• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for currymanDAC & PSU Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi. I'm interested in ps board and had a couple of questions:

1) Have yo checked if there are equivalent 120vac trafos for buyers with 120vac mains?

2) What is the mA output of each (5v & 15v)?

Thanks.

Hi palmito,

to be honest I didn't check for 110/120V equivalents. The GB was initially intended for European customers only and such was the development of the PSU boards.

The +/-15V part has a pinout for EI 48/16.8 core or alternatively the smaller EI 42/14.8 core each with single primaries and double secondaries.

The 5V part has pinout either for EI 38/13.5 core or for EI 30/12.5 core each with single primaries and secondaries.

Not sure if 110V/120V variants with this core sizes are available :confused: If anyone has a tip that would be very helpful.
As an alternative you can always use offboard transformers. I added holes for screwterminals (5mm leadspacing) ;)

With the transformers specified in the BOM max. current will be arround 250mA for +/-15V and 350mA for 5V. With external transformers current can be higher if sufficient cooling is provided for the regs. Eventually you have to adjust the registor values in the CRC.

kind regards, Daniel

Dual 115V Block Transformers

EI 38/13,5 109 :: Trafo 3,2VA, 9V, 356mA is your

transformer and here's a dual 115V Block Transformers: Block APT 30/2/15.
Here's the WEB Site:

BLOCK Transformatoren-Elektronik GmbH :::: Products :::: PCB transformers :::: Product Details[]=5439617&v[]=5439625&v[]=5439626&v[]=5439627&v[]=5439628&v[]=5439629&v[]=5439618&v[]=5439620&v[]=5439621&v[]=5439622&v[]=5439623&v[]=5439624

EI 48/16,8 218Trafo 10VA, 2x 18V, 2x 277mA is your other transformer.

Here's a dual 115V equivalent: Block ADT 30/2/12.

Can your change the Power Supply PCB's that can use these transformers?:confused:

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The transformers from the PDFs are rated 30VA, much bigger than the ones used for the PSU :eek:
The Block AVC 3,2/2/8 and AVC 10/2/18 would be candidates with suitable cores and power ratings, however there are no detailed drawings available (i'll ask Block if they can send me some).
However this would require a rework of the boards (dual primaries, dual secondaries for the 5V) which is always some risk, takes some more time...Not really sure if I and the most of you would like to go that way :confused: The boards from the group buy have been successfully tested (and will be tested ones more before we order).
You still can use the external transformer and/or other LM317/337 PSUs are available here or there ;)

kind regards, Daniel

Remove me from the list for power supplies for this group buy

My name needs to be deleted from the group buy. I had hopes that changes
to the PCB's could be made so that either 120V or 230V could be used.
I'm sure that Block, the transformer company, does offer 120V/230V
versions. Split primaries is very common. Put the primaries in series and you get
230V, place them in parallel and you get 120V.:mad:

Am confused about pricing here.

3 DACs from MiniDSP costs $150 including delivery to the UK

3 DACs from here costs €118 ($161) including delivery to the UK

Please can someone explain why this is a good deal for european buyers.

Also is it possible to have some specs for the power supply?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Am confused about pricing here.

3 DACs from MiniDSP costs $150 including delivery to the UK

3 DACs from here costs €118 ($161) including delivery to the UK

Please can someone explain why this is a good deal for european buyers.

Also is it possible to have some specs for the power supply?

Don't forget import VAT (AFAIK 20% in the UK) and customs duties (not sure about that). see also post #13 above.

Specs of the PSU with above BOM:
+/- 14,25V / 200mA
+ 5V / 300mA

please find attached the dimensions of the board. Outer dimensions anr 100x100mm however +/-15V part and 5V part can be separated.

more info can be found in some posts above ;)

@ samoloko: The DAC is ready build and tested (by miniDSP), the PSU is bare board as stated in the initial post.

Attachments

• Curryman DAC Power Supply v1.1 dimensions.JPG
    Curryman DAC Power Supply v1.1 dimensions.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 536
Joined 2010
Paid Member
@mrsavage and all other potential 115V PSU version buyer,

I desided to not change the PSU layout for the european (220V) customers, since this is tested and proved to work very well with easy to source parts. Also it may be possible to further reduce the price (no guarantee at the moment!) since this will be a reorder of already produced pcb's.

However I could offer to make a second version with another trafo pin layout. The price will be similar to that mentioned in the first post depending on the number of orders. It will probably be a bit higher than the 220V version since there are already quite a lot of orders (~50).
But I'd need some support from the community since I don't have the time to do a deep investigation on suitable and worldwide easy to source tranformer models :eek:

Trafos must have the following specs:
+/-15V supply: dual 18V secondaries, max. outer dimensions 50,5x42,5[mm]
single or dual primaries
+5V supply: dual or single 8-9V secondaries, max. outer dimensions 41x35[mm], single or dual primaries

So, lets see what comes out ;)

kind regards, Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.