Good supply for preamp, Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I do the wire arrangement in this way.
Is this made by Jaws?

:yinyang:

Attachments

• starground.jpg
    starground.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 439
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
grataku said:

So UNTRUE. I don't know how old are you but I remember sneaking in hi end shops in the late 70s when I was a teen while other people where listening I remember some pretty crappy sound by today's high end standards.

the oldest amp I have (that's still working) is an OTL amp I built from the early 1980s. I also have a 1970s Pioneer (just acquired BTW), a 1980s Marantz, an early 1990s Kenwood, a late 1990s Sony (there is a mid 1990s Sony but it is collecting dust) and a new Parasound. The Pioneer is hands down the best, and the Sony the worst.

Devices are clearly getting better, and amps are getting cheaper and deliver better performance (just check out those latest HIB packages), no doubt about that. But we are still where we were 20/30 years ago in terms of our understanding of human hearing, topology (digital amps aside), construction technologies, packaging, etc.

technologies have come a long way: computers, cellp hones, airplanes, electronics in general, automotives, etc. But today's amps aren't that different from those from the 1970s/1980s.

I agree with the rest of your points.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
grataku said:
So UNTRUE. I don't know how old are you but I remember sneaking in hi end shops in the late 70s when I was a teen while other people where listening I remember some pretty crappy sound by today's high end standards.

I worked in hifi in those days and we were exploring the bleeding edge... stuff has come a long way since then -- both in terms of new technology & in terms of rediscoverey of threads that were almost abandoned when almost the entire industry took a 90 degree turn to explore solid state devices. New component technology has allowed performance undreamed of with old topologies.

There is a lot of stuff that is pure marketing BS -- but much of that can be placed directly on many males penchant to have one bigger than the next guy.

dave

millwood said:

I also have a 1970s Pioneer (just acquired BTW), a 1980s Marantz, an early 1990s Kenwood, a late 1990s Sony (there is a mid 1990s Sony but it is collecting dust) and a new Parasound. The Pioneer is hands down the best, and the Sony the worst.

That's what 70's Pioneer is good for, nice faceplate. Soundwise, it's nothing special and is not a match for any better amp, that can be built today. I cut the top part off and will use it for APOX preamp (display window comes handy too). I like that big volume knob and Pioneer had one of the better looks in 70's hands down indeed.;)

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 522
Here's a supply used in ML23.5 amp (input stage). With adjusted voltages, it could be used in a preamp too. However, my limited knowledge on the subject, prevents me from further comments. I was using that supply in both my preamp and for the front end of A75 amp, but back then I was not into listening to the circuits, so I can't comment on sonics either, sorry.

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 532
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.