• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joseph,
Okay, here is what I get set as you recommend. I used Hanning because that is what I use on my real instruments.

-Chris

Attachments

• Left Kaiser7 Loopback 64 Bit FFT.jpg
    Left Kaiser7 Loopback 64 Bit FFT.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 261
I found RTX6001 can have a pretty decent THD in the loopback measurement, if the transformer is upside down and rotated to make the wire-output facing to the opposite direction of the main PCB. It also reduces the harmonics of 60Hz for the -20/-10/0dBV inputs dramatically. Forced air cooling helps to reduce the 3rd harmonic in the 1K sine THD test and keeps the THD value between 0.000018% and 0.000020%, an extremely stable reading.

I can understand rotating the transformer. But not quite the reason why you turn it upside down. Does it really makes a difference if you only rotate?

I can understand rotating the transformer. But not quite the reason why you turn it upside down. Does it really makes a difference if you only rotate?

The in/out of the wires are at the upper part of the transformer, so make it upside down may block some EM radiation. In addition, the length of the wires between the transformer and the PCB is pretty short; without turning the transformer upside down, you won't be able to rotate the transformer much.

I found the limiting factor of rotation on my unit being the connection from the iec socket after also some ground wire lug rotation. I guess I will just go with this and see how things work out.

I believe the lengths of wires should be similar between units. Turning the transformer upside down will make some more room to rotate. I have also adjusted the rotation of the ground wire lug.

I tried both ways, the rotation angle limit made no difference because the PCB connector is vertical, upside down, the secondary wires put stress on the connector.
If the connector were horizontal, then less magnetic field in the PCB direction.

Last edited:
I've received my unit yesterday as well - thank you goes out to RTX team!

I did some quick tests at 0dB settings - looks as good as expected.

I then also ran one quick test with Jan's Autoranger (also 0dB setting) in the right channel loop... it's almost as good as RTX, but one can see about 5dB difference in noisefloor. That does show how good the RTX is - I sure am happy with it.

Attachments

• Ergo_RTX.jpg
    Ergo_RTX.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 248
  • RightMark Audio Analyzer test _ [ASIO] RTX 96k_24 THD@-3dBFS Wideband.pdf
    241.9 KB · Views: 109
  • RightMark Audio Analyzer test _ [ASIO] RTX + AutoRanger in Rch.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 82
Some more results.

RTX6001 left ch loopback - out setting 0dBV / in setting 0dBV

For THD the levels below approx 0.47V show same THD. Above that a small raise.

For IMD it seems <0.4V is the lowest distortion.

dBV wise the stepping was from -20...-4 dBV

In any case the results are below 0.001% which is superb as is.

Attachments

• Distortions_best_spot.png
    Distortions_best_spot.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 210
I am not getting any output when connected to the MacBook. Connected to the unbalanced output. Trying to do some music playing.
All the Mac settings are correct, the sample rate will switch to match whatever music is playing, but I am not getting any sound on the output. Volume controls on the player don’t seem to work.

Last edited:
I am not getting any output when connected to the MacBook. Connected to the unbalanced output. Trying to do some music playing.
All the Mac settings are correct, the sample rate will switch to match whatever music is playing, but I am not getting any sound on the output. Volume controls on the player don’t seem to work.

Which audio software did you try? iTunes should work. Make sure it's not sending audio to some AirPlay thingy (happens to me all the time).

The audio configuration can by confusing like hell on Mac OS X.
Check the audio config in the Mac OS X Settings
Check the audio config in the Audio Midi application

Which audio software did you try? iTunes should work. Make sure it's not sending audio to some AirPlay thingy (happens to me all the time).

The audio configuration can by confusing like hell on Mac OS X.

Check the audio config in the Mac OS X Settings

Check the audio config in the Audio Midi application

I tried Jriver and iTunes. I switch between three other sound cards with no problem. But I could check again.

So how do you control volume? Wouldn’t it be at minimum?

You don't control the playback volume via the "software volume control". Either you use the signal level switch at the RTX front, or the audio analyser software (REW, MATAA, whatever) changes the signal amplitude by scaling the samples by some factor before sending them to the RTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.