Fuzzy on FET matching?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Whatever you decide.

For parallel output devices with .47 to 1 ohm Source resistors,
less then .1 V Vgs variation is needed. At PL we match to .01V,
but that's because we can with no effort.

For input differential and other "signal level" pairs, it's mostly
a question of how much DC offset you want to put up with.

With input diff pairs, a lot of circuits, otherwise optimized and
with unity gain at DC, come down to whatever you want for
output DC offset. I regard 50 mV as perfectly adequate, and
usually trim if the value is greater.

Trimming is done in a half dozen ways, but an easy way is to
adjust the values of resistance coming off the Drains of the
input diff pairs.

The result - match as best you can and trim the rest. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification Nelson. I've been matching to .01V, because it makes sense to me to match as close as possible so that the heat is evenly distributed and so the FET's done individually get too power hungry. Nice to have the grand master himself weigh in on this though :)

-Matthew K. Olson

I thought it would be good to add
GRollins good advice to this old thread on same subject.
I agree with using some form of heatsink while testing power transistors.
And if you read previous posts here,
you will find several others also use heatsinking during matching of power devices.

GRollins said:
Confessions of a parts matcher.

I like the numbers to sit still long enough for my eye to focus on them. Since others will soon be attempting to match these Lovoltech JFETs, I thought I'd share a secret: There's an art to this matching thing.

The trick is in the heatsink.
No heatsink at all leaves the numbers ascending as the temperature rises. You're asking something the size of your pinky fingernail to dissipate about 2W. The temperature climbs rapidly. It doesn't take long before your fingers start warning you that you're holding something hot and you need to put it down Right Now. This is a serious distraction when you're trying to concentrate on reading a bunch of flickering LEDs.

On the other hand, too large a heatsink dissipates heat too well.
You're throwing heat into a black hole. It's better than no heatsink at all, but I've got a better solution.
Get a heatsink that will stabilize at about body temperature with Pd=2W. That way it's comfortable to handle and your body heat won't throw off the readings.

I'll cut to the chase and say that the "just right" heatsink for this job turned out to be a flat piece of scrap 1/8" aluminum about 1 1/2" by 3". The precise dimensions aren't going to be that critical, but I'll measure it if anyone cares to know the actual size. In fact, I almost think it would be better if it were a little smaller. Be that as it may, with the right heatsink the JFETs settle down within about 3 to 5 seconds.

Grey

Nelson,
I find this curious. Granted, you're prone to running things hotter than I am, but I tried running one "open air" and the readings across the resistor didn't stabilize--at least not before the device got way, way too hot to touch. Given that they were climbing, not falling, I didn't want to test the poor thing to destruction. Yes, at this point I've got a bunch of them on hand, but my frugal Scottish ancestry won't let me tear up a perfectly good device just to see if it stabilizes before it turns cherry red.
If I take the very first reading that I can see as the device begins to heat up, I find that it's on the order of 5-10mV higher than I get if I use a heatsink. I'm not comfortable with the variability of the 5-10 part. If it was more consistent then I could see going with it. Given that I can get a pretty stable reading in a couple of seconds with this aluminum plate I'm using, the time difference isn't all that bad. Where I do lose time is in the clamping. That costs me about five or ten seconds. Doesn't sound like much until you've done it a thousand times. (Literally.) Incidentally, I'm using a bulldog clip (like secretaries use to hold reports together) to hold the device to the plate. It's fast and provides consistent pressure.
One thing that occurs to me is that we may be using different meters. I use either a Fluke 8060 or and 8050 to do this sort of thing. This time I'm set up with one of my 8050s. I love Fluke meters, but there are times I wish that their sampling/calculation rate was a little faster. So my question is--what kind of meter are you using for matching?
I agree that the JFETs don't seem to be as sensitive as the IRF MOSFETs. It also helps that we're only doing 2W, as opposed to pushing 20-25W through a MOSFET. In principle, I could test the MOSFETs at some lower power, but I prefer to hit them with something closer to the real conditions they'd see in the circuit, so I toast them.

Grey

Mattyo5 said:
do you need 4 groups of 3 fets for that? you may not get the close matching you are looking for with only a group of 20. just fyi

here's my ebay link, they are groups of 4, but these'll work for ya

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4666&item=3868549813&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

anyway, if you still decide to match them yourself, in order to get them within desired tolerances, definitely use a regulated supply, and you may need 10-20 more devices to get good matched sets, good luck!

-Matthew K. Olson

Hi Mathew

Is a 12V 1,3Ah rechargeable battery (Hobbico or Tower Hobbies) a good choice for source?

For my Aleph P1.7 clone all I need is 2 pairs of 9610 and 4 of 610 so is sufficient a batch of 20 device from each?

Thanks for clarifcation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.