Great audiophile recordings/albums

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The cd is good also

One of the best : (back Cover, company is OVIDIS)

I have a bunch of those 78 : not very hifi but very cool :)

I may be wrong, but I think a CD from Billy Joel was the first available (or one of the first available). The Dire Straits came quite a bit later.

Kurt

"dire straits" brothers in arms wasn't the first CD avaliable,
it was the first one to be recorded ,mixed and mastered on a digital equipment.

the "moody blues" days of future passed (1972 remix version)
has the best orchestra recording i ever heard (till now:D)

4a3581b0c8a03cdb74c0d110.L.jpg

ABBAs 'The Visitors' preceded 'Brothers In Arms' by 3 or 4 years in being digitally recorded, mixed and mastered (DDD).
The first digitally recorded non-classical album was Ry Cooders 'Bop 'Til You Drop' album from '79.

I always thought the first digitally recorded 'pop' album was Ry Cooder's
'Bop 'Til You Drop'
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the blurb at the time.

When I sold hi-fi between 74 and 79 my favourite demo's were;
Frank Zappa - 'One Size Fits All' (particularly the track 'Sofa No. 1')
This album also comes up great on the Au20 Gold re-issue
Edgard Varese - 'Integrales' Nonesuch label (CD also good)
Alan Parsons Project - 'I, Robot'
Silver Convention (not my cup'o'tea, but impressed the disco boys)

and of course the usual Lincoln Mayorga poop...and the Thelma Houston album etc.

edit: oop! sorry Chuck...I didn't see you'd already mentioned the Ry cooder LOL

Last edited:
I find his name in a lot of well-produced albums as the mastering or re-mastering chap. I think all my Dire Straits albums have his name, and they are some of the best-sounding, most smooth-sounding (I think people call it "analog sounding") CDs of rock that I've heard. I think he also did the recent Abkco SACD releases of the Stones albums. Is his involvement a sign that one should pick up an unfamiliar album to try out?

Yeah...Bob Ludwig for mastering....Ken Scott for production

Bob Ludwig did a great job on remastering Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere"
I reckon Bob Stone (who helped Frank remaster most of the other albums) has a tin ear

Ken Scott's great...have a listen to the Tubes 'Young and Rich'
(particularly Prairie Prince's drum sound on the title track)
the CD is dissapointing...get the vinyl

BTW Ken Scott turned up on the Gearslutz forum a few years back..
it's great to be able to praise these geniuses in person sometimes..
isn't the internet wonderful!