Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
It reminds me that Lord Kelvin, was one of the worst 'know it alls' in history. To be sure, he had a lot of learning and he moved science forward for a time, BUT it is also known that he tried to discourage Darwin, dismissed trying for heavier than air aircraft, X-rays (perhaps only in the beginning) etc. when within 10 years of his criticisms, new evidence or experience proved him wrong. They used to say back in his day that science will only move forward after the deaths of those in power for scientific thought. Still happens today.

Well given the advances he made in his branch of science he did know a hell of a lot! I can't see ANY evidence that he slowed down the rate of progress of science. After all Einstein published his special relativity paper whilst he was still alive.

And why single out one man. Plenty of scientists have got it wrong, and most have accepted that. Fred Hoyle died refusing to accept the 'big bang' and arguing the fact with all.

Personally I like the quote from Rutherford on splitting atoms "and anyone who looked for a source of power in the transformation of the atoms was talking moonshine" :)

Well Dan and Soongsc, I thought that I might add my opinion to the mix on your side. I believe that open listening is one of the most important ways to detect audio differences. It is what we are seeking, is it not? Now, what has surprised me in the past, is that AC cable differences can make an audible difference, and sometimes not the way or in the direction that I would initially expect it to change (if any). In any case, we hear what we hear, and that is reality as I know it.
I would be surprised if power cables made no difference, considering the range of conductor types and dielectric types and geometries employed.....and the loads.
Fully agreed on your last statement.

Dan, I have spoken to you off line and I know that you are on a quest with your new findings, that are similar to what Jack Bybee has found. Keep up the effort, some day you might be praised for it.
Thank you John, I appreciate your words of encouragement and yes it is an interesting quest.
As I have stated previously this quest is not for my benefit so much as for the benefit of all.
I am already praised by trialist limited user group, with pressure and demand to bring this to market....and that's just in the audio world, there are a bunch of further applications.

I think that your example recently of a college PhD fits a number of people here. They can't think their way outside of a textbook, and are unwilling to trust their ears in any case.
I actually appreciate your bringing up cable differences, because I have gotten lazy and have not tried testing them for years. I wonder what the OPPO that I have would be best with?
Those moulded cheap extension cords you can get from the major hardware stores are quite fine enough...chop one end and fit an IEC etc.
Be certain to choose the white cables, avoid the black or grey ones.
If you can find white IEC plugs, give them a try also.

Dan.

gabdx said:
Possibly the type of copper makes a difference: slow/fast drawn, cold drawn, hot drawn etc. at the molecular level.
This would make a small difference in resistance, which would have a negligible effect on sound if the cable is appropriate to the task.

Max Headroom said:
Is not quantum mechanics the root of the observations and effects as described by the relevant equations.
I don't understand the point you are making. People who can do the relevant maths can begin to understand QM. Everyone else cannot even get that far, but that will not necessarily stop them from using words they do not understand.

Why would the last two metres of AC supply cable inductance or capacitance matter, and what constitutes 'not too high, not too low' inductance and capacitance for the job at hand, ie supplying say an amplifier with 200W total output, ditto for line level gear drawing say 30W load.
AC power is generally unbalanced, so what would be the optimal cable configuration and why ?.
I am not convinced that the last 2m do matter, unless the PSU design is poor. As far as I am aware, people using electronics for defence, instrumentation, communication, healthcare etc. regard mains cables as a purely 'utility' function to get power safely to the item. Maybe the Hawaiian scare was caused by a radar system with the wrong mains cable?

john curl said:
They can't think their way outside of a textbook, and are unwilling to trust their ears in any case.
At least people allegedly trapped in textbooks have some facts to think with. Others do not even have that so they just have to play with their own fanciful imaginations. Trusting your own ears is extremely foolish, given how much is known about how easily fooled our senses are. Trotting out the old tired 'innovators were always ignored' story (allegedly Lord Kelvin, this time) does not help. The big difference between Lord Kelvin and the 'true believers' is that he actually contributed to science from a position of knowledge, while they just fantasise about it from a position of ignorance.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Other than a cable and a capacitor are completely different constructions and applictions.

