Glue ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on an August 1999 _Consumer Report_ article I've kept, Krazy Glue: Instant Wood Formula, Super Glue: Future Glue High Performance, and Loctite: Brush-On Instant Wood Glue are supposed to be good with wood or plastic. I don't know what peoples experiences are with cyanoacrylates in your type of application, but you might do a test with one of the above.

*EDIT*
Also, note this article rates equally well (for wood or plastic), the two following polymerizing glues:

Gorilla Glue (polyurethane)
Elmer's Probond Polyurethane Glue

(The first group dries clear, the second group tan.)

JF

C.A. - Cyanoacrylate - (A.k.a.- "Superglue", "Krazy Glue")
But get one that has a thicker, syrup consistancy.
Thinner CA tends to crust up a bit.
To cure it faster - spray water on it soon after applying, maybe with an old windex bottle etc. this will turn it over (activator).
The wood will already have a bit of water in it, but the PVC won't.
Don't touch with fingers, it will bond them insantly - since it cures with water, and the sweat will kick it over.

Hot melt also works well, just etch (or crosshatch) the PVC a bit with a utilty knife first.

Household Goop works well too, and will survive lower temperatures...

-Jayson-

Water-based CP-Moyen 1032 Black (rubber).

No smell, cures with air in about 1/2 hour for moving, 24hours full cure.

Home Depot sells "Spray 90", 3M contact type.

Spray on mat'l, spray on cabinet, good coat on both, wait 5-min.

Set.

Pretty smell though (solvent based)

-Jayson-

masterp2 said:
Awesome, but any thoughts on what that will do to my driver surrounds?

CP Moyen is based out of Chicago (I am 87% sure).

Yes. Nothing. Since it is water based, there is no harmful outgassing during or post cure.

Best to allow the Spray 90 (solvent based) to cure for a couple of days though because it does outgas during and prior to cure for a while, (heavier than air). If you can put a fan nearby...it won't bother people as much.

I hope I am following along correctly, it takes me a while to type stuff in...

-Jayson-

masterp2 said:
I want to bond 30# roofing felt to MDF (resonance damping). But the felt is a challenge as it seems a little oily or tarry. Suggestions????

Since "oily or tarry", you might have to use a mechanical mount instead of adhesive. I know you probably don't want extra "things" like this in the cabinet...but if secure might be better in short (less frustrating) and long (solid, not affected by air flow) runs.

-J-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.