Geddes on Waveguides

This looks very wierd.:confused: However, it is an interesting perspective.

Attachments

• phase01.gif
    phase01.gif
    115.9 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Short question, short answer. Two OS 100Hz waveguides one with 2" and another with 1" throat, flat 3-4" full range and wide dispersion piston. What's the difference? Beaming?

I'm confused here! If the piston is 3-4" how can the throat be 1" or 2"?

If you have two waveguides of identical shape except for the throat, and the throat has a piston whose size is matched to the throat then theoretically they will have the same directivity at all frequencies.

If the piston is greater than the throat and there is a phase plug, the phase plug will determine the final result, but in general the 2" throat will beam sooner than the 1".

Throat size must match driver membrane even if it's flat? I thought bigger would work somehow forming compression chamber. I'm going to try 3" throat 100Hz OS this year. What do you think?

You need to think about what happens at the edges of the throat when the diaphragm is larger than the throat. At LF this is not important, but at HFs it is everything. Draw it out and look at what has to happen as the diaphragm moves. This is why there are phase plugs and phase plugs determine almost everything about the HF performance.

If you restrict the range to 0-.1 you can get some useful data from the phase plot.

If for instance you use a flat 40mm. Piston then all of the phase wavefronts up to 10kHz. Are circular in form.

This represents the Hermetian limit of solutions to the paraxial wave equation for a flat piston of this diameter, and the wavefronts become non circular above this.
Rcw.

I beleive there is a bug in the way this phase contour is displayed. It's been reported.

Hi soongsc,

I think you are probably right about there being a bug in the software. I would expect phase contour plots to look more like the following attached exponential horn examples.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Phase1.jpg
    Phase1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 606
  • Phase2.jpg
    Phase2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 610
If you restrict the range to 0-.1 you can get some useful data from the phase plot.

If for instance you use a flat 40mm. Piston then all of the phase wavefronts up to 10kHz. Are circular in form.

This represents the Hermetian limit of solutions to the paraxial wave equation for a flat piston of this diameter, and the wavefronts become non circular above this.
Rcw.

I don;t think that this equation is applicable to the problem at hand.

Hi soongsc,

I think you are probably right about there being a bug in the software. I would expect phase contour plots to look more like the following attached exponential horn examples.

Kind regards,

David
Pure phase plot is going to be different from running a wave. One indicates only phase angle, but the other shows amplitude. Problem with AxiDriver seems to be how it swaps between +/-180 deg, and also display at various scales. The wave lengths and contour just changes. The higher the frequency, the funnier it looks.

I agree that the mentioned equation is not directly relavent to the current problem, but I just mentioned it because I found it useful to check that the software is delivering accurate data.
I found the phase plot accurate as far as wavefront goes appart from the ragged looking bits.
These might well be Thom effect artefacts.
rcw.

I agree that the mentioned equation is not directly relavent to the current problem, but I just mentioned it because I found it useful to check that the software is delivering accurate data.
I found the phase plot accurate as far as wavefront goes appart from the ragged looking bits.
These might well be Thom effect artefacts.
rcw.

Wow, I hope that terminology "down under" isn't completely obscured from the rest of the world, because I virtually never understand what you are saying - I have never heard most of the terms and concepts that you use. And when I look them up they never seem to have anything to do with the problem at hand.

I have a vast experince in acoustics in NA, SA and EU and in all those localities the terminology is identical, but vastly different that what you come up with.

I have never heard of the "Thom Effect" and perusal of Google shows up nothing even remotely connected to acoustics. Just like most of your references.

As I have said previously my background in acoustics is only via seismolgy and that is via the acoustic approximation used in that field.
I seismologists and seimic tomographers know well what I am saying, since these things I refer to are used in this field and give access to a large variety of useful mathematics that is otherwise not available by only looking at the classical formulation of acoustics.
The approach that I have is certainly not from the classical acoustics viewpoint, but the mathematical methods I mention are never the less correct and relavent to the problems put forth in these threads in these forums.
By the Thom effect I refer to the behavoir of certain types of polynomials in the viscinity of singularities, usually referd to as Thom's catastrophe theory, this is much used by computer modellers and I am surprised you haven't heard of it.
rcw

No, that is not correct. HOM for a mechanical structure are quite different than those for an acoustic system. The 3D nature of the acoustics problem allows for dispersion of the wave as it propagates in space. While the modes in a membrane are themselves also dispersive they are only so in frequency not in space (the wave speed is frequency dependent in a membrane, but it is spatially dependent in a waveguide - very different things).

