getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently dealt with a desktop PC in which no lan adapter would work. Not the integrated port - nor the most generic 3com pci adapter. "limited connectivity' is what the message was. There were no firewalls and the drivers were correct.

I deemed that there was a problem deep in the XP kernel. The woman, (my neighbor) was unsure with my diagnosis so she had an IT guy that goes to her church look at it - he agreed with me.

I reloaded xp and all drivers - works mint.

Andrew, if that toshiba has an OS backup CD, it might be worth a try. It's likely that tosh will have you try that anyway.

-and remember, if it were a Mac it would have just worked - and you will have learned nothing:D

Yeah but the only thing I have learned so far is .... that Tylenol works better than Advil for my headache!

Andrew, if this is relatively new and doesn't have much on it and has never connected to the Internet (no spyware or viruses), you can install XP right over XP or do a XP repair without wiping (formatting) the HD. It's easy and we can get you through it! That will fix anything corrupted in the OS.

I think a "Repair" from XP would be fine. It is easy to do.

You have to go into the Bios and change boot settings to boot from CD first, save and exit

Put the CD in and reboot, upon rebooting it will say boot from CD hit any key for a few seconds. Hit any key before it goes to the HD.

It will ask if you want to Install a new copy or repair from Recovery Console.

Choose New copy. It will load for a few minutes and will ask you to accept the rules. When it gets to the next prompt it will ask you to hit Enter foor a new install. DON'T HIT ENTER. It will also have Hit "R" to Repair the installed Copy of XP Professional. Then hit R and go through the steps until completion. The drivers are on the same disk so it should be done and ready to go!
Reboot, go back into Bios and make the HD boot first then the CD Rom and then whatever else you have (Floppy, Memory Sticks, etc.) Save and exit and reboot with the LAN port connected to the LAN port of the Modem. If this doesn't work it is a Hardware problem and requires service.

It's likely that the 'recovery disk' has no os on it at all. Usually there is a compressed/hidden partition on the HD and the 'recovery disk' just wakes up the install files on said partition.

Waking the bio up could be anything: DEL , F10, F12 ???

is there a splash screen when the pc is first powered : " XX to enter setup"

You may want to deal with the manufacturer - you've done much more than you should have already.

To get into Bios upon bootup you press either "Delete" or F8 or F12 or sometimes F2. Usually when you first turn on the computer when the screen is still dark, in one of the corners, you may see Set up hit Del or F8 or F12, etc.

Once you get into Bios, you have to use the up and down arrows and Enter and Esc and + & - to navigate.

You don't want to change anything except Boot Sequence. It is usually behind the second choice Advanced CMOS Settings. After you make the CD Rom boot first hit esc and you will see a choice to "Save and Exit" that is what you want.

Andrew, I'm with mpmarino, put this onto the support people. No matter how much we do, they will make you repeat everything until they exaust all options and either fix it or replace it!

The Recovery disk usually helps after something messes with your computer (Bad sectors on the HD, Viruses, etc,) This may be different in Europe as is your model of Laptop (not available in the US) but the OS is usually on a seperate disk as is any other applications they may have provided!

Call them on the phone and they will walk you through the steps!

... that Tylenol works better than Advil for my headache!
it is the opposite for me;) Mac users need not apply!

The last box store pc I bought - maybe 6 years ago was a Compaq. I was having lots o trouble and reinstalling from the HD backup partition was no help. It was corrupt as well. I requested a complete copy of the OS from Compaq (after all, I paid for it!). They sent me a 3 disk set free of charge. Regardless of how you come to a solution - I suggest insuring you have a full CD copy of the OS that you paid for. If your backup is on a hidden partition, something could happen to it.

-all IMHO

I build them myself to, for some reason it is easier than the problems from the manufacturers. I did however order one for my mom from a place that builds custom gaming computers in CA (CyberpowerPC, I recommend them highly). No she is not a gamer, in fact she has never even turned it on. I set it up for her in April.

I build them myself to, for some reason it is easier than the problems from the manufacturers.

Ya,

Soon after buying the Compaq I tried an experiment. I built a PC from scratch -same HD, same video, same memory but in the scratch built one I used an Asus motherboard.

The difference was night and day! The scratch PC is smoother running, more reliable, and faster. I swear the mobo makes a big difference.

Too bad the laptop choices are so limited. My company gives me a Panasonic Toughbook, If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Good luck Andrew.

Hi,
the Laptop is going back.

Thanks to all who helped and sorry for wasting so much of your time.

Now, I want to know if I can use a Laptop to gather data, eg when testing a power amp for distortion, PC scope etc?

What port/s should I be looking for?

The Tosh A120 has:
RJ45
USB * 3
RJ11 modem jack
ext monitor port
DC input jack
mic jack
headphone jack
SD card slot
PC card slot

It has not got a serial port nor a 1394 port nor a mouse/keyboard port.

Andrew,

What happened? Did they determine something was bad?

PCs offer more options for using as test equipment. I don't know much about what Laptops have to offer so work with the guys that have them and use them for this purpose to find what will meet your needs. theAnonymous1 certainly can shed some light on the subject (even though we don't know who he really is).

PCs usually have all the usual interfaces and slots to add the ones you need for your additional testing interfaces like a good DAC sound card like "Emu" for instance. There are a few threads here about this. I suggest you make sure you understand it fully before deciding! Also get current info, I think SY had a bad experience with a manufacturer he used to like, which means things are always changing.

Hi,
the helpline asked a few questions and got me to swap some cables around and read off a few screens. Not at all thorough.
As best he could determine he thought it had a faulty port/s.
The helpline did not offer any support for the USB link that was available.

The crux seemed to be that when the RJ45 was connected to the win98 desktop the LED on the LAN port was on. When connected to the modem/router the LED was off.

Hi,
I have enough bits to "build up" a second PC to locate in the workshop.

Is anyone willing to dedicate sufficient time to talk me through that process?

I am certainly not transferring my main desktop to the workshop.

Once all the PCs are on XP, it might become feasible to activate my CAT5 wiring.
It's only used for telephone/broadband, burglar/fire alarm and door bell at the moment.

That will become a new thread, if there are volunteers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.