Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I thought you were just a DIYer, but your one of the snake oil salesman. Your opinions (which is all you give, no facts ) mean less than nothing. You may not even believe the BS you spout to sell your shiet. Take your snake oil some where else.

Giving facts in a lounge? You must be drunk [emoji43] . In other threads I have probably posted more data than most in those threads...here we talk the subject.

More the second of those than you appear to think. We "hear" with our eyes, nose, memory, expectations, beliefs, general mood, and lots of other things. Brains didn't evolve with much need for senses or perceptions to be isolated from each other.

Perhaps, by extension, we each haven't really experienced anything outside our brains. Our senses both feed and filter raw stimuli to our minds, which then construct a reality we collectively (mostly) agree on. I wonder if we truly all see or hear the same things, if presented with the same raw data to process. My thought is, we'd all interpolate it, to suit expectations.
Which is another way of saying the observer affects the experiment, by observing,I suppose.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I don't believe for one minute that the human mind is capable of perceiving the passage of time. If you stare at a watch it has no meaning whatsoever other than the fact that you can remember specific points in time as occuring at that time interval, but our mind doesn't have any true understanding of time it simply uses a reading of a clockface and remembers that reading, it doesn't remember the exact time which it occured. It has no frame of reference other than things which occured at around the same time or several hours before, it is simply then adding or subtracting from a period of time which has occured in the past and that it remembers.

For example if I ate lunch at noon 12:00 and then sat down to listen to some music at 5:00PM my mind would remember it as being 5 hours in front of when I sat down at lunch. Now if I were to listen to an album with 12 tracks and it took an hour to listen to this entire album I couldn't tell you exactly at what point in time did the cymbals strike on track 5.

The problem then becomes with audio is that I have no recollection of when I listened to track 5 and when the cymbals struck. So the passage of is relative to each and every human being out there, it varies on a massive scale, some people might answer that it occured at say 5:30PM, that is when the cymbals struck on track 5. But everybody would be completely and entirely wrong. Because the human mind has no recollection of that fine of a detail in the passage of time.

So why do we have our panties tied in a knot over wow specifications? Because our passage of time is two staged, we can perceive or "emulate" things which occur instantaneously because we have a memory storage system called short term memory which allows us to remember things which have occured just a few seconds or a few milliseconds in the past and we can use that memory system of our brains to understand that there have been changes or differences in the passage of time.

However has anyone actually measured the response time and accuracy of that memory system in our brains? Has anyone here ever taken or tried a drug which can alter our perception of time? no and yes. When we are on a drug we do have the perception of time altered. And because of this we do have a recollection of how that part of our brains is perceiving the passage of time. We do know when it is malfunctioning.

So how do we know for sure that the passage of time should be at 1 second per second? Because we perceive 1 second as passing in 1000 ms, we use measurements of time by using a computer to count the fluctuations in a wave being created by a crystal oscillator. We then use those mathematical measurements to predict when our DACs and digital audio circuits should produce an electrical charge which then creates an electrical current and cymbal crash at exactly 5:30 PM when playing back track 5.

However what happens if the passage of time in our region of space is changed? Will the clock in our DACs and digital audio circuits change aswell with the change in the passage of time in space-time or will they slow down or speed up?

I guess what I'm trying to get to here is weather or not electrical circuits follow the same patterns of change in time in our brains.

If our brains are electrochemical devices then the passage of time in our region of space could very well slow down or speed up.

So if I were to alter the way a crystal works and oscillates with a strong magnetic field inside of a digital audio circuit so that a cymbal crash which supposed to occur at 5:30.00PM instead it occurs at 5:30.01 PM (1 second slower), by slowing down the crystal oscillator I could create a digital audio circuit which is slowing down the perception of time.

I would not be able to understand or perceive that a change has occured. Assuming I had never heard the sound track before I would assume that the soundtrack is being played back accurately. However according to all understanding of a digital audio circuit the crystal oscillator is malfunctioning.

The same thing occurs when you change out the crystal of a crystal controlled watch, the perception of time for the watch changes because the only understanding that the digital circuits of a watch can create for itself is the oscillation and variation in the voltage coming from a crystal oscillator inside of the watch.

So assuming that this is true, when a change occurs in a completely analog audio circuit, from beginning to end, from microphone to speaker. All of the changes occur at different times because we are incorrectly producing the changes in the entire audio system chain from beginning to end. However according to the laws of physics those changes are occurring accurately because we are grounded in the basis of physics, we perceive changes in time according to the laws of Einstein's Theory of Relativity. So if we were to compare a live recording that we listen to through soundwaves in the air, vibrating particles of dust and air molecules versus one we listen to through an analog microphone chain both things would be occuring at the same time, to us, because our perception of time has altered or changed according to the same time that the cymbals crashed. So any alteration in time at the stage would to us be perceived accurately because the same changes occurred in both the soundwaves that are being sent across the room and the electrical impulses in the analog audio circuit which are being amplified and then carried to our ears and reproduced in the loudspeakers in our headphones.

So lets for example create a scenario with which this can be tested, lets say for example we have two solar systems, Solar system A and Solar System B, and we have two audio systems, one audio system is completely analog and consists of a simple microphone, a preamp, an amplifier and an audio loudspeaker system. and the other one is a completely digital audio system from beginning to end, in this digital audio system there is a crystal oscillator in the microphone which also has an ADC and in the speaker system in Solar system B there is another crystal oscillator which also has a DAC. Both systems have really really long cords. Like super long. Which reach from Solar System A and the first planet to Solar System B and the second planet.

ok, now lets place the microphone of both analog and digital audio systems on a planet in solar system A. And we place the loudspeakers on a planet existing in Solar system B.

