Good supply for preamp, Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Mad_K said:
You're not so confusing as millwood... First he says: put more caps after the reg, then the tnt designs are flawed because of this? and still millwood; which datasheet (ref. tnt-psu's)?

Sorry, Mad_K. I was joking about the comment analog_sa made with regards to that the datasheet does not endorse the recommendation I made to move more caps after the regulator.

I agree with the TNT design.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HE'S A JOKER...

Hi,

Sorry, Mad_K. I was joking about the comment analog_sa made with regards to that the datasheet does not endorse the recommendation I made to move more caps after the regulator.

Well, you shouldn't for Analog_sa is right and, no joking here, so is the datasheet.

If you exceed the maximum allowed capacitance after the regulator it won't regulate anymore...it just can't because the caps become the dominant source of energy, not the reg., see?

The danger zone lies somewhere inbetween, as I'm sure you realise.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
On "the datesheet doesn't even endorse it" thing, I just checked LM317 datasheet on national's site.

The cap (0.1u) before the regulator is needed if the regulator is more than 6-inch away from the filter cap.

the caps after the regulator are optional - they "improves transient response. Output capacitors in the range of 1uf to 1000uf of aluminum or tantalum electrolytic are commonly used to provide improved output impedance and rejection of transients."

FYI.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

the caps after the regulator are optional - they "improves transient response. Output capacitors in the range of 1uf to 1000uf of aluminum or tantalum electrolytic are commonly used to provide improved output impedance and rejection of transients."

And which one would have the faster transient response?
The 1µF cap or the 1000µF one in this situation?

All else being kept equal of course.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
fdegrove said:
Hi,

And which one would have the faster transient response?
The 1µF cap or the 1000µF one in this situation?

All else being kept equal of course.

Cheers,;)

wouldn't they have the same transient response (if all else is truly kept equal) for small current drains and the larger one will have better transient response for heavier current drains.

That is my final answer, :)

What it is ain't exactly clear

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.....

I haven't seen this much nonsense, bluffing, and utter confusion since Grey R. was posting.... I was going to make some comments but I wouldn't dream of breaking up the shear entertainment! I may have to dig out my Three Stooges DVD just to get back to something slightly coherent. I can hardly wait for AWL to see this thread.

"There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind*

I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down"

*and capacitance from in front and behind...

Attachments

• bs.gif
    bs.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 535
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I should I asked a technical question and I got a non-answer.

A non-answer?

Don't think so.

How hard can it be to read a few datasheets on regs. and imagine real life situations as you read?

Milwood, if you stopped digging yourself into opposition, people might be more inclined to 'splain a little more.

So far you've been nothing more than a nasty wirewound corkscrew, how do you expect that is going to help you?

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
fdegrove said:
Hi,

A non-answer?

Don't think so.

How hard can it be to read a few datasheets on regs. and imagine real life situations as you read?

Milwood, if you stopped digging yourself into opposition, people might be more inclined to 'splain a little more.

So far you've been nothing more than a nasty wirewound corkscrew, how do you expect that is going to help you?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove , I will not lower myself to your level.

I am fine with your inability to explain. and I don't expect you to be able to do that anyway. Good night.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.