Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Also IIRC you described hearing for yourself a few reproduction systems where it didn't sound like the music was coming from the speakers. Again IIRC, you said you don't know how they do it. If my recollection is correct, then maybe you were sure something like that was 'impossible' until you heard it yourself.
Lot of funny assumptions. Not experiencing something is not equal to believing something is not possible.
BTW, I’m confused as why is mandatory property of a good audio system (absolute disappearance of loudspeakers) discussed as something special?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Went over the dCS forum to see what they had to say about switches: https://dcs.community/t/ethernet-switch/3450/3

It appears that a number of people report audible effects from switches that they don't think has anything to do with the ones and zeros getting though. They speculate about some kind of noise problem that affects imaging, etc. IME clock jitter can have that effect.
exactly they speculate to justify spending more on a pointless device than my last car cost me.
Also, Iancanada makes some FIFO buffers for diy'ers. Measurements by a former member were posted along with a belief expressed that isolation between the buffer input and output, and or across the digital input galvanic isolation barrier, were not 100% effective. In response to that Ian designed a secondary reclocker board to remove any remaining jitter before sending the digital audio to the dac. Reports from users indicate the additional clean reclocking after the FIFO buffer improves aspects of SQ such as imaging. Impossible? I don't think so.
Not ethernet. That's like saying lighter wheels make my road bike go faster so lighter cables will make my speakers sound faster.
Changing the subject for a moment, what if the Nordost switches do change reproduced audio for the better, as users claim? Impossible? Not really. What if Nordost really are villains and crooks? What if they doctor the audio stream to make it slightly louder, and or more dynamic (slow attack, fast release dynamics compression)? Impossible?
Impossible for a layer 2 device. They work at the MAC level as I said.
Still not willing to grant its impossible for there to be audible changes in the sound with or without a particular switch.
Impossible for the packets to make a difference.
Bill, IIRC you have described yourself as a space junkie. Also IIRC you described hearing for yourself a few reproduction systems where it didn't sound like the music was coming from the speakers. Again IIRC, you said you don't know how they do it. If my recollection is correct, then maybe you were sure something like that was 'impossible' until you heard it yourself. All of a sudden its real, even if you don't know how it works.
Nope never said that. I said the Wilson demo was amazingly good, till I realised Dave Wilson was telling us what to hear.
Within what tolerance? fs, ps, ns, us?

How much is too much jitter in a dac clock for optimal imaging of DSD content?
The switch doesn't affect that. It's not SPDIF.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
While this started out somewhat entertaining, and at least on topic for the thread, it really is getting old... Markw4, you are very much flogging a dead horse on this topic and have been for quite a number of posts (as well those of an opposing viewpoint that just keep :headbash: )

Can we not get back on target and find another silly example to ridicule?

Hal

Reactions: 1 users
"Audio systems can be properly judged only by (a) trained ear." What nonsense, "human perception system(s) are rife with always of getting it wrong." Neil DeGrasse Tyson. ."...we have high opinions of our human biology when in fact we should not."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Joined 2019
Paid Member
"Audio systems can be properly judged only by (a) trained ear." What nonsense, "human perception system(s) are rife with always of getting it wrong." Neil DeGrasse Tyson. ."...we have high opinions of our human biology when in fact we should not."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...
Sarcasm is lost on you? :ROFLMAO:

BTW, post #15,560

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Actually the original point I made was the first time I heard a soundstage where the main source 'appeared' to be outside the room and about 40ft away.
If all of the stage ‘content’ was presented that far, then it was really something special. My stage is usually 3 -5 m behind loudspeakers (outside the room). Some recordings have some content that is clearly heard as being more than 10 - 15 m behind.

not the case here.

I agree with the rest of what you said. I personally find many if not all non audio-oriented EEs very close minded when it comes to audio. I don't even get into discussions with them because of that. one man can only take "I'll show you the schematic of the perfect amp" so many times.
IMO it's pretty obvious why there aren't many good audio engineers: they would have to be good EEs with an open mind and at the same time critical enough of voodoo. I don't believe these conditions are often met at the same time.
it's even better to distance oneself from them. even hate them secretly. so A shuts down his mind. or reverses whatever B says. whatever B says, the opposite must be true.

"We've all bought and enjoyed (those) books called optical illusions...they should call them brain failures...all it takes is a few sketches cleverly done (and) your brain can't figure it out."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If all of the stage ‘content’ was presented that far, then it was really something special.
It was a film sountrack recording done with the microphone at the door of a cathedral with the choir at the other end. No one records things like that normally. And we were primed to expect this which probably doubled the stage depth :)

My stage is usually 3 -5 m behind loudspeakers (outside the room). Some recordings have some content that is clearly heard as being more than 10 - 15 m behind.
In the right room my mini apogees will do that. Not sadly in my current one...

Status
Not open for further replies.