• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Going away sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
[sigh]

OK I've got a big change in personal circumstances comming up which calls for me to lose all the superfluous(yeah right) baggage. So its with massive regret that I'm clearing out everything audio related I have :(

Everything is priced at around 1/2 I paid and in most circumstance much less, so please bear that in mind if making an offer.

Breaks my heart to do this but here's the stuff:

-----------------------------------------------

The Perceives

What can I say about these that I haven't already said 10 times already ;)

I'd normally take a more modest approach but what the hell I'm trying to sell you something here :D

First thing worth mentioning is the rather exhuastive process I went through in researching, designing, constructing, finishing and crossover work. Nearly 2 years in the making with literally 1000's of hours spent in the service of the best sound possible. There were several cabinet iterations, driver tryouts and a stupid amount of time measuring and tweaking. These are not speakers that were just knocked up with the goal of having something 'nice' to listen to, no, every step had me pour my entire self into and it shows in the construction, finish and most of all the sound.

No expense spared on construction with matrix bracing, 4" thick baffles(yes 4"!). Laminated 18mm+9mm MDF wall construction, 8mm thick bitumen pads in the bass cabinet, silver plated neurtik speakon connectors, solid polished aluminium satallite feet with damping material applied, high gloss finish that was pain stakingly applied/finished and the list goes on.

If you like a detail, wonderfully realistic tonality and an upfront but not harsh treble then you'll fall in love with these. The sound is best described as accurate which suits all types of music well but certainly doesn't flatter poor electronics or recordings.

Scroll down and look at the cabinets, complete and utter work of art, no speaker on earth looks like these do, they're unique, a one off and completely individual. They're a statement in both sound and looks.

IMPORTANT NOTES: One of the Scanspeak R2904 tweeters was inadvertantly destroyed by myself a few days ago. Sadly the tweeter is toasted after unintentionally sending a 20-1000hz long duration swept sine signal that was meant for the bass driver during a measurement session - that's the only problem with the PCXO, its so easy to get the routings wrong. After enquiries with Tymphany it appears to be uneconomical to have the diaphragm/VC assembly replaced. So you will have to source at replacement. A single new R2904 tweeter costs around £235 from Wilmslow Audio UK.

No amplification supplied and they require 6 channels for triamping.

No crossover as I used digital implementations including a DEQX and PCXO. A good but cheap starting point would be the Behringer DCX2496 at around £170. Don't bother with a passive crossover on these speaker, despite my best efforts they just plain sound better with active.

To recap: You will need a replacement R2904 tweeter and your own crossover. If you go with a Behringer DCX2496 then your looking at an additional £400 ontop of the £1000 asking price to get the speakers fully functional. You'll also need 6 channels of amplification but anything goes here, use what you have and upgrade later.

Alternatively, if you have a PC I can hand over all my crossover presets and software to enable you to carry on where I left off. I'd highly recommend an EMU 1820m sound interface to go with your PC and the software for a stunning quality setup.

Now to price. These were never going to be dirt cheap, the driver compliment alone totals £1900 and the cabinets even in raw material considerations alone are over £600 worth let alone the love, care and dedication that went into crafting them.

So I'm wanting £1000 which is still an absolute bargain in my eyes. Consider that the ATC SCM50ASL loudspeakers cost £7000 and use the same driver compliment as these with the exception of the tweeter which is a magnitude of lesser quality than the Scanspeak R2904 these use. Then also take a look at the plain ugly rectangular cabinet of the SCM50. Its no contest really.

As for comparison to how ATC have implemented the sound in their loudspeaker - I've heard the SCM50 30th Anniversary(a £12,000 pair of speakers) and what I have is not only better looking but sounds better to my ears.

Here's the photo's, can supply more to interested parties, just let me know.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They're also wired throughout with over 4 meters worth of QED Genesis cable which has an RRP of £35 per meter:

One more thing:

I can post within the UK only but this will be *very* expensive. The reason for this is that the only way to guarantee safe delivery is I'd have to send the bass cabinets secured to a pallet and then the satalite enclosures firmly attached to a 1/2 size pallet. Initial inquiries look to be in the region of £100-150 to mainland UK.

Of course collection is most welcome but a reminder that a large Vehicle will be needed, ideally transit van sort of size. Unfortunately shipping these oversea's is massively uneconomical - I know because I've looked into it.

I will, as a last resort, consider splitting the drivers and selling them as individual units. But I would be unhappy to make such a move as the cabinets would almost certainly end up in the bin and the Perceive project would have died. Ideally I'd like someone else to enjoy and care for these speakers as much as I have.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004

B&C 12TBX100 12" Sub Driver

Excellent condition, hardly used and awesome build quality makes for a very impressive bass driver indeed. For music its pretty much perfect. Cost me around £190 two months ago.

£100

For photo's of the driver see below

I also have a very well built and nice looking cabinet for this sub:

This is available free of charge should the buyer wish to collect it.

The following photo's are of the above drivers

From left to right: 12" B&C 12TBX100, 9" ATC SB75-234SC, 3" dome mid ATC SM75-150S

4 x Peerless XLS10

Well known driver so not much to say other than the drivers are all absolutely mint, a few weeks old and only a few hours use. Come in original shipping boxes.

