Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, it is important to buy the oxygen free and broken in cables... they have the rough edges of the copper atoms worn down so the electrons stick less to begin with...
Also note that the shortest path is not always the best. It's often worthwhile to literally go the extra mile and route your cables along ley lines. You'll love the contribution that earth energies make.

Reactions: 1 user
An old favourite, and I apologise for lack of citation, but I heard of an overpriced LM3886-based amp that skimped on reservoir caps, claiming that storing a smaller amount of charge meant the energy was 'fresher' when it arrived at the speaker terminals.
So you don't think locked in stale electrons like those in ac coupled gear could be a problem?

The switch doesn't affect that.
Maybe you mean it shouldn't affect that, or wouldn't be expected to affect that?

This conversation reminds me of something from another thread. Bonsai was talking about corporate 360 reviews, something he had experience with where he worked.
For anyone not familiar with 360 reviews, some info: https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-a-360-review-1917541

Anyway, Bonsai posted a graphic showing his evaluation of certain personality traits of a few forum members.
1666362854743.png

Sometime after that I was talking to John Curl, and he seemed a little miffed that I was depicted as being a little more rational than him. Told him that's probably just because you said Bybees can affect sound. John agreed. He said his reputation was badly damaged for telling the truth. To wit: Bybees don't do what the advertising fluff claims, but they can affect the sound.

Some people tried to measure Bybees and found no evidence of HD and negligible resistance. They therefore confidently concluded Bybees can't do anything. Its impossible. That evil JC is lying. He was excoriated and ridiculed in threads like this.

But he was telling the truth. The engineers didn't think to measure Bybees in correctly. It never occurred them that they might missing something. On the contrary, they were so wedded to their mistaken conclusion that refused to consider they might be wrong.

Besides JC, other people have been unfairly maligned in threads like this. Some have left the forum.

So, if joking about electrons is fun, great. Its healthy fun and not hurting anyone.

And once again just as a reminder, I am not advocating for or against audio network switches. No opinion on them. Only stated a policy of deferral of judgement. Not my primary purpose, but it is in part a method to counter confirmation bias and or overconfidence bias (two of the most ubiquitous cognitive biases).

Regarding confidence and overconfidence, maybe good to bear in mind that confidence is a feeling, like an emotion, nothing more. Feeling strongly confident about something is not the same a being right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe you mean it shouldn't affect that, or wouldn't be expected to affect that?

This conversation reminds me of something from another thread. Bonsai was talking about corporate 360 reviews, something he had experience with where he worked.
For anyone not familiar with 360 reviews, some info: https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-a-360-review-1917541

Anyway, Bonsai posted a graphic showing his evaluation of certain personality traits of a few forum members.
View attachment 1101672

Sometime after that I was talking to John Curl, and he seemed a little miffed that I was depicted as being a little more rational than him. Told him that's probably just because you said Bybees can affect sound. John agreed. He said his reputation was badly damaged for telling the truth. To wit: Bybees don't do what the advertising fluff claims, but they can affect the sound.

Some people tried to measure Bybees and found no evidence of HD and negligible resistance. They therefore confidently concluded Bybees can't do anything. Its impossible. That evil JC is lying. He was excoriated and ridiculed in threads like this.

But he was telling the truth. The engineers didn't think to measure Bybees in correctly. It never occurred them that they might missing something. On the contrary, they were so wedded to their mistaken conclusion that refused to consider they might be wrong.

Besides JC, other people have been unfairly maligned in threads like this. Some have left the forum.

So, if joking about electrons is fun, great. Its healthy fun and not hurting anyone.

And once again just as a reminder, I am not advocating for or against audio network switches. No opinion on them. Only stated a policy of deferral of judgement. Not my primary purpose, but it is in part a method to counter confirmation bias and or overconfidence bias (to of the most ubiquitous cognitive biases).

Maybe good to bear in mind that confidence is a feeling, like an emotion, nothing more. Feeling strongly confident about something is not the same a being right.
All true of course, but the thread is called "funniest snake oil theories" so if you're not up for having a laugh why get involved?

View attachment 1101672

And once again just as a reminder, I am not advocating for or against audio network switches. No opinion on them. Only stated a policy of deferral of judgement. Not my primary purpose, but it is in part a method to counter confirmation bias and or overconfidence bias (two of the most ubiquitous cognitive biases).

Regarding confidence and overconfidence, maybe good to bear in mind that confidence is a feeling, like an emotion, nothing more. Feeling strongly confident about something is not the same a being right.
My position should be close to Scott Wurzer and Bob Cordell :D

Why keep pushing this audiophile nonsense? Ethernet switches or routers use transformers to enable galvanic isolation between devices as required by IEEE 802.3. Noise from other devices does not enter the ethernet dac through ethernet switches provided that suitable ethernet cables are used (UTP).

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Bybees don't do what the advertising fluff claims, but they can affect the sound.

Can, could, probably, maybe, possibly, eventually, …. Right. :rolleyes:

John Curl was not alone with that opinion. As bybee inventor conveniently claimed that they change something that no instrument known to humanity can measure, all evaluations were subjective (ahem, no DBT involved).

May I remind you that a single glass of fine wine, beer or whiskey, improves sound of any audio system, orders of magnitude above any snake oil product.
So much about our perception reliability.

:cheers: to all
Listening to fine music and enjoying an exquisite stout beer.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.