Gainclone Cool/Cheap Parts Treasure hunt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is a thread to list all the cool stuff you've tracked down to make your Brian GT kit or other gainclone.

Ok here's the lamest:

Order the Avel Lindburg 330 VA toroid dual 25v secondary
from Parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm? &DID=7&Partnumber=122-640
or directly from AV

Here's better:

Here's some cast cases that would be massive and ribbed enough to function as a GC heatsink:
Photo:
http://www.fairradio.com/enc-8-6.htm

Info:
http://www.fairradio.com/cases.htm

Ideal enclosures for your next project! All items below are black aluminum chassis with dark grey front panels. The top and bottom of each of the units are heatsinked with 1/10" fins. The overall dimension of each unit is 9 5/8" deep x 5" tall. All enclosures have multiple 1/4" diameter holes on the front plate. They differ according to width. Used excellent.

1 15/16" Wide, 3 lbs sh, #ENC-4-2, $7.50
4 1/8" Wide, 4 lbs sh, #ENC-10-4, $10.00
5 9/16" Wide, 5 lbs sh, #ENC-8-6, $12.00
####

Par Metal Cases:
These were already mentioned on the chassis thread, but I just ordered one of the 20 series BUT with a Black anodized front panel, silver small handles, and I got them to increase the thickness of the panel to 3/16" They claim that they can offer up to 3/8" but said on the phone that they couldn't . Still 3/16" is 50% thicker than the 1/8" stock one.

For 3"h x 12"w x 8" deep I paid $57 plus shipping.
Should look great with the Indian silver knobs.
Knobs:
Wait till we get the Indian satin silver knob order together: what beauty! and a reasonable price!!

If you can't wait 6 or 7 weeks:

http://www.apexjr.com/knobs.htm

Watch out - the big ones are reallly big!
He has transformers often but nine listed that are good gainclone material, BUT some have scored good stuff by calling him be cause he has a few things laying around that he hasn't listed.

Well, my "finds" are somewhat different...

Most of my finds are from the lab dustbin rather than commerical sources.

1) a 6" x 1.25" x 4" block of aluminum with 2 small, threaded screw holes on the face of it about 4" apart--perfect for the LM3875s. There is also 1 large threaded hole in the center--perfect for mounting it to the case.

2) a 1/2" thick sheet of aluminum that is 3 x 2 feet. It still has its blue plastic on it to protect the polished surface. This 1 isn't quite as useful for this CG, but I couldn'd pass it up (or it would have been pitched out!).

that's about it for me, I'm still lost mentally about a volume control. I'm on the learning curve about pots or attenuator or preamps or whatever, now so I'm just thinking of ordering cheap stereo pots from Mouser until I know more.

http://www.mouser.com/

I have also been having a grand time playing around with the external design--I'm thinking of something like a over simplified Shinto shrine. Small footprint and more vertical than most designs, but why not? (OK other than heat dissipation)

Cheers (& waiting with baited breath for USPS),
Bret Morrow

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You could cut the 1/2" aluminum with a table saw or chop saw with a non-ferrous metal cutting blade. Peter Daniel does it all the time, that's how he makes his great cases. Now 1/2" ain't gonna resonate a lot and that's good!!

I'm doing the layered tall look on another type amp, so I suspect
I basically know what you're up too!!;)

I was looking at the transformers that Leeds has - 2x18V, 225VA Plitron, but was not sure if it would be beefy enough. I guess I could get two and go dual mono... for $30/trafo, seems like a good deal.

Hmmmm... If I go dual mono, I could build an outboard supply that could be used to power a number of projects: Mini A, A-X, etc. (one at a time, of course).

Cody

Leeds power transformers are AOK!

hi

FWIW, i've built a 6-channel clone using two of the Plitron units (dual mono, each transformer supplies 3 channels). The transformers are great - very beefy units with no buzz/noise issues. With el-cheapo toroids I would be a bit vary of mechanical noise. IMHO, the loose-ish windings found in some of the cheaper toroidals make for a lot of buzzing headaches.

HTH-

p

Cut'n'pasted from Variac:

You could cut the 1/2" aluminum with a table saw or chop saw with a non-ferrous metal cutting blade. Peter Daniel does it all the time, that's how he makes his great cases. Now 1/2" ain't gonna resonate a lot and that's good!!

new from me:

I have been looking into that but I think that that will wait until the next CG. The idea of lifting this chunk of metal up on my table saw kinda scares me! Besides, I like to finish this 1st CG sooner rather than later. Of course for me that may mean late summer--my daughter & I are still building a pair of speakers for her that we started last fall.

Here is the PartsExpress.com transformer that OfficeBoy posted on the forum. Just in case someone in the BrianGT group buy missed his post, its on the opening page of www.partsexpress.com until 5 PM EST Wednesday.

Cheers,
Bret Morrow

Attachments

• buyout tranfo.jpg.jpg
    buyout tranfo.jpg.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,808
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those Parts Express trannies look hard to beat- but I've got somethin' that just might. BUT I'm going to order some first to make sure the quality is good enough for you guys. Then once I safely have mine, I'll be happy to post the info (what a jerk I am!)

I also bought a gainclone kit for my kid (son) Instead of building him speakers, I pulled my old Boston Acoustics A70's out of the attic and got a foam surround repair kit from Parts Express to replace the long ago rotted cone surround. I took my time (about an hour) and they are now repaired- and no rubbing of the voice coil!!!!! This repair is about the most rewarding DIY thing I've done- A worthless pair of speakers is now jazzin' out hooked to an old receiver. Wait till he hears the gainclone!!

Hey! I need some potentiometers (20k-30K?) who knows of some decent ones at a decent price?

Here is thePar-metal case link from my first post: http://www.par-metal.com

I was looking at the transformers that Leeds has - 2x18V, 225VA Plitron, but was not sure if it would be beefy enough.

You are a victim of a common American condition known as the 'bigger is better syndrome'! ;)

2 x 80VA is sufficient to produce perfectly good results with a Gainclone. IMHO over 200VA per channel is overkill and a waste of money unless you already have a traffo of that size.

Variac said:
Those Parts Express trannies look hard to beat- but I've got somethin' that just might. BUT I'm going to order some first to make sure the quality is good enough for you guys. Then once I safely have mine, I'll be happy to post the info (what a jerk I am!)
(SNIP)

OK, you have peaked my interest. Is this mystery tranny a toroidal? If so, just email me the information and I promise you will feel less like a jerk !! ;-)

The pot is still eluding me. BrianGT is putting together a ladder attenuator group buy over on the bits 'n bobs forum (I think its really called parts & something). Its going to be about $90 which is probably a good buy, but I'm not ready to commit to that yet. I really have been considering just getting a cheap RadioShack replacement stereo pot & using this for a bit until I can decide or 10 years, whichever comes first !

Glad to hear the BA speakers are alive & well. My friend repaired his last year & they are thumping again. I decided not to repair my woofer rot speakers--its more fun to build new ones.

Cheers,
Bret Morrow

well, just bought 3 of those transformers. thanks for the tip. also found more goodies after junk diving (my school's got a pc/electronics recycling center. take what you want is awesome). picked up a gigantic case (exactly what i was looking for) and a bunch of heatsinks to furthur along my 6-ch GC project

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,365
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jazzzzzzzz Spazzzzzzz:
I guess my conscience isn't fully developed so I'm still resisting on the transformer, but it is open frame- not a toroid.

BUT to help a little here is some info:

Peter Daniel said:
I was recommending 25K pot but I don't see a reason why 50k wouldn't work either.
In case of using 50k pot you have to add 22k shunt resistor to lower the input impedance and prevent excessive DC offset.

So, I guess 50K pots are fine , So go here to Brigar electronics:

http://www.brigarelectronics.com/

Select Potentiometers from the left side menu, and you will find 2 types of Alps 50k dual pots. One manual with a 2k balance pot.
One with electric motors for a remote setup!!

Now, that's some cheap pots...

Variac said:

Select Potentiometers from the left side menu, and you will find 2 types of Alps 50k dual pots. One manual with a 2k balance pot.

Just ordered up a couple. Pots have been the one of the major things holding me back from my VBIGC. I didn't want to spend a lot of money $50-$100 to only get rid of them after I figure out how to wind my own autoformers. Seems like a waste.

Of course, as slowly as I move, that could be lightyears away.:sleep:

Sorry about the tranny...

Variac said:
Truthfully I was concerned my transformers won't do the job,
Sadly it turns out they won't . better to get the cheap ones from Parts Express! Seem to be still availlable

I am leaning towards the 250 VA, 25-0-25 toroidal from PE or the 18-0-18 from Leeds. I guess I willing to replace the pot down the road, but I'd like a nice tranny now, rather than trying to replace it later. I am bummed because PE doesn't have good pots--they only have the cheap mono ones. I kinda want to order the pot, connectors, & tranny all from 1 place to save on shipping.

Variac said:
(SNIP)BUT to help a little here is some info:

Peter Daniel said:

Ohhhhh Mannnnnnnn.... I like the idea of the remote controled volume. This may be a bit beyond me right now, but I bet it would look really cool. I have actually been thinking of just using my computer output as the "pot" right now ordering the tranny & stuff from PE. I'm still waiting on an email from Leeds about the toroidal tranny that Reverber mentioned earlier this thread and to see if they have pots. I still haven't got my package from BrianGT, but I ordered very late, so I'm not really concerned.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Bret Morrow

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Might as well get the 330 VA rather than the 250 from Parts Express. I'll bet it's only a little more....

The motor pots would work fine manually. They have a shaft for a knob. Just install them like a regular pot and wire up the moter someday...... ;)

The motor ones are actually easier to use maybe. The manual ones have the balance collar around the shaft and might be difficult to add some knobs to.

Brigar is pricy on the shipping. I got 4 manuals and an electric and it was $10. Didn't seem worth it just to order one or 2 for the same $10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.