Geddes on Waveguides

Diffraction can be audible. No doubt about it. In most cases I'm sure what you hear is just the effect of diffraction on amplitude. In most practical cases the diffracted sound arrives at the ears so incredibly soon after the direct sound, that it just can't be perceived separately. I'm not saying that amplitude is all there is with respect to diffraction, but I just haven't yet seen any strong evidence that suggests otherwise.

As loudspeaker designers it is our task to ensure a smooth response that doesn't change considerably with changes in mic/listening position. Diffraction can mess that up.

What can you do?

- Waveguides can direct the soundwave away from sharp edges
- A large radius can smooth the diffraction
- A source almost the size of the baffle will smooth diffraction
- Sound radiated from a driver on a baffle that is much smaller than the wavelengths, will just wrap around the baffle and the loss is easily compensated for in the crossover (baffle-step compensation)

Below you see a photo from during the construction of my current speakers. It's a 3-way with a 10" woofer (not shown).

The second image shows the measurements at 0 to 90 degrees horizontal (gated, indoors).

2sbwc29.jpg

zum9zq.jpg

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Keyser, when you sweep the mic across the listening window, the distance from the source and baffle edge will change causing the reflected sound to arrive at different times. This means, on a listening window curve, you will likely not see the effect of diffraction. If you've read Toole, you know what constitutes a resonance. He also talks about adapting to this type of coloration.

Yes, I do disagree. Because your claim is based on purely anecdotal information. You have no data on whether your claim is universally true. We cannot draw any conclusion on diffraction, which is a small small feature of those speakers performance anyway, if we don't know for sure if B&Ws are the most popular studio speakers.

I'm an engineer - language is very important to me.
When I am working on a project, if I get the terminology wrong, or use words like "all" when I really mean "some", things break. Things literally stop working.

So when I say that ""I see a lot of Dunlavys and B&Ws in studios" I do not mean that "B&Ws are the most popular studio speakers."

I never said that "B&Ws are the most popular studio speakers" and I chose my words very carefully.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I hate multiquoting too. Sorry.

Let's do the thought experiment of taking the baffle (or other edge) between tiny and infinity. Tiny - no diffraction. Infinite - no diffraction.

In between, if diffraction is an issue, then it's likely to be more or less audible at some frequencies than at others, and would probably depend on frequency range of the source and the distance between the main wave and the diffracted signal.

Sheldon

Right. It is directly dependent on baffle size and the wavelength being emitted. When the baffle becomes too large for the wavelength, it will start diffracting. Whether it is audible or not is another issue.

1) ERB does not mean that we can't here comb filters. Maybe we can't but you can't use that argument because it does not apply. Consider a swept tone for example. You will hear the peak and dip as the tone seeps through the comb.
I highly doubt you will hear the combing, especially at high frequencies. The peaks and dips are so close together. Besides, it is a type of coloration that once you get used to, you learn to ignore. Lastly, the power response will not show it as a resonance. Another reason the ear may not perceive it.
2) Toole never really looks at diffraction, reflections yes, but not diffraction and they are different things. But it is precisely the audibility of reflections in Toole that I (and David Greisinger) object to. I don't think that his tests completely nail down the audibility of reflections or more importantly diffraction.
That's fine. You can choose to disagree with it. You can put together your hypothesis, like PB has done. But you cannot conclude that this must be it. There are several other factors that are known to be much more audible that should be investigated first.

3) The radius on a Summa is 2 inches, which is not "puny". The radius at the waveguides mouth is 4 inches. These are large radi when compared to the wavelengths involved and will substantially reduce diffraction from these edges.

2 inches corresponds to 6810 Hz. Quite high.

Agreed that mouth radius on a horn is useful. There it really does create a reflection that's audible, especially on round horns.

4) most diffraction from a loudspeaker occurs at less than 1 ms. where the ear is in the region known as "summing localization" and results above a few ms. do not apply to these very short time delays.
Again, the audibility is determined by the listening window response. If that is smooth, and the combs are narrow, just don't see how we could hear it.

5) Diffraction effects will be more audible at higher SPLs. Toole never did tests as a function of SPL to determine if the audibility changes with level or not. It may well be that all his tests were at very low SPLs where the audibility is at its minimum.
Could be. Should be investigated further.

6) Your claims are anecdotal as well. The only scientific study is the one that I quoted and it does not conclude that diffraction is not audible - quite the opposite. Either exclude anecdotal data or include it, but don't mix your rejection or acceptance to suite your argument. Just remember that when you accept anecdotal data that the discussion can never conclude anything because all anyone has to say is: "Well it sounds that way to me."

I'm not providing anecdotal data. All this is well established science. We continue to ignore the factors that do make a difference and latch on to something that may or may not have an influence just so that we can explain something that we may or may not have heard. All this started with PB claiming that the reason he feels more relaxed with the Summas compared to the Vandersteens is because Summas tackle diffraction. All I'm saying is that there are countless other differences in the two speakers that can contribute to his perception. Not to mention how these two very different speakers interact with this room. How can you ever claim you know this is due to diffraction?

I have a new car now - a Honda Civic SI coupe - best low priced sports car on the market - no contest. Incredible performance, 30+ MPG. What's not to like!?

Ugh I wish I'd known the gas mileage was that good.

I had two Accords in a row, and then I felt that the V6 Accord was a bit sluggish. Not slow by any means, but just felt *heavy.*
So I considered the Civic SI, but passed on it because the reported MPG was mediocre. (25/31 mpg) Also looked at the BR-Z, Elantra, BMW 3 series, Mazda3, and VW Golf.

Ended up getting a Mazda6 and it's kinda a dud. It's got a great transmission and the mileage is amazing (35-40 on the highway) but the interior is kinda cheap and it just feels kinda low budget compared to the Accord.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here's your post in full but without the pictures. You also quoted Earl's post that talked about his study being the only real data point on diffraction audibility (reproduced below). Can you see why it may have made me think you are claiming B&Ws are popular in studios because of their diffraction reduction strategies?

Anyway, let's not get caught up in semantics. Do you agree that there may be reasons other than diffraction for the popularity (real or not) of a speaker?

Another 'data point' might be studio monitors.
It seems logical that people in studios spend a lot of time listening to loudspeakers.

And I see a lot of B&Ws and Dunlavys in studios. With diffraction reducing enclosures. This pic is from Abbey Road.

Here's a set of Dunlavys for sale on CL in LA right now

If the 'audiophile' speakers were ideal, I'd think you'd see more Wilson and JMLab in studios, but they don't seem to be as prevalent as B&W.

The only controlled subjective study on diffraction that I know of is the one that Lidia and I did about ten years ago. In that study I simulated a "diffraction like" signal and the listeners (dozens, blind) compared the diffraction contaminated signal to the uncontaminated one. By far the most interesting result was that the diffraction was more audible at higher SPL levels than lower ones. This means that the effect should be more audible at higher SPLs than lower SPLs. This was completely consistent with Brian Moore's result on the audibility of non-minimum phase where it becomes more audible at higher SPLs. This is in stark contrast to frequency masking which increases with level - non-minimum phase errors become unmasked at higher SPLs. How odd!

2" roundover radius is ¼ of an 8" wavelength =~1700hz

The concept of using the 1/4 wl vs. radius on a non-circular baffle is badly flawed. Consider the pathlength when the wavefront from the waveguide hits the baffle on a speaker like the summa 10" below the forward axis (Z axis) of the waveguide- the pathlength of transition across the roundover is much increased, and is additionally a longer pathlength across the flat baffle, lowering both SPL and applying 2pi directivity across a larger bandwidth. Exactly how much depends upon the particulars, but it's not as simple as "what's the radius".

Keyser, when you sweep the mic across the listening window, the distance from the source and baffle edge will change causing the reflected sound to arrive at different times. This means, on a listening window curve, you will likely not see the effect of diffraction. If you've read Toole, you know what constitutes a resonance. He also talks about adapting to this type of coloration.

See the driver as an infinite number of point sources. Each of them has a different distance to the edge, and a different distance to the edge in each direction (except for the one single point in the center). The result is that the effect of diffraction on the amplitude response is smoothened.

EDIT: Good example of a commercial offering that makes use of this principle:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
..All I'm saying is that there are countless other differences in the two speakers that can contribute to his perception..

..How can you ever claim you know this is due to diffraction?

:yes:

..he can't with any real degree of confidence, it's why I mentioned the minor/easy test of simply putting a small amount of absorption/material in varying diffractive positions to test the assertion.

It doesn't even have to be a "blind" condition for a forum response.

IF done (with a lossy enough material that doesn't limit the dispersion pattern to any significant extent), and the result is a confirmation then I'll accept that. :)

:yes:

..he can't with any real degree of confidence, it's why I mentioned the minor/easy test of simply putting a small amount of absorption/material in varying diffractive positions to test the assertion.

It doesn't even have to be a "blind" condition for a forum response.

IF done (with a lossy enough material that doesn't limit the dispersion pattern to any significant extent), and the result is a confirmation then I'll accept that. :)

Here is one way to determine if diffraction treatment is effective:

1) take an existing speaker
2) and add a roundover

Then observe the difference.

Would it be better if we had measurements in both the frequency and time domain? Of course it would.

But if you believe that diffraction treatment doesn't work, read the Diyma thread. There are literally dozens of people all over the world trying this, and reporting back their findings. It's been universally positive.

Now I concede that we could apply the same yardstick to silliness like Enabl treatment, and come up with the same positive results.

My argument against that is that there *has* been a few people on the Diyma thread who have demonstrated that the diffraction treatment improved the performance and proved it with measurements.

Go check it out! I know that most of this forum doesn't frequent the car audio forums, but there's a lot of smart creative folks on Diyma.

Here is one way to determine if diffraction treatment is effective:

1) take an existing speaker
2) and add a roundover

Then observe the difference.

Would it be better if we had measurements in both the frequency and time domain? Of course it would.

But if you believe that diffraction treatment doesn't work, read the Diyma thread. There are literally dozens of people all over the world trying this, and reporting back their findings. It's been universally positive.

Now I concede that we could apply the same yardstick to silliness like Enabl treatment, and come up with the same positive results.

My argument against that is that there *has* been a few people on the Diyma thread who have demonstrated that the diffraction treatment improved the performance and proved it with measurements.

Go check it out! I know that most of this forum doesn't frequent the car audio forums, but there's a lot of smart creative folks on Diyma.

This misses the point.

I *do* believe that diffraction treatment can make a difference - so you are "preaching to the choir" here. ;)

What I do NOT automatically believe is that the fatigue you have mentioned is the result of diffraction with the Vandersteen 2C.

It *might* be the reason, or *part* of the reason.

-BUT there are any number of other possibilities as well when compared with your Summa's (..which btw, have plenty of diffraction - if at a lower freq.)