Whitlock has this covered. Different coloured wires have different capacitance to sheath because of differencies in the dies.

There are places where dielectrics matter. Attached is a pic of the sort of cable that runs up your local phone mast. In this application loss is critical. But not until the 1-2GHz range.

Attachments

• heliax.jpg
    heliax.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 217
Capacitor dielectric nonlinearity is small for most dielectrics, and most capacitors in audio circuits are used in such a way that any dielectric nonlinearity will have little effect on the audio signal. The exception is caps used in filters, especially speaker crossovers.

Cable insulation dielectric nonlinearity is an even smaller issue, as most audio cables are fed from a low impedance source. Only if you have poorly engineered 'high end' sources could cable insulation even begin to be a problem - and that would simply confirm what I often say: that cable fussiness is a sign of poor electronic design.

You really should learn to do the maths and estimate the likely size of an effect before firing off a lump of FUD.

Last edited:
We all accept that capacitor dielectric types cause distortions...

Do we? Really? Well, dielectric properties of capacitors may have an impact in filter circuitries in the region of the roll off frequency and beyond, i.e. when a certain potential can be measured across the cap, or if some significant current flows through it. Otherwise, there's no serious evidence for this claim.

Best regards!

Lord Kelvin:

"To measure is to know."

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

"In physical science the first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be." [PLA, vol. 1, "Electrical Units of Measurement", 1883-05-03]

Capacitors have voltage and temperature coefficients. Some exhibit piezoelectric effects, and then there is dielectric absorption. In the case of filters, we don't want filter frequency response to be significantly affected by capacitor nonlinearity. However, filters are not the only places where capacitor nonlinearlity can be problematic.

That being said, uninformed theories about why AC cords may affect sound quality are not helpful. If in a particular case an AC cord does affect sound quality, then the cause should be investigated and fixed. Whatever it turns out to be will virtually certainly be explainable in normal engineering terms and not require invocation of quantum mechanical level explanations.

Capacitor dielectric nonlinearity is small for most dielectrics, and most capacitors in audio circuits are used in such a way that any dielectric nonlinearity will have little effect on the audio signal. The exception is caps used in filters, especially speaker crossovers.
Agreed.

Cable insulation dielectric nonlinearity is an even smaller issue, as most audio cables are fed from a low impedance source.
Sure.
Only if you have poorly engineered 'high end' sources could cable insulation even begin to be a problem - and that would simply confirm what I often say: that cable fussiness is a sign of poor electronic design.
I would venture bad electrical design first....allowing PSU resonances and line borne noise through which will cause avoidable noise/misbehaviour in downstream regulation and amplifier stages.
In the 'ideal' world none of this would be any issue, but we all deal with 'real world' gear in 'real world' environments.
This means consumer mid-fi through consumer hi-fi......all of this gear will let you know when there is a plugpack/SMPS plugged into the same AC circuit/power strip and this level of gear IME can also be quite strongly dependent on the IEC supply cable used...eg my Onkyo receiver demonstrates this clearly.
I have related previously the outcome of swapping out 10A rated 5m extension cables supplying a well known tube guitar amp.
Why should that last 5 metres of cable make any difference...I dunno the mathematically provable causes, but I do know that the sonic changes wrought were unequivocal.
You really should learn to do the maths and estimate the likely size of an effect before firing off a lump of FUD.
The two cables were essentially identical in dimensions and ratings, the differences were in insulation materials and centuries of manufacture.
One extension cable caused agreeable and pleasant guitar sound, the other caused harsh, obnoxious and 'toxic' sound.
The conventional RLC measurement differences might be minor, but in this case the system final output sound differences most certainly were not.
There is a whole lot of hoo haa/snake oil claims/explanations associated with so called 'hi-end' aftermarket cables.
Regardless of any of this nonsense including the 'taking the mickey' pricings, the fact remains that the last cable supplying energy to the system can cause audible differences.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.