The acoustic field in the mouth of the horn would indeed be quite analogous to the breakup modes of a membrane, that part is absolutely correct. The total motion being the sum of the primary mode and the HOM in both cases. But the difference comes from how that pattern comes about. The HOM in the diaphragm are not related to the HOM in the waveguide, but the opposite is true. For example, there will still be HOM and a complex acoustic pattern at the mouth even if the diaphragm is perfectly rigid with no HOM.

In a real system the audible issues will be a very complex mixture of the HOM in the diaphragm, those in the phase plug and those in the waveguide and each contribution depends on the others. This is exactly why it is so hard, quite possible impossible, to say that a certain sound quality does or does not stem from HOM in the waveguide.

BUT, here is some data that makes the issues at least somewhat clearer. 1) identical drivers on a poor horn will sound bad, hence the HOM in the driver are not dominate because 2) the same driver on a good waveguide sounds better, hence the HOM created by the waveguide or horn must be a strong contributing factor. Finally 3) adding foam does not change the creation of HOM by either the driver or the horn/phaseplug, but does improve the sound, hence the foam must have an effect on something that causes the poor sound quality. Is HOM reduction the whole story? I doubt it. Are the HOM contributed by the waveguide a factor, of that I have little doubt and no one that I know of has studied this as much as I have.

If anyone is interested, I have posted measurements of a horn with and without foam today. Of particular interest is that the horn is a real wonky one, which should generated gobs and gobs of HOMs. Therefore, the effect of the foam may be more easily discerned.

Here's the thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151376

I'm still working on it, but the trend seems like pressure contour look quite smooth until wall angles reach a certain angle, then, like flow separation, the pressure contour lines get real messy. What is interesting is that the on-axis notch also apears as the wall angles widen.

I recall Michael was doing some sims using a plane wave source. I kind of wonder what his experience is.

Well, as you know I'm following a slightly different path here – trying to look at the whole complex of diffraction where horns, wave guides and edge-diffraction have it's very roots in.

Even for some widely spread misinterpretation of the mechanisms of dampening measures (to "avoid" edge diffraction) we can gain a deeper understanding that for some might offer surprisingly conclusions.

In German language we possibly have it slightly easier from the very beginning, as "diffraction" here is rather called "Beugung" with the meaning of "bending" (though "Streuung" - the "spreading, scattering" meaning of diffraction can be used as well).
This indicates – in a simple understanding - that "diffraction" mainly tells us that you can hear a source that is hidden by a solid obstacle – meaning the wave front is "bent" around a corner.

Actually the term "diffraction" in audio does not have a scientific quantification – and is not even well defined for its very quality – at least as far as I know and telling from all the mess with this term I read around here – and I strongly advocate to *not* use it for the effects but rather for the cause *only*.
Doing so we will be able to more easily sort things out and we also see that for a piston source radiating into 2Pi space (infinite baffle) for example, the "diffraction" is always the same : 90 degree towards either side – no matter if we mount our speaker flush or put some sort of baffle rounding or horn in between.

What makes all the difference regarding the outcome (the *effects*) of that same 90 degree "diffraction" is how "points of diffraction" actually are aligned to form that 90 degree contour.

I have shown – in an structured manner – how diffraction of flush mount piston sources in infinite baffle turns out at:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1891535&postcount=418

In my next postings I like to present how diffraction for simple round overs' of piston sources into infinite baffle turn out

In
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1924924&postcount=472
I have presented how different diffraction alignment (round over) at the mouth of a horn turns out.

And I possibly will present some more simus about how different diffraction alignment at the throat of horns turns out (looking some closer at scattering junctions).

Over the course my work hopefully provides a useful bunch of information that can be cross correlated and allows us to develop a basic feeling and understanding about the topic of "diffraction" on a more objective basis than has been available until.
It certainly has transformed *my* understanding in that horns have to be seen as "diffraction aligned" device – by far superior compared to direct radiators - in most but few cases - if considered in this context of sound filed defects

I strongly agree with thend to recognise sound field defects as "new" kind of distortion – possibly best to be called "distortion of time of arrival consistency" (TAC distortion)
:D

Michael

PS
Again,
besides it's beauty the plots to be shown present a awful lot of information in a highly concentrated manner.
If needed you can familiarise with that kind of plots in:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1888195#post1888195

PPS:
BTW Soongc, your most recent simus in
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1916139&postcount=3265
are impressive again!

Last edited: