Great audiophile recordings/albums

Ella and Louis

There is also a difference between CD's.
One of my favorite jazz albums ,sounds great on LP. The 1st CD version was also very good but in the 90's they came with a 24bit remastered version which sounds absolutely horrible. The mastering is important.
MI0002018029.jpg

Same with Ella and Louis,
1th CD version sounded fine but the 20bit version was horrible.
220px-Ellaandlouis.jpg

One more Blues/Americana album. This album has a gorgeous low end, the upright bass is incredible well recorded.
This is one of the albums/downloads I use for tuning ports.

Tornv-2300shadow.png

Sound Liaison Music Shop
some reviews;

Good to see a Carmen Gomes fan here! Great sounding album indeed.
My favorite track is Love in Vain, great guitar intro.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Love in Vain;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDJDAX_zgc

Last edited:
Could you describe in sufficient detail for others to replicate how you tune the ports using an album?

Ben

I have a variable low cut filter(high pass).
The circuit was designed to create a high-pass filter that can be variably change to work with frequency range from 20 Hz to 200 Hz.

High Pass Filter – an electronic circuit that allows the passage of high frequencies while opposing any unwanted low frequency components
TL072 – a low noise JFET input operational amplifier with features such as common-mode input voltage range, high slew rate, operation without latch up, compensated internal frequency, high input impedance at the JFET input stage, low noise, low total harmonic distortion, protected from output short circuit, low input bias and offset currents, wide common-mode and differential voltage ranges, and low power consumption

and on another project a variable port length.
For NX-BT-003, the outside flange is 97mm, the mounting holes are at 87mm pitch, and it requires a 77mm Dia Hole Cutout. The length of the Bass tube is variable from 130mm to 250mm.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I put on an album with a well recorded low bass, and adjust the port or filter until it suits the room, using my ears.

Last edited:
Low end definition

One more Blues/Americana album. This album has a gorgeous low end, the upright bass is incredible well recorded.
This is one of the albums/downloads I use for tuning ports.

Tornv-2300shadow.png

Sound Liaison Music Shop
some reviews;

Funny that you use the above album for low end tuning. Some of the members of the whats best forum use her other album; Thousand Shades of Blue.
see link;Good Music for testing Audio Equipment
Sound stage and definition

1. Carmen Gomes inc; '' I'm on fire'' from Thousand Shades of Blue

Sound Liaison Music Shop

Placement is perfect on this young audiophile classic as well as the near perfect natural recording of the voice, but the real test for audio equipment when listening to this recording is it's ability to separate the kickdrum from the upright bass.
The two instruments are playing the same pattern. On less than optimum equipment it might be difficult to separate the two, but with good setup you clearly hear the upright at 2.00 and the kick dead center with a nice decay that one generally do not hear on commercial recordings.
There are lots of speakers and headphones with ''extended lows'' but low with definition is a whole different ballgame.

Motional feedback means that some kind of signal representing the output of the speaker is used as corrective feedback. Speakers (excepting ESLs) produce distortion 10 to 100 times worse than the boutique amps people spend fortunes to buy and are grossly deficient in transient performance, etc.

There's a substantial literature about MF including at DIYaudio.

Ben

Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Funny that you use the above album for low end tuning. Some of the members of the whats best forum use her other album; Thousand Shades of Blue.
Yes, that is an exceptionally well recorded album.
Sound stage and definition

1. Carmen Gomes inc; '' I'm on fire'' from Thousand Shades of Blue

Sound Liaison Music Shop

Placement is perfect on this young audiophile classic as well as the near perfect natural recording of the voice, but the real test for audio equipment when listening to this recording is it's ability to separate the kickdrum from the upright bass.
The two instruments are playing the same pattern. On less than optimum equipment it might be difficult to separate the two, but with good setup you clearly hear the upright at 2.00 and the kick dead center with a nice decay that one generally do not hear on commercial recordings.
There are lots of speakers and headphones with ''extended lows'' but low with definition is a whole different ballgame.

Last edited:
Jacques Loussier: 80th Birthday Collection

When I studied physics (long time ago) many of us music maniacs who were open to classics as well as to jazz hardly could stand a day without playing at least one of Loussier's LPs. Years went by, and musical likes and dislikes changed.

Several weeks ago I stumbled over a late Loussier Trio recording on a CD sampler - and immediately was captured by the musical depth, the audible intimacy between the band members, and the overall technical quality published by Telarc.

I immediately bought the album 'Jacques Loussier Trio Plays Bach: My Personal Favourites', published to celebrate Loussier's 80th birthday. Highly recommended - if you're open for a free Bach interpretation by a great jazz trio. Outstanding technical quality.

Attachments

• loussier.jpg
    loussier.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 314
Sound Liaison Music Shop
But wouldn't you agree the whole process would result in better sound and in much less time if you started with free REW software and an inexpensive mic?

Ben
You are probably right. I just like the ''ear thing''. It is slow but it's a hobby and I like the human factor. But I will look into the REW thing.

Last edited: