of the loops as per Bud's instructions.

When the solder is hot enough, dipping the tail into it burns the enamel off with a considerable puff of smoke.
Safety glasses are mandatory and breathing the smoke is not a good idea either.

I'll try and post some pics tonight.

Cheers,

Alex

The pros use a solder pot for that. The rest of us cry.

With really fine wire a solder pot is the only way to go. Also try to find some of the Kester alcohol based liquid flux. Using isoprpyl 99.9% pure alky make a weak tea colored solution using a lot more alky than called for in the brochure. Dip the wire ends and right into the solder. The alky will ablate the insulation and the wires down inside of the packet will be as clean and well soldered as the outside. Kester will very often provide a free sample of their chemicals if you can represent yourself as a company looking for a solution. Solder pots can be had for less than $100.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.