I had all 4 of these briefly running in a ported sub tuned to 14hz, I literally feared for my life when you let the thing really go.

£60 each

There's also the (unfinished)cabinet which housed all four drivers and creates the huge amount of quality bass I was talking about above. This is grattis for anyone who wants to collect.

6 x ATI Research Amp Cases

Great looking amp cases utilising all alu construction, with anodising applied to all panels. All cases are untouched with no cuts, drill marks or otherwise. However, two do have one of those rather natty illuminated push buttom switches, these switches alone cost £13 each but I'll throw them in for nowt for whoever get first dibs on them, the other four are untouched.

I had to import these from Thailand at large expense to myself. So the price is very cheap considering Maplin are selling nasty as hell 4U rackmount cases for ~£40.

More details and dimensions are here: http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-737U.html

Just in case here they are again:

Front plate: 258 w (10.15") X 97 h (3.8") ( 6mm thickness )
Body size : 253 w (9.9") X 94 h (3.7") X 300. d (11.81") ( 1.2 mm thickness )

£30 each

Audiosector LM3875 Gainclones

This is the Patek SE implementation which can be read about in the 6moons review here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiosector/patek.html

Gold plated PCB's with premium components(riken and caddock) including Blackgate N types. Fully constructed, just require traffo and heatsink.

Includes PSU featuring 2 x 1000uf Blackgate STD types. Also comes with spare PSU PCB and 8x MUR860 diiodes to enable dual mono configuration.

(The 4x 100uf 50v Blackgate N types and 2x 1000uf STD types alone cost £60. And the GC kit from Peter was £50)

£50 inc postage for the pair.

NOTE: I also have another exact pair of these for sale.

Audiosector LM4780 Gainclones

Gold plated PCB's with standard components. Fully constructed, just require traffo, wiring and heatsink.

NOTE: These are configured for parallel bridged operation so power output is approx 100w into 8ohm.

£25 inc postage for the pair

4x SMPS PSU's.

Same as the ones detailed here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclonesmps.html

Perfect for powering gainclones, T-amps etc.

£30 for [/b]all four[/b]

NOTE: Two of the SMPS are wired up and ready to go, including 50w resistors to load the 5v rail as per recommended by the folks in the know about SMPS's.

Hi Shin,
If Vikash passes on the Perceives, I'm interested, although I'd need a day or two to check over exact bank balance, my wife's take on the aesthetics and transport issues. Failing that I'll certainly take the four XLS 10s and start stockpiling for a pair of Orions!

Business aside, I'm really sorry to see circumstances forcing you to sell speakers that you've put so much into. Your journey with the Perceives has made for a fascinating read and stimulated an enormous amount of comment and discussion, not only in state-of-the-art dynamic speaker design but also in terms of state-of-the-art aesthetics and finish. Best of luck with wherever life's taking you.

Toaster.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi Stee,

I've had a PM offering asking price on the XLS's. If the deal falls through I'll post back here and also PM you.

Hi Toaster,

I think I've dealt with you before haven't I? Very sorry but I can't remember your name.

If Vik decides not to go for them then they're yours should it be feasible.

Email me at this address to sort out the particulars should things go OK: zeroex_15 /at/ hotmail.com

And thanks for the wellwishes and kind words.

Ant

YGM Shin,

Having just built my Orions and the fact that I'm supposed to be house hunting not buying yet more speakers I'm going to have to let the Percieves slip through my hands. I'll tell you what though, you're insane selling them for that price considering the cabinet finish and build quality, driver quality and the blood and sweat you put into designing and building them.

I've confirmed that I'll take three of the ATI cases with the nice buttons ;)

Vik

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
OK just to confirm:

Vik has taken 3 of ATI cases, two of which have the LED push buttons.

For anyone interested, there's 3 ATI cases and all are as I received them ie. no switch.

I've sent emails out to those who've PM'd me, please be patient as getting shipping will take a little time.

I also respectfully ask that all deals be kept on thread as its very confusing. I've had four emails about the ATI cases and whilst I can get shipping quotes I think its unfair to say "yes you can have them" to everyone.

With that in mind I'll say that the three remaining ATI cases have interested buyers. Should that change I'll update and move onto the next person inline who posted in this thread.

And that would be:
dariusku
Andypairo

Sorry about that but I remember getting myself into trouble when I sold some stuff on here before and the reason was I'd let someone down and sold what they wanted to someone else.

Thanks all
Ant

stee-b said:
Hello Ant, I'll offer the asking for the 4 x Peerless XLS10 at £240. Any chance of the box too?
LMK
Steve

Ant, deeply sorry but I'm going to have to pull out of the chase for these, irrespective of outcome. The GF's just come home and is having a right bottom lip moment!

Really sorry again & good luck for the future!

Steve

Hi Ant,
Yes that's right, I'm the geezer who bought the ESP101s and a bunch of other bits a while back. I'll mail you later this evening about the Perceives. I've had a look at the Perceive thread now and can see that congratulations as well as commiserations are in order!
All the best,
Toaster (aka John!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.