• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Sowter 10K:10K Input Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY said:
Luvdunhill, if you go the Cinemag route, I'd certainly be in for a pair of those. Pretty much dead-on equivalents of the Jensens, and much cheaper.

I can't speak to this particular transformer, but I know that Cinemag winds some of Jensen's others. Indeed, there is a pair of transformers in the mail to me right now from Cinemag and stamped Jensen on the label.

okapi said:
can the CMLI-15/15B or a similar transformer be used in place of the input and/or output coupling capacitors on the b1 buffer?

thanks

On the output, you still need a DC blocking cap. Or, you need to build the amp balanced. Also, a 600:600 transformer w/o shielding is a better choice as it has better bandwidth, lower distortion, and lower capacitance. Conceptually, this is the idea: http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=7740

On the input, at a glance, unless you balance it, you'll still need a DC blocking cap.

luvdunhill said:

SY hinted at something requiring a square wave generator and a scope in his article. Perhaps he can outline the general principle for both solid state (JFET) input and tube input stages?

This is slightly controverial. Without a doubt, a filter will make a square wave look better. However, many people who work with and/or wind transformers (from Electra-Print to O-Netics to K&K) seem to think that ringing is not really an issue, and that these filters can do more harm than good.

http://electra-print.com/techblog.php?blogid=5

Exactly my point. If I am going to end up having to redesign an input stage that I don't quite understand, it will be foolish for me to look at a Sowter. I have access to a scope, but no square wave generator. I guess I could use my computer and sound card. I would prefer the OCC wire, but don't want to make a big project of it.

luvdunhill said:
Also, since the primary and secondary ratios are the same, I'm not sure how that article really applies here?

Yes, the citation is not perfect for what I was trying to say. The point is that all transformers ring (bifilar and quadfilar ring less), but that it isn't the end of the world and may not negatively influence sound quality. Some people think that the practice of stopping the ringing does more harm than good, so people should not be scared off from using input transformers just because they lack a scope and a square wave generator.

seem to think that ringing is not really an issue, and that these filters can do more harm than good.

Well, might as well go back to my 1985 vintage Sony CD player.:D Seriously, I have an issue with a transformer adding stuff, but if someone likes that sound effect, well, it's their money and their ears.

BTW, the calibrator output of most scopes makes a dandy square wave source.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's too bad you guys don't look in our own back yard.

Forum member Bud Purvine makes the best coulpling transformers I've ever heard - and I'm not alone in that opinion. (I've compared them to Jensen, Edcor, Sowter and others)

Well worth considering.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last week I was about to buy 50 custom 1:1 transformers from Bud. I ran into some technical snags (nothing to do with the transformers) so have put it off.

But I see at least 12 pair requested here, or about 1/2 of what I was going to buy.

If what I want and what you want are the same, it may be a good deal for all.

We'll ask Bud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.