Great audiophile recordings/albums

Actually, it is the reverse. The most dynamic range you will get out of vinyl is about 70db. With redbook CD(16/44.1khz), its 96db. Analog tape gets you about 80db before saturation happens.

Technically yes in reality no , digital is so bad here to analog it hurts , most recently a diehard digital friend brought his telarc cd of the Carmina Burana recording and it was pretty lame vs my analog copy, VERY LAME ...!

Pretty much my experiences with digital and analog copies , for some reason the industry has not been able to capitalize on the benifits and digital noise kills some of the dynamics you are refering to ...

just what analog recording/playback media are you thinking of - not LP, not common 1/2" tape, are you the owner of a 1" or 2" pro studio recorder? - still doesn't beat CD audio dynamic range with perceptual noise shaped dither...

Not so sure of that , what are the cutters limited to ..? Anyway my
LP or any of my mastering tapes sound more dynamic than my digital , there is also a timing issue when listening to the analog vs digital , its subjectively better and its agreed by 9 out of ten individuals who are given the chance to hear it. If analog surface noise bothers then its digital if not , its a no brainer ...

That is the really sad thing because it should not be that way.
Technically the CD medium is capable of a much greater dynamic range than the LP but the vast majority of remastered CDs since the mid to late '90s does have a much lower dynamic range than the original vinyl releases.

+10 ....

Let's say your noise floor in your room is 40db. You are going to playback a recording with 60-65db of dynamic range. So to hear everything in the recording, the lowest level in the recording has to exceed the noise floor of the room. So 40db is where you start, and to get the peak volume your system must playback at 105db peak. Now raise that noise floor to 50db, and now the system must playback levels of 115db. Can you see where this is going, and why compression(light) is needed?

Maybe not sure how much compression PROF Johnson uses on his recordings , but his stuff does swing , as Does Dave wilsons recordings , best at getting it like analog to me ..

FYI: When sound is produced by a loudspeaker it is not digital, it is analog.

By the way, you did say subjectively, but who are the 10 subjective individuals?

Members of the Audio Urban legend club ....:)

Seriously Scott , I'm sure you are not interested in hearing of the exhaustive listening testing and monies spent on digital to ditch analog...

You seem more like a data guy ....:)

Then these were obviously small band recordings. I can record a 8 piece wind esemble without compression easy. However things change dramatically as you add instruments to the mix. There is no way to playback a uncompressed recording of a 110 piece orchestra in our living rooms, the background level(ambient) is too high. Do you really think your system or anyone you know system can playback 115-120db above a typical background level of 40-50db? I would love to hear a system that could do 170db in room.

This idea that no compression is better than ANY compression is pretty rediculous. There is good compression used to scale down the overall peaks, and there is limiting which is behind the loudness wars. Compression is pretty gentle, limiting is pretty darn aggressive. Compression can be inaudible, there is no way limiting can - you are going to hear it.
Why do the quietest parts of the recording need to be clearly heard?

Scott,

Theres an immediacy to analog that is not there with digital CD's, SACD and other hi res format improves digital glare , but not its timing..

The final test is in the listening , the medium intended use, its not subtle as i stated before most when given the opporturnity to listen hear it ...

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the clarification oh wise and benevolent one. You are a true audio guru. I bow to your knowledge and experience. Please allow me to bask in the overflowing greatness of your expertise and grandeur regarding all matters related to the wonderful world of analog music reproduction. Please accept my humble request to learn from a true master.

Scott,

Theres an immediacy to analog that is not there with digital CD's, SACD and other hi res format imoroves digital glare , but not its timing..

The final test is in the listening , the medium intended use...

Regards

Last edited:
Its close now days with the technology but it still sounds fake so to speak, I don't care what type of music it is but played through something with a tube output section it just has this Real Life sound to it to me. everything more hauntingly real/warmer sounding more dynamic especially Voices. I strongly suggest for the audio enthusiast to have a tube console of some sort, maybe its just me but I'm hearing a BIG difference.