getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Houston,
we have a problem.
when I installed driver and let it choose search location, it came back and said "cannot continue the hardware update wizard & said could notfind better match than the software already installed".

When I browse the Ddrive it can find the main directory and the two sub-directories but in each the "OK" goes grey effectively saying there are no driver files.

I tried repair with the laptop connected to the desktop via the RJ45 but it could not find the IP address.

Should I try repair with laptop RJ45/USB to Modem?

OK, Uninstall the driver again but don't reboot!

Then go to update driver and try reloading again from the CD. For some reason, it didn't erase the old one, otherwise it wouldn't say "it can't find a better match....." it shouldn't be there period, so for ssome reason it is still there. It has to go for any miracle to happen like reloading a good copy!

Hi,
add/remove programs still shows network drivers and offers to let me remove them. When I do it comes back with that Vlans warning.
There is no sign of new hardware or search for new hardware.

Where do I look?

Ah!
add new hardware has appeared this time.
Warning ! "if your new hardware came with an installation CD, it is recommended that you click Cancel to close thia wizard and use the manufacturer's CD to install this hardware."

I have gone to bed. Back tomorrow, oops today.

If you are in "Device Manager" and can see the Network Adapter listed with a Yellow Exclamation point, click on it and go to drivers and click on install update/install driver and with the CD in, procede! Actually on the General tab after you click on the Network adapter with the Exclamation point is a button that says "Reinstall Driver" go that route!

Hi,
same as yesterday.
the yellow exclamation shows in the bottom window in the 2PC screens.
but it does not show in device manager.
when the install wizard takes over, it offers to use the PC or the CDrom, I say next, but it seems to happen quite quickly. Almost as if it's reading the hard disc rather than the CDrom. I see no option to force it to the CDrom.
and comes back with "cannot continue" "could not find a better match".

Maybe it is not on that CD and goes back to the old one. Do you know anyone with a PC connected to the internet that has a CD burner so you can download the new driver to the cd and install it, instead of using the disk Toshiba supplied? This is what I did with that Dell that did this too.

We are so close that I can smell it!!!

Hi,
I already have the DVD burner ready for the install of XP on the desktop.
I'm fairly certain the school has CD burners on the desktops, but I doubt the filters will let me download the drivers.

I'm meeting my pool partner tomorrow night, I''ll tap him for some time at his laptop & cable broadband. That may be our solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.