Gainclone Cool/Cheap Parts Treasure hunt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

JazzzSpazzz said:
Specifically, like Variac, I'm using BrianGT's PCB and the inputs doesn't seem to match up at least to me. The 2 hot wires are + and -20 VAC, respectively--how does this connect to a PCB that seems to want 2 neutrals & 2 hots?

I made a couple of posts about this in the other thread. Here is one way to do it with a single bridge:

One ground wire is run to each board from the power supply board.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but it should work.

An alternative is just to use one side of the power supply board (a single bridge), and wire the grounds off the board, tieing one wire from the centertap to each of the amplifier pcb grounds. Make sure to have a capacitor rated high enough for this setup.

--
Brian

Attachments

• center-tapped.gif
    center-tapped.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 936
Planet 10,
It looks like you'll get V+ out of both bridges on the dual sec with 2 bridges schemos you have posted. On the lower bridge you need to swap the V- and 0v = Grounnd labels to get v- out.Circuit is drawn correctly and cap is oriented corectly, just mis-labeled. Might make for unhappy chips other-wise.

Lee35210

planet10

isn't it better to delete lee35210's intervention (sorry lee), because of possible confusion about the diagrams you allready edited?
people who read this thread synchronically, could misunderstand it and search for flaws who have been corrected allready.

Thanks Planet10, BrianGT & all!

That helps a lot! Thanks for the corrected diagrams Plant10. I was most confused on the trannys themselves, I guess--it seemed to me a center tap had the same output as a dual secondary, but I think I got it. So I'm looking for dual 2ndary windings for the easiest connection to Brian's boards. I guess its the Avel 18 + 18 or 25 + 25 from PE for me.

Oh, Brian, I just want you to know that if it weren't for you I would be cursing GT for the St. Joe's game.

Thanks again,
Bret Morrow

Source for aluminum bar and sheet stock

For those building their own cases, www.onlinemetals.com looks like a good source. They sell several alloys in a variety of sizes. One nice thing is that they offer a range of pre-cut pieces, saving you the cutting charges that industrial distributors charge for less than a whole length/sheet. Their prices seem reasonable, although I haven't checked out their shipping charges.

Phil

Cool parts treasure find

Weeelllll, I think it was best said by Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz:

...if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard.

Avel Lindberg, mfg of fine toroidal transformers, is only about 30 min away from me and, yes, they will sell 1 tranny to me. Also, they are located fairly close to the Homebrew (beer) shop where I need to pick up some supplies anyways. And thanks to Planet10 & BrianGT (& the others who responded) I know which tannies are good for GC & his boards.

Cool, I'm getting there!:angel:

Thanks,
Bret Morrow

widman said:
I'm buying aluminum from McMaster Carr . They sell a 1/4" x 3" x 72" bar of 6061 for about $28.00 (p/n 8975K28) and a 1/4" x 4" x 72" bar for about $38.00 (p/n 8975K29). There are also plenty of other options in thickness, width and length.

widman
You might wanta try http://www.onlinemetals.com that 0.25"x3"x72" aluminum bar is $18.70, plus you can get it in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, or 8 foot lengths.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.