FuzzMeasure for OS X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SCD said:
I have seen Dave at work with is alpha version. Now that the TS parameters are available I am sure better speakers will be designed.

BTW Scott... you BlueBerry iMac is taking shape as we speak. I need to scare up more RAM if we want X on it -- then you can get your own FuzzMeasure :) And come visit here when away from work.

dave

rebojorge said:
So... is it working now??? ... I would gladly be a tester... but sadly I wouldn´t know if something is wrong...

keep up the good work.
:) :) :)

Are you kidding? It's been released since November! ;)

The 1.2 release just came out this past weekend, and I've been killing myself since January to get it up to its current state.

I don't think you'll find an easier test application on any platform.

Thanks for all the kind words in the thread so far...

Cheers,

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rebojorge said:
So... is it working now??? ...

Mostly... there is one major glitch Chris & i are corresponding about as we speak. But i changed to 1.2 (from a beta) & to Tiger pretty much simultaneously so we may have a Tiger problem....

I can say it is REALLY nice to generate T/S and 1.2 seems better at that than the betas....

Tesoers are always welcome, you just need to put miles on the program & give back comments on how it works, how it could work better, and if you notice something weird.

dave

Now if we can Martin Kings work to go on a MAC then things will be real nice. A single platform would be great. I might even be interested in getting a home computer. I suspect Dave has some plans for me already. All though I am not sure I will find the time.
Hmmmmm, I must be sleeping too much again?

Scored good at the auction this last week I got a few nice Jazz albums and a lot of classical for $10.
Euby Blake: great piano player

G4ME said:
USB line in is avalivible, griffen or M Audio i think makes them, not sure.

BTW you made the frong page of Macnn.com with the 1.2 update.

Please -- nobody buy an iMic for measurements. It is *far* from flat.

At the very least, get an M-Audio Transit or Edirol UA-1X for a low-cost device. Move up to the MobilePre if you need premps for a mic.

If you want really good quality audio, grab an M-Audio FireWire 410. I just grabbed the FireWire 1814, and it's pretty sweet for the money.

Cheers,

Chris

Will SuperMegaUltraGroovy be releasing enclosure design software for Mac OS X anytime soon (a la Speaker Workshop)? If so, I could get a Mac Mini and make it my audio computer, performing the functions of loudspeaker measurement and enclosure design.

Addendum: Here's an idea, you should offer 3D graphing of the impulse and frequency response of a driver. I guess you would call this spectral decay. Just plot the level along the X axis, the frequency along the Y axis, and milliseconds of delay along the Z axis. Then set graph coloration to show the well-damped frequencies in blue or bluish-green, and the most underdamped ringing peaks as red, and everything else in between would fall along a continuum of blue-green-yellow-orange-red.

For an example, take a look at http://www.mathworks.com/cmsimages/ml_main_wl_7168.gif
and note the 3-D graph in the center of the screen. This is sort of like what I am talking about.

BAM said:
Will SuperMegaUltraGroovy be releasing enclosure design software for Mac OS X anytime soon (a la Speaker Workshop)? If so, I could get a Mac Mini and make it my audio computer, performing the functions of loudspeaker measurement and enclosure design.

I don't have any plans to do this yet, but my plans may change if I can figure out a nice way to implement it. It's a very niche market (even more than acoustical measurements), and you'd have to come out with a bang in order to make any reasonable sales.

Currently, most enclosure design software packages are no smarter than an Excel spreadsheet (like unibox, which works fine on Excel for the Mac), and I don't simply want to clone that.

If I were to build such a package, it would surely have to change the way people think about box design in order to be worth pursuing. Otherwise, nobody would buy my software because unibox is free, and (mostly) gets the job done.

