• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Pass M2 Clone Boards with 120mm UMS spacing by Tea-Bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boards, trafos and parts arrived last week. Thank you Tea-Bag

Some questions:

Can't find resistor WNDR50FET. Mouser say 21 weeks delivery time, almost the same as other distributors.
Is there any good quality replacement ?

Which is the best non polarized Cap (sonically wise) to use as C2 as substitute to Elna silmic?

Some questions:

Can't find resistor WNDR50FET. Mouser say 21 weeks delivery time, almost the same as other distributors.

Which is the best non polarized Cap (sonically wise) to use as C2 as substitute to Elna silmic?

You can use metal oxide 0.5R 3W instead of wndr50fet!

You should try elma silmic and bypass whit MKP! No need for mambo jumbo! :D
Elmas have something that is special!

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Some questions:

My recommendations from blog, and spreadsheet are merely that.
Nelson used CMF or RN55 type signal resistors and Panasonic Metal Oxide 3W .47R units.

In my personal builds, and recommendations - I will generally use if not too expensive very low ppm tempco resistors as I think they make things a bit more precise sounding. Others wanting things to sound warmer or cooler will want to try different things. I did not do a bunch of swapping of parts in this circuit besides the Jfets and mostfets.(I discussed earlier that the MOSFETs had an impact IMO) The resistors brands are ones I have worked with a lot already and are comfortable recommending them.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Coming together nicely. Very pleasant build and nice boards as usual. Store sinks fit perfectly.

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice work. It looks like you found the power resistors.
More on that.

Again, I am not totally comfortable with reviewing parts per se. But I will not hide what I like, or why. In my experience lower ppm parts generally give a more precise sound. Does it take some romance sound out of Firstwatt designs? Maybe, but I dont think the fundamentals are lost. Maybe a bit of resolution is gained.
A long time ago I started using these resistors as they seemed to be of good/quality/price construction. Although Mills and others can give lower ppm count, I find these to hit that ratio well. (And mills quality not great)

When I consider what I am doing and offering in Group Buys, I look for value when offering parts.
Do I think Caddock MK132 are worth the money, no. as an example. PRP area better value and cleaner sound. My ideals are to provide what I think is the best value when recommending or offering kit parts. I feel this makes the amp more accessible to build to others, with room to tweak to personal preference.
I dislike the concept that this needs to be a rich or even middle class persons hobby. Of course, a truly very poor person is not likely on this forum in the first place.
I am always open to others ideas on value/sound experiences as well. I have learned a lot from others here. Not many of these things I present (except maybe the Harris transistor deduction, are my own).

Very nice & very neat build indeed :)
Haven't started my M2 build yet - as all manner of things are still in transit or still looking to complete the component list

However on this occasion because I fear that work will keep me busy so much so that I will be dragging the chain a little.
So I have enlisted my associate to build the M2 for me and lets face it, he is fantastic with a soldering iron
My contribution is to put 5U Deluxe chassis together and select components :note:

FR

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.