GOTO 6-way TimeAligned Horn System

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Back in message #334 Peter said (concerning AMTs):

"I hope to try out the new ones (4 in a straight line [2 in parallel, 2 in series] achieving a 98 dB/1w - 4 Ohm sensitivity) at some point in the winter to come."

Let me caution that you are dealing with slotted aperture drivers (describes AMTs, ribbons, etc.) which have limited vertical dispersion. Thus an array of such drivers will not have overlapping vertical gain across the frequency band. In fact the vertical dispersion will trend toward the height of the aperture at the upper end of the frequency band (thus no vertical gain over an individual driver at the upper frequency extreme). As an example you can see this behavior in the plots for a Munford AMT at:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...dorf-amt27d1.1-dipole-air-motion-tweeter-amt/

Bottom line is don't count on significant arrayed gain with AMT drivers. You should take some measurements to assess your overall sensitivity.

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. There should be sufficient headroom anyway, though, as power handling is increased 4 times.

Best regards
Peter

Back in message #334 Peter said (concerning AMTs):

"I hope to try out the new ones (4 in a straight line [2 in parallel, 2 in series] achieving a 98 dB/1w - 4 Ohm sensitivity) at some point in the winter to come."

Let me caution that you are dealing with slotted aperture drivers (describes AMTs, ribbons, etc.) which have limited vertical dispersion. Thus an array of such drivers will not have overlapping vertical gain across the frequency band. In fact the vertical dispersion will trend toward the height of the aperture at the upper end of the frequency band (thus no vertical gain over an individual driver at the upper frequency extreme). As an example you can see this behavior in the plots for a Munford AMT at:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...dorf-amt27d1.1-dipole-air-motion-tweeter-amt/

Bottom line is don't count on significant arrayed gain with AMT drivers. You should take some measurements to assess your overall sensitivity.

All horns are baffles but not all baffles are horns and you may combine a flat one with a horn in some cases to an acoustical advantage. WHG

True! What I want is to get 500hz with smallest possible diameter around AER. I don't want large reflection surface around driver, but I need to disconnect front wave from back wave to get lower range, so best idea I can see is using LeCleach profile.
Something like this:
aerle.png.88fc8951253d2825dfe0b10a3edb1fa0.png

“Every act of perception, is to some degree an act of creation, and every act of memory is to some degree an act of imagination.”

Oliver Wolf Sacks

Ok, let's consider the process in details :)
What is the difference between ribbon and voice coil wire ?
Why voice coil wire can't produce HF in magnetic field same as ribbon tweeter ?
Moreother...I did one experiment: I've changed AER magnet to Wolf Langa field coil and HF disappeared. Now I know that it is because AER magnet has proper back chamber for HF horn ribbon tweeter! This is really genius solution!