It has certainly been on my mind, since I'm working on building another set of speakers shortly. If unibox is driving me nuts for some reason (i.e. it just doesn't behave properly, or is too difficult to work with), then I may write some code to help me get the job done. Of course, that's how FuzzMeasure started, but it's almost been a year between the "code to help me get the job done" and actually releasing a full-featured product. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Got another one, which I've been thinking about for a while. In a speaker design program, you could have a "Sliders..." feature in the data entry window that lets you slide a slider and see the results in real-time on the response graph. You would have sliders for pretty much every numerical entry. There would be a button at the end of the field that pops up a dialog box with a slider in it. You can edit the start and end values of the slider and you can also enter a numerical value and the click on Set Slider to set the slider to that number. There are also Accept and Cancel buttons in that particular dialog. The Accept button would be used to take the value from the slider and enter it as the permanent value in the dialog box. Also, the 3D graphing feature could be used to add group delay calculations into the frequency response plot. Then you could have a plot that would show not only the frequency response of the system, but also the decay spectrum. This would go way beyond other programs that do this sort of thing. If you can implement transmission line calculations and multi-segment front-loaded and back-loaded horn calculations, as well as making the front-loaded horn calcuations suitable for simulating high frequency horns, that would definitely make it worth $150/copy or something like that. Possibly more. You could make it Plug-In based, where additional enclosure types above the five standard enclosures could be purchased and added to the program.
I'd want to see these different enclosure types modeled by a program such as this:

FuzzModel Standard Enclosures Package: ($129.99)
Sealed Box
Vented Box
Passive Radiator Box
4th-Order Bandpass
Crossover Design Modeler
Textbook Parallel Crossover Calculator
Textbook L-Pad Network Calculator
Textbook Notch Filter Calculator
3D Grapher

FuzzModel with Standard Enclosures Package is available as a bundle with FuzzMeasure for $249.99

FuzzModel Plug-ins (available individually or as a package for $289.99)
Transmission Line Box (based on MKJ's TL Sections algorithms) - $24.99
Double-Ended Wave Pipe (Wave Cannon) - $24.99
6th-Order Bandpass - $24.99
Dual-Chamber Vented Box - $24.99
Front Loaded LF Horn - $44.99
Rear Loaded LF Horn - $44.99
Front-Loaded HF Horn - $79.99
Textbook Series Crossover Calculator - $24.99
Textbook Elliptical Filter Calculator - $44.99
Baffle Step Compensation Calculator - $24.99
Contour Network Calculator - $24.99

Users would have a greater incentive to buy your program for its exceptional user interface, accuracy, and modeling capabilities, as well as the plug-in interface that allows future expansion. This could even include such things as Decoupled Antiresonant Line, Augmented Passive Radiator, Horn-Loaded Port, etc. And the plugins would only be compatible with your software, so people would have to shell out for the basic package plus whatever plug-ins they want. Also the ability to import FuzzMeasure Export Files (FZMX file type) would be essential. FRD and ZMA files should also be handled. Also, if you could give us a SPICE-like interface for crossover circuit modeling, that would be tops. In fact, if you produced a program such as I have detailed, you may have speaker companies buying your software!

If what is already offered is combined with an enclosure simulator (along with the wackier designs like OB or TL), passive crossover + baffle step + attenuation calculator and with distortion measurements i would actually buy an ibook for my next pc!

I know its not 'unique' in the sense that there are programs out there which do some or all of them, but putting it all into one package on a mac platform would be very welcome i think! The main gripe i have with wintel programs is that they are typically hard to use. if you could do everything those programs can in a slick and easy to use interface you could be on to a real winner here!

Regards

blackreplica said:
If what is already offered is combined with an enclosure simulator (along with the wackier designs like OB or TL), passive crossover + baffle step + attenuation calculator and with distortion measurements i would actually buy an ibook for my next pc!

I know its not 'unique' in the sense that there are programs out there which do some or all of them, but putting it all into one package on a mac platform would be very welcome i think! The main gripe i have with wintel programs is that they are typically hard to use. if you could do everything those programs can in a slick and easy to use interface you could be on to a real winner here!

Regards

If you haven't already, check out the handful of screenshots and movies up at the FuzzMeasure site. You'll see I've totally taken the "hard" aspect out of measuring. I've also managed to make the process more intuitive and interactive for the user by updating everything as values are changed.

I figure that FuzzMeasure alone should have sold you guys on Macs by now... ;)

Cheers,

Chris

If not Macs in general, at least the Mac Mini with a USB audio input adapter.

The HF horn simulator would have separate settings for Constant Directivity, Tractrix, Exponential, and Conical expansion profiles, as well as Custom Profiles where users can model a rectangular, round, or elliptical horn with custom expansion profiles in the vertical and horizontal planes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.