Gainclone electrical safety

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry Mike

we are really off topic, now. You could send me a mail under franz dot gysi at tiscalinet dot ch, if you are seriously interested...

I thought, because I documented all saftey aspects about this amp, I can show you the latest fotos, because I am a little bit proud of it :clown:

Franz

You should be. Looks great!

Your unit is completley covered, no open holes, the back panel is neat and clean.

One point for humor. UL doesn't allow holes in the bottom of most electrical appliances. Not all, just most. The reason is so that molten stuff doesn't fall out the bottom should it catch on fire. Not an issue for your unit.

a few minor additions for mike's great post:

-6- in canada the equivalent to UL is CSA.

-8- this can be emphasized. cheap, poor crimpers are common, and so is poor technique. it wouldn't be a bad idea to suggest the beginner should make a handful of test crimps screwed to the bench to test for both. it can be hard to get a good grip inside your amp.

-7- it's common to see electrical tape ends kept stuck down with a daub of pvc cement or crazy glue. it works, i've never seen it fail, BUT i've unaware of any norms that have tested this or allowed it. the summarized version of this thread should probably emphasize using rated heatshrink not tape.

for the off-topic portion: nuuk, have you got a good technique or link for centering homemade resin knobs? it'd also be nice to figure out how to use the side-screw brass inserts.

nuuk, have you got a good technique or link for centering homemade resin knobs? it'd also be nice to figure out how to use the side-screw brass inserts.

I'm not sure if we shouldn't find another thread for this but here goes!

The problem of centering the sharfts is the stumbling block as far as I can see. Without building an accurate jig, this is almost impossible and why I have stayed with making wooden knobs as described on my site.

I am currently thinking of asking a friend with a lathe to turn me some acrylic knobs but perhaps Franz can tell us how he made those knobs in the pictures!
;)

Sorry, I cannot describe the complete process to build replica knobs, as I learned it by try and error.

If the head of the knob is flat, then I don't have a problem to drill the hole exactly centered.

If the head is not flat, then a self made jig is needed.

For the screw: if the M4 screw is more than 8mm long, then you drill a 3.2mm hole and cut direct in the epoxy an M4 for the screw. No need for a metal insert.

Franz

I try to formulate some kind of an CE declaration for a sold amp.

It is some kind of silly, what I wrote :)

But I don't hesitate, to post it here. Do you have better, more professional text or some changes/adds to suggest?

CE Declaration

This device, the F. Gysi Hybrid Amp #1, is constructed and hand made with my best knowledge and consultance from this source:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41559&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=9

Dedicated use of this device:

This device is dedicated for use as an audio amplifier in dry conditions between 10 to 35 degree room temp, placed on a safe place in a living room or similar. Dont use, when the case is opened or damaged.

The amp should be used by adult people only, not for unobserved use in a childrens room.

The amp should not be covered and must stand on three or four feets, to guarantee the (passive) airflow within the amp.

Dont place it nearby any heater and dont let the sun shine on it directly while operating, to keep the safe operation.

It is not allowed to remove the ground plug of the mains connection.

The amp should only be opened and serviced by qualified people.

Inside the amp, dangerous voltages (30 to 80 VDC) are applying. Some caps are still charged some minutes after switching the amp off.

Disconnect the power cord and wait some minutes, before opening the case.

While operating, at the output pins max. 30V is possible. Avoid to touch them. Under normal conditions, this is not dangerous.

Thanks for feedback!
Franz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.