Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get out of the wrong side of bed after dosing on heavy metals ?. ;)
Gerhard, I understand theory and practical perfectly well and have done so for a very long time.
I have also serviced and auditioned I don't know how many items of gear....when you have good bench monitoring setup every source item's or amplifier's differences are plainly revealed.

I know that I haven't bothered to give measurements, but please keep in mind that when I relate experiences of subjective differences it is in the context of more than one listener present.

Gerhard, I'm not the only one saying 'trust your ears', and frankly this is where reproduced sound comes to fruition....typical measurements do not reveal all as we should all know by now.

Gerhard, try, just try pulling back that bit when listening to audio systems, listen into the noise, note how the sound affects/effects you deep down,....ie listen with your subjective ears, mind and body, not just your 'analytical' ears.
I'm saying that even when everything is 'electrically' correct and measured performance 'correct', there is still an 'extra' or 'signature' in the nature of the reproduced sound that makes the difference between 'so so' sound, 'good' sound and 'to die for' sound.

I find that this 'extra' or 'signature' is dependent on the type and order of materials used, and most interestingly systems can be 'cleansed' at will, and also that new 'signatures' can be 'inserted' at will.
Sure, these observations are not explained by 'standard' theory, the explanations must lie in the, dare I say it, 'quantum' world.
If I were to demonstrate these findings to you, I am sure you would be intrigued.

Dan.

.One case in point, my neighbour and I were experimenting with his Fender tube guitar combo amp.
The amp was powered from an old 'grey' 5m 10A extension lead.
I swapped the cable for a modern 'white' 5m 10A extension lead and the sound changed quite markedly such that my neighbour exclaimed..."I had no idea that a power cable could make that much difference !".
One cable sounded quite pleasant, the other downright 'nasty'.

If wifeys didn’t notice anything, while slicing onions in the kitchen, then your experiment results are statistically irrelevant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
We are nothing but cockroaches typing on our little keyboards from behind the walls of some giant aliens house in the suburban street of the universe.

To think that we can hear quantum fluctuations is like saying we can outrun a spray of Mortein or check into the Roach Motel and check out the next day.

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Attachments

• 53-diyaudio.jpg
    53-diyaudio.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Obviously you have not heard Bill Whitlock’s “different color cable sounding different....” story.
I brought that up TTBOMR recently and was corrected that his statements were to do with tolerance of wire dies causing differing dimensions and consequent capacitance to screen for each of the signal wires in balanced cables.
I'm sayin' that different pigments in insulators will influence dielectric behaviours and further unbalance 'balanced' cables.

Dan.

I brought that up TTBOMR recently and was corrected that his statements were to do with tolerance of wire dies causing differing dimensions and consequent capacitance to screen for each of the signal wires in balanced cables.
I'm sayin' that different pigments in insulators will influence dielectric behaviours and further unbalance 'balanced' cables.

Dan.
I thought the way he told the story was funny. But it really tells that if there is a difference, and get down to find the cause, there usually is a good reason.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The first thing that I thought was that the amplifier has one of those resistive cords which are used to cut down on the voltage and is basically just a bleeder resistor in a long cable which gets warm but not warm enough to cause a fire (in most cases). In one of those series-stringed sets.

And when he replaced the cable the B+ and filament voltage rose causing an audible change in the sound reproduced.

The first thing that I thought was that the amplifier has one of those resistive cords which are used to cut down on the voltage and is basically just a bleeder resistor in a long cable which gets warm but not warm enough to cause a fire (in most cases). In one of those series-stringed sets.
That happens oftem with the vacuum-cleaner.
It also happens often that the cable is stretched too much and the inevitable faulty connection inside the plug calls for a substitution of the last cm's :p

Joined 2014
Paid Member
On the pigment front. I have known of issues with pigments, but that was outgassing, which in space is a problem. Even if the pigments did change things, what would they change? Capacitance is all they can affect. In an unbalanced system with audiofile components a few pF is unlikely to make any odds unless really badly broken. In a balanced system it could increase DM pickup, but that's why starquad exists.

Finding a properly balanced audiophile amplifier is more of a concern. Many completely miss the point.

I would be happy if Dan or somebody could show me and let me listen at the same time they listen.
That would be some good honest fun, I look forward to it.
No opportunity for a demonstration has arisen.Dan, when would you like to do that? You coming to the states soon?
Distance gets in the way, I would be perfectly pleased to demo what I am up to if I were in the 'States", alas no trip planned for the foreseeable future.
You coming to Aus ?....the beer is good and the women are friendly. ;).
It might be some time yet, but when it is time I will gladly send you copies of my filters, you are already on my list.

Dan.

Dan.

LOL priceless any proof what so ever regarding this gem:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.