Goldmund Mimesis 3 Clone, World's Best Amplifier!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My individual thinks the power designing to only satisfy to mark to call for the most basal design GOLDMUND enlarger.

Only this and no more just, is physically contrasting of listen to a sound result in, its voice can not make me feeling outstanding, like its electric circuit.

No one tried to "derail" anything. :confused: All the comments tried to bring sanity to the process. I built the kit(s) from japan with the original hitachi lateral's when they first came out in the early 80's , they sounded absolutely stunning. There is nothing special about this circuit , physically (layout) electrical (the basic design) , It is even "short" on capacitance and power , considering the exorbitant pricing. :eek:

We already have the "jim's audio goldmund clone", why do we need another one (with no source resistors)?? All the "sym" variants are basically the same as well.
:confused: :confused:

You should of just built a single sided toner transfer prototype first , listened .. tested , tried different sourcings (no hard to find/afford parts) to make it as do-able and economical by as many DIY'ers as possible , that would of been better for business... and relationships !

Just stating absolute facts.

OS

Last edited:
The other thread was NOT derailed by anyone's overt negativity of the main thrust of the project, but by the in vain attempts to steer the project on to a path of simple facts learned from the school of hard knocks, in other words, PRACTICAL implementations of sane engineering practices.

But, just wait to hear the rave reviews from the un-biased builders of what has been wrought. :rolleyes:

The most benefit I have seen from this scenario has been the detail refuting and rebuttals of certain inaccurate (from a Electrical Engineering points of fact) statements of some. The explanations where wonderful and educational, I hoped many would learn from them.:)

But alas the all-knowing wizard has adorned himself in thin sheepskins in hopes of covering his youthful frame and credentials in turning copper, lead, tin and silicon into Gold. Scrumptious Mink would have been a better choice.:trapper:

The alchemist should have Caveat Emptor emblazoned on his forehead for all to see and praise.

In my opinion, there are many humble learning souls lurking in the shadows who knows little and want to absorb knowledge in order to eventually be in a position to help themselves. .

I am disgusted at some of the trash that is uttered here and this is definitely not to the benefit of anyone. For instance no source resistors, don't ignore the question but tell the folk why it is not necessary and maybe everyone learns from what you say.

If you produce an everyday equation and you insist on your methodology, then inform those learned and novice members how it was derived for everyone's the benefit. Everyone learns something every day.

AndrewT, your comment is very valid, in my country and some others that I know offers an engineering degree in no less than four years, two of our best engineering universities it is five years.

I guess in the land of milk and honey and unlimited opportunity you can achieve three degrees in one year without breaking a sweat in between partying and gaining another ten years experience in RF, Audio Design Speaker design, cable design and don't forget soldering, but I would like another countryman to confirm this for our benefit as well then we can react appropriately and call it lack of experience rather than lack of education.

Anyone can clone a circuit, but would it not be nice if you understood exactly what is going on in the circuit and then come to some open conclusive ideas as to which direction to follow to produce the best results.

Making a statement Goldmund is the best amplifier in the world is pretty wild from the outset, one can draw two conclusions, the fists is that it is the only amplifier you have heard, or that you have some hearing impediment and cannot tell amplifiers apart.

Are you actually qualified to make such a statement regardless of your education, how many amplifiers did you actually analyse in-depth to draw this conclusion. What comparative parameters where considered and why.

Anyway boys, have fun it does not get better.

Goldmund Mimesis 3 is the very best sounding amplifier in my opinion. I own two original Goldmunds, but could use a few more amps. I love audio and this is just simply a fun project for me.

In addition, I'll make this available to others who appreciate high quality audio.

Since I have nothing to lose and this is my project. It'll be faithful to the original and done how I want it to be done.

I'm only interested in working with those who are fans of original vintage Goldmund equipment and sound from that analog era. I'm a huge fan myself.

be nice!

Its kind of embarrassing to me that someone who is obviously very entheaustic and excited to build his favorite amplifier gets attacked like this here. We should encourage him to make it just like he wants (with helpful saftey advice if necessary). If an exact clone will sound crappy then lets give him something that sounds crappy. If the original design sucks and is retro, lets give him a lousy retro design. Who cares?

We should not drive him away with overbearing criticisms. So he says its the best in the world, so what? Let it go. Saying it is the best in the world leads me to only one conclusion- he loves this amp so much he is going to put in a year to make his best effort at an exact copy (and he is one of those "audiophiles" who knows little about circuits). So he is not an expert, no degree, no work experience, so what? If anything this indicates he needs your help. Just putting this thing together in a case is going to teach him a lot.

