Glue or Screw?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a couple of quick things here: First, while biscuits help with alignment, they don't actually add much in the way of strength

That's strange... I thought the extra gluing area would help with strength too... Not a big deal really. I was going more for the help with alignment (and I need all the help I can get!).
Cuyahoga Falls... I just moved from there about 2 years ago. I'm from Stow originally. Small world- big internet.
Steve

On biscotti

Schaef said:

Just a couple of quick things here: First, while biscuits help with alignment, they don't actually add much in the way of strength. Also, I've heard of people having problems with the MDF swelling where the biscuit is, from moisture in the glue. (I don't have first hand experience of this, but it comes from a woodworking bulletin board)
I think it must have been 3 or 4 years ago where Fine Woodworking did a piece on biscuits indicating that they added little if anything to strength. They sure do make a job go faster, however -- I built walk-in bedroom cabinets with biscuits and it cut hours off the assembly time.

Was just in "the mistake on the Lake" for my high school reunion. Is Dorothy Fuldheim dead yet?

Re: On biscotti

nobody special said:

That's strange... I thought the extra gluing area would help with strength too... Not a big deal really. I was going more for the help with alignment (and I need all the help I can get!).
Cuyahoga Falls... I just moved from there about 2 years ago. I'm from Stow originally. Small world- big internet.
Steve

Its a common misconception. There was a big argument on the woodworking site I read a while a go about just this thing. It was finally settled when one of the members posted a picture of himself suspended from the ceiling by to pieces of wood butt-jointed together without biscuits. (Showing just how strong the glues today really are)

jackinnj said:

I think it must have been 3 or 4 years ago where Fine Woodworking did a piece on biscuits indicating that they added little if anything to strength. They sure do make a job go faster, however -- I built walk-in bedroom cabinets with biscuits and it cut hours off the assembly time.

Won't argue with the time-saving alignment thing at all. As a matter of fact, I believe that's what they are more meant for. I use them on panel glue ups to help keep the boards together. (Still have some issues with alignment, but hey, its easier, I think)

Was just in "the mistake on the Lake" for my high school reunion. Is Dorothy Fuldheim dead yet?

Don't know who Dorothy is, so I can't answer. as to living in the area, I rather enjoy it, have most everything I want close at hand without the masses of people that bigger cities offer.

I sometimes use a 12 ton bottle jack with 2x4's as spreaders to apply pressure when laminating 2 3/4" boards. Add 1 or 2 small nails with the head clipped off almost flush to keep the boards from slipping under the presure. This litle trick lets you put too much glue and squeeze out extra so there are no voids between.

The red jack is bearing on the ceiling joist (lifting the ceiling about 1")

Attachments

• glue and clamp.jpg
    glue and clamp.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 473
leadbelly said:

No no no! I bought one of those...it's terrible for biscuits! Just does a horrible job, I would never recommend it. Wait for a sale on a biscuit joiner.

But, :) , I do still use the bit that came with it to route out long slots and use strips to join 1x's into wider planks...

I'm using biscuit joints for my next (second box, first REAL speakers) speaker boxes... making them at school.. :) they have a $400 biscuit cutter... lol just mark the holes and away you go.. :D

glue and screw never fails

IMHO glue and screws is the way to go...

MDF tends to slip when a thin film of glue exists between pieces. The screws also act as clamps to apply pressure to the glue.
In addition to this the speakers come together much faster since there is no waiting time for glue to dry.

Just countersink and fill when you're done.

As for removing the screws... that doesn't make a lot of sense - you still need to fill the holes and weaken the cabinet.

Cheers

Pulse

Hello,

If I am correct the biscuits are small wooden discs between the two pieces of MDF? If so, it's not my favourite. My dad had a panel made out of teak for his boat, and it leaks at the joints. Maybe it was done by somebody who wasn't skilled enough..

But anyhow, on my speakers I used my router to cut out a piece of MDF where the other panels would fit in. This works very well, glueing is made easier, you don't have to worry about the dimensions when glueing. I also hope it's stronger.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The smaller pieces of mdf fit into the slots in the bigger pieces in the foreground.

And also, today's glues are very strong. I use the polyurethane glue for joints (it fills any gaps) and normal PVAC (wood glue) for any large surfaces.

In the past you used to make dovetails for increased strenght, but nowadays the glue becomes stronger than the wood..
And all those screws too close to the crossover might cause some changes in induction of the coils.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.