Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the way he told the story was funny. But it really tells that if there is a difference, and get down to find the cause, there usually is a good reason.

Quite simple to do, determine the ER for each of the legs dialectics use the formula for wave propagation and get the speed of the signal... Ah wait though its not high speed so the line is a lossless transmission line so the LC (lumped) formula is used and the dialectic can be ignored.

On the pigment front. I have known of issues with pigments, but that was outgassing, which in space is a problem. Even if the pigments did change things, what would they change? Capacitance is all they can affect. In an unbalanced system with audiofile components a few pF is unlikely to make any odds unless really badly broken. In a balanced system it could increase DM pickup, but that's why starquad exists.

Finding a properly balanced audiophile amplifier is more of a concern. Many completely miss the point.

No solder resist in space I'm afraid.

Quite simple to do, determine the ER for each of the legs dialectics use the formula for wave propagation and get the speed of the signal... Ah wait though its not high speed so the line is a lossless transmission line so the LC (lumped) formula is used and the dialectic can be ignored.

I would measure impedance of each leg. But you could also ask Bill himself about this occurrence. I believe the audio or video file is in the AES web site.

Actually Max had the rock star in the dressing room notice...;)
The rock star is already using the filters on his guitar rig....recent FB very appreciative comment on his guitar sound.
Two DJ's have approached me about treating their systems, one is a mobile DJ and the other runs an in house installed rig.
The mobile DJ is Jamaican and plays Reggae to older audiences...music that sorely needs 'cleaning up'.
The other system is in a night club....it will be interesting to see the effects on the Friday night 'drugged up' youngster crowd.

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would measure impedance of each leg. But you could also ask Bill himself about this occurrence. I believe the audio or video file is in the AES web site.

I already did. IIRO 5pF per m difference between the two colours. Minor effect on coupling so giving the sort of different in common mode pickup that only matters if you are running 100m cable runs, in which case you would probably use starquad which gets around it. For domestic audio a total non-issue and can be completely modelled. No chanelling of foo required.

Does not make sense, once you have a fixed voltage ratio, the winding ratio should be fixed regardless where you source a transformer.

That's exactly what I said.

DCR and inductance are an issue, but normal DIYers do not have this info. Lots of transformers can be sourced from different suppliers. Even speaker drivers specs are “subject to change without notice”.
That's why I said "ask the maker". Or just wind your own transformers or have them wound to spec. It's not that big of a deal.

I already did. IIRO 5pF per m difference between the two colours. Minor effect on coupling so giving the sort of different in common mode pickup that only matters if you are running 100m cable runs, in which case you would probably use starquad which gets around it. For domestic audio a total non-issue and can be completely modelled. No chanelling of foo required.

I mean impedance over the audio range, some curves that show how they differ in the audio range.
A factory here did a process on an existing cable claiming it improved sound. I did a comparison measurement. It did change the impedance, but did not meet my requirement. That particular test was done one 65cm of cable.
I cannot comment on the way you test it because I don’t test that way.

Max Headroom said:
So just what is 'audiophile design' compared to standard PSU design ?.
For example, reservoir caps which are much too big or much too small. Peculiar grounding arrangements. Silver-plated teflon-insulated wires which are not twisted to minimise charging loop area.

So which of these 'audiophile' cables in particular have 'rather thin conductors.'....makes and models please, proofs instead of generalisations and hand waving.
I don't remember. Two reasons: I have a poor memory, why remember dross? I do remember someone suggesting at the time that the reason this mains cable might sound different with some equipment is that the raised impedance might lengthen charging pulses which might reduce the effect of poor grounding in the PSU.

Max Headroom said:
I know that I haven't bothered to give measurements, but please keep in mind that when I relate experiences of subjective differences it is in the context of more than one listener present.
Herd effect can be strong, even for those who are aware of this. It is stronger for those who are not aware of it.

I find that this 'extra' or 'signature' is dependent on the type and order of materials used, and most interestingly systems can be 'cleansed' at will, and also that new 'signatures' can be 'inserted' at will.
Sure, these observations are not explained by 'standard' theory, the explanations must lie in the, dare I say it, 'quantum' world.
Ah, the Q word! Said, I presume, by someone who would not recognise a Hamiltonian if one dropped on his foot?

billshurv said:
That is a system level question as to how the chain will behave with a few extra pF in one leg. You have to go some to make something bad enough to be messed up by that.
One of the things which surprised me when I first arrived on this forum a few years ago was how often a highly-regarded audio item had basic design errors in its circuits. Then I was further surprised to discover how many of the people on here talking nonsense were commercially involved with 'high-end' audio. Now I am older and wiser, so no longer surprised. Beyond a certain price level, paying more money increases the risk of poor design but in compensation for this you get much better stories.

I had BATinterference the other day but countless hours of developing special treatment goo placed along the power cord and lightbulbs with different spectrum peaks helped to somehow manage the ill efects on soundstage.

Attachments

• SDS00037.jpg
    SDS00037.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.