Its a long shot that this thing gets built anyway. But it would be nice to see the attempt be supported by the community rather than being shouted down.

Last edited:
If you don't want input from the DIYaudio group, you should simply post a blog on your webpage.

The purpose of the forum is interaction, not one way dictation.

Gentlemen... Can you please stop for one second and ask yourselves this... Does Nagys Audio care what you think? The answer is an overwhelming "NO!"

The other thread was not under my 100% control and many of you tried to derail it. And succeeded I might add! So go do with it as you wish. But complaining now makes you sound like a bunch of cry babies.

This here, in this thread, is my project and I will follow through with it as promised. I have 100% control now. If you don't like it, don't build it.

This will be a faithful clone of the Goldmund Mimesis 3 amplifier. The very best amp that I've ever heard.

Those who take this project on, will be rewarded by a fantastic sounding amplifier. But please don't bother me with any other Goldmund clones, threads, projects, group buys, schematics, alternate versions, etc.

Goldmund Mimesis 3 is the very best sounding amplifier in my opinion. I own two original Goldmunds, but could use a few more amps. I love audio and this is just simply a fun project for me.

In addition, I'll make this available to others who appreciate high quality audio.

Since I have nothing to lose and this is my project. It'll be faithful to the original and done how I want it to be done.

I'm only interested in working with those who are fans of original vintage Goldmund equipment and sound from that analog era. I'm a huge fan myself.

Sounds to me like you've got some very good reasons to clone it.
Can't say i'm a huge fan of Goldmund, in fact i've never heard any of their amps.I hope you'll get it working.
Regarding staying faithful to the original design: Goldmund , at least as far as i can see it (not too many internal pics of them around) , uses a toplayer on the pcb that is divided into separate tracks and sections. What made you decide to use a single groundplane ?

"Does Nagys Audio care what you think? The answer is an overwhelming "NO!"

But complaining now makes you sound like a bunch of cry babies.

This here, in this thread, is my project and I will follow through with it as promised. I have 100% control now. If you don't like it, don't build it.

Since I have nothing to lose and this is my project. It'll be faithful to the original and done how I want it to be done."

Nagys are you aware this is a global DIY audio community of people eager/willing to share knowledge, help others, and to further the state of the art in High Fidelity? From your quotes above it is 'your way or the highway'. As someone else has stated if you shoot down everyone's ideas - people trying to help - then you'd be far better off putting this project on your own webage. I'm afraid many of your posts here have you coming off as some sort of control freak...

You also seem to enjoy making grand sweeping statements of fact, when in fact they are statements of your opinion only. If the Goldmund WAS the best sounding amplifier ever we could all just call it a day building/designing amps after cloning this one. Personally I don't happen to think their visual design is much to write home about either...

- John

I've seen the picture the pic in post#6.
Don't those circuit tracks effectively divide the gndplane into sections ?
Unlike the original, you have the main powersupply-caps on the pcb ( i'm referring to the pcb-layout you posted in post#61), similar to the previous Goldmund you were trying to clone.
On that pcb, Goldmund apparently made it a point to separate the gnd-connection between those ps-caps & spkr-gnd from the gndplane:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Resistances in series with the signal uses to result worse

When you remove them you perceive the difference...of course you cannot avoid when they are there for power equalization purposes (more than one pair in the output).

Some Field effect transistors have a very low internal resistance when conducting.... a nice thing, a you will reduce resistances in series.

I do not know exactly what is going on here...i have readed fast...just some posts....not very interested..i already found my best wide world amplifier.

Also i have perceived the output coil sounds too.... John Curl told us something about that too.

Well...i am using both.... resistances in series and output coils...and do you know why?...because friends react with distrust when we change these things.... and because i want people building, i use to do whatever they want...whatever they believe as good.... not disturbing too much sonics, i do accept to introduce things i perceive as not needed....maybe Naggys are not interested to make these things i use to do.... well.... his point of view, his way to do things..we are all different...let it be.

regards,

Carlos

I've received a handful of PCBs today. In one word, "Perfection!" Quality American company and the boards were made in the U.S.A.

Next step is to order the Plitron toroidal transformers, Conrad heatsinks, and build the aluminum T6061 bar stock box. Do any of you know of a good contact person (account manager) at Plitron? They have a minimum order of $250, but I would only need to order one, or at most two toroidals. If I can get around that, it would help.

Here are a couple of pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.