• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ground Plane vs Star earth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Given that one has an umbilical cable from an outboard power supply, what's the best way to arrange the grounding?

Do I do most but not all of the filtering in the outboard unit and then set up the star ground on the amp proper with the final filtering cap negative terminal going to it?

I have a 3 leg pi filter (CRCRC) so I figured that having the first CRC in the outboard supply and the final filter local would be best practice anyhow...

Thoughts?

Makes sense to have the rectifier and 1st stage filter loop in the PS box.

I would connect the line cord safety ground to the PS chassis and carry it through the umbilical to the signal box. I'd float all of the power suppies in the PS box and arrange the star ground at the signal box. That means no common returns in the PS box. Probably would be hard to do this in a product-safe way without long safety ground pins on the connectors.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.