Ok, now lets introduce a black hole into Solar System A, and Solar System B gets no such black hole. The black hole is located just outside Solar System A and produces an alteration in time on the planet located in Solar System A of 1 second. Time slows down for 1 second for Solar System A and the planet located within.

So what is happening here is that the band which is playing on the planet located in Solar System A is faithfully reproducing the music as they and the audience and the microphones perceive it. Time slows down for 1 second but according to the people on the planet at the concert on this planet there has been no slow down at all in the passage of time because to them time has slowed down relative to them, they perceive no such alteration.

However on Solar System B the cymbals crash at 5:30.01 and not at 5:30.00, which is 1 second slower. But what audio chain faithfully reproduces this change from the beginning in the audio chain to the end? Microphone to speaker? The analog one. The analog one correctly produces a delay of 1 second. It is being accurate because it is perceiving the alteration in time that a black hole has created on the planet in Solar System A.

What one do you think will correctly reproduce and transfer the changes or alterations in time? Will it be the analog audio system or will it be the digital audio system which uses a crystal oscillator inside of a digital audio circuit located inside of the microphone?

The answer may surprise you.

You would think that at first any alterations in a digital audio circuit will pass onto the receiver, remembering that the digital audio circuit is completely digital from beginning to end, microphone to speaker, but there are an ADC and a DAC, both sides have crystal oscillators and one oscillator is running slow by 1 second, OH NO! So a single bit being transferred electronically from one solar system, Solar System A, to Solar System B, would arrive late. And it would be considered garbage because the crystal oscillator located on Solar System B expects the digital bit to arrive early. So an error occurs and the digital audio for that second is discarded as garbage.

However, in the Analog system EVEN THOUGH that charge of electricity would occur late but it would still be amplified and reproduced by the speaker system. It would not be considered garbage and then discarded, it would be perceived as an audio signal and reproduced. No digital bit errors would be produced but the signal would get through.

So I ask the question. With the knowledge that the digital audio circuit would falter, how do we know for sure that our brains are perceiving the passage of time correctly? Does a chemical process occur at the right time at 5:30 or does it become slightly delayed?

Is the human minds perception of time correct when the cymbals crash at 5:30.00 or is the human mind correct when the cymbals crash at 5:30.01? The answer is both are correct, the people on the planet on Solar System A will perceive 5:30.01 to be correct but for them their clocks will still show the time as being 5:30.00, however they will be wrong according to the people on the planet in Solar System B, because of the black hole in their Solar System is altering for them the passage of time.

However even though the people on the planet in Solar System A are wrong the people on the planet in Solar System B will still perceive the analog audio system as faithfully reproducing the audio coming from the concert, they will just perceive the audio to be slightly slowed down and delayed, the cymbals will crash for them at 5:30.01 and not at 5:30.00.

Because to them the passage of time occured at the right time, but for them the cymbals crashed at 5:30.01.

I am probably completely wrong and that is not how digital audio systems work.

Last edited:
That leads me back to my original thoughts about the Bybees that they actually color the sound and some like that colorization (distortion).
BQP's reduce system colourations through altering system excess noise behaviour.
The effect is not unlike dithering in a sense, and as per digital dithering, different dithering shapes leave a subtle 'sonic footprint'.

BQP do subjectively get rid of signal dependent system noise and provide a controlled 'damping' and consequently leave a subtle dynamics and damping 'signature', one that I recognise and respect, but not quite to my taste....wrong sounding damping and overall slightly unnatural sounding to me.
I say this because I have similarly useful quieting and damping filtering, but with distinctly natural overall character which is subjectively no system dynamic character.
This allows the music and the fun of the music back in.....my inspirations and efforts are all about musical enjoyment.

Dan.

Preferring something and it being 'better' are two completely different things. You have an amplifier you prefer and possibly an irrational view that the amplifier makes more difference than the speakers :p.

If you were telling us that Mr Flea the low powered amp was better than anything else we might have an issue. You saying its a preference is exactly that and not controversial.

My flea powered tube SE amp IS better than anything else. It is by definition, given that I am stating that based on my knowledge, experience and enjoyment of it. I mean, what is "better" anyway? I never said I thought "better" meant it MEASURED better. Just that it SOUNDS better.

I haven't considered measurements in this statement because, frankly, when I listen to music I don't give a f*** about measurements. What is the best is what sounds the best to me, and measurement has NOTHING to do with that. I get that measurement is what matters to you. It isn't to me.

And I suspect this is a BIG part of why this tiresome conversation about Bybee products is continuing. Neither side is addressing the issues that the other side is addressing. Strangely, I don't expect my saying that to change anything. So continue with the prattling everyone. I'll read along with a snicker as I listen to fabulous music on my sh**ty SE amp...

And for what it's worth, my speakers (also DIY and quite nice sounding) are my biggest limitation to full enjoyment. I have to work on them next. Except I LOVE building tube amps.... :D

More the second of those than you appear to think. We "hear" with our eyes, nose, memory, expectations, beliefs, general mood, and lots of other things. Brains didn't evolve with much need for senses or perceptions to be isolated from each other.

Man, how does that statement inform the discussion beyond what I said? OF COURSE it's more the second. But that doesn't matter when I sit down to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.