Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you know this how? Three people is statistically insignificant. You could test three more people and get the opposite result from them. You need a much larger sampling to really have a valid test.
Prior sighted and blind testing shows that this test is valid enough.
The changes are not Nth degree in FR change, nor Nth degree in amplitude response.
No, the changes are far more reaching than that.
The changes cause subjective perfectly agreeable calming and clearing, even 'slowing' of the sound....and much more.
This clearing is what listeners immediately recognise, respond to and prefer.

Dan.

The other night, after reading a bunch of stuff here, I thought that I would go back and try to understand how electricity, or at least an electrical signal, flows, not in general, but exactly, or at least, intuitively.
I think in terms of energy flow/transfer/direction and transduction as overall view, the devil is in the details.

When we are young, we are taught that electricity 'flows' in a wire. Most people think of it like a garden hose and water. It has many similarities to the water hose. You can compare Voltage to water pressure, Current to water flow, Resistance to the restriction of flow in the pipe. It all makes sense to a 10 year old mind.
Yes, good enough allegory for most purposes.

Later, you get the fact that water is made of atoms, but electricity is usually made of electrons that carry an electric charge, and that electrons are usually connected to atoms as well, but some are more loosely connected to each atom, and while pure water cannot pass significant electricity through it, metals, as well as salts dissolved in wire can allow electricity flow.
Interesting is the range of properties of matter, and that these properties can be modified at will (changes in mixtures/alloys etc).

Later, usually in college, we learn that with a lot of math associated with it, we can predict flow of electricity in time through various configurations, including just plain wires. We learn about Maxwell's Equations, and how elegant they appear to be, and this should be all there is to it.
Not by a long shot.
Wikipedia - Maxwell's equations describe how electric charges and electric currents create electric and magnetic fields. Further, they describe how an electric field can generate a magnetic field, and vice versa.
False. Maxwell's equations describe observed electric field and magnetic field relationship and interactions, but exactly zero about the source of these fundamental fields generated as consequence of energy transfer.

Yet, where do electrons come in with Maxwell's Equations? Further study shows that electrons were not discovered in Maxwell's lifetime, so how do they fit in? So here we are, we can calculate the SPEED of an electrical signal in a length of wire, but what about the electron speed? They cannot go that fast we are told. Then we guess that one electron bumping into an atom while moving will release another electron to keep the electrical signal flowing, but can it be done near the speed of light? Kind of tough. All in all, it all falls apart, intuitively, yet it works!
As overview description it works, yes.
Further considerations go much deeper and cause far reaching subtle effects.

Oh well, why not then go with what we hear, rather than only what we are taught in school? We own our ears, and we usually can depend on them, so that's what Dan and I do.
I trust what I hear, and I mostly trust what others hear.

Dan.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Flat speaker?

What do you guys think of this:

Now hear this: UR builds a better loudspeaker

You really need to read through the marketing stuff till the end, and then it appears that the driver placement geometry and the separate driving of the voice coil is determined such that the panel vibrates in a controlled way.

I believe that on theoretical grounds this could make sense.

Jan

Photons now too, certainly enough here for two Nobels.
Thanks for the encouragements, you will be credited in the papers lol.
In experiments with incandescent (and other) lighting placing filters around lamp supply two-wire cord causes subtle changes in the 'nature' of the light.
I find this change is in the subjective clarity, stability and 'calmness' of the light, with benefits in clarity, contrast, subjective focus and colour purity of objects and images for one filter, and subjectively deleterious effects for other filters (incl ferrite).

Standard theory has it that placing a ferrite filter around the supply cable of a typical filament lamp (60W) should have no visible effect due to ferrite split core impedance characteristic and persistence of the filament and persistence of vision, BUT I and others find that ferrite filters and my filters do subtly change the nature/signature of the light produced.

For this (noise) modulation to be visible it 'must' be at quite/very low frequencies....if high and very high frequencies present and induced into the line are sources of lower order intermodulation products then that could explain both filters causing effect.

Where are the modulation/intermodulation sources in a standard lamp circuit with or without filters applied ?.

Dan.

Thanks for the encouragements, you will be credited in the papers lol.
In experiments with incandescent (and other) lighting placing filters around lamp supply two-wire cord causes subtle changes in the 'nature' of the light.
I find this change is in the subjective clarity, stability and 'calmness' of the light, with benefits in clarity, contrast, subjective focus and colour purity of objects and images for one filter, and subjectively deleterious effects for other filters (incl ferrite).

Standard theory has it that placing a ferrite filter around the supply cable of a typical filament lamp (60W) should have no visible effect due to ferrite split core impedance characteristic and persistence of the filament and persistence of vision, BUT I and others find that ferrite filters and my filters do subtly change the nature/signature of the light produced.

For this (noise) modulation to be visible it 'must' be at quite/very low frequencies....if high and very high frequencies present and induced into the line are sources of lower order intermodulation products then that could explain both filters causing effect.

Where are the modulation/intermodulation sources in a standard lamp circuit with or without filters applied ?.

Dan.

Ah! Now I got it! It's all a joke, you are kidding us. Buff, I thouhgt you were talking seriously!

I trust what I hear

Dan.

Well, there's ya problem. :)

There seems to more scientific papers around with evidence that our ears can't be trusted than supporting quantum tweaks...

What you hear could depend on what your hands are doing -- ScienceDaily

With such sensitive ears I imagine you must have impressive environmental control systems in place to control temperature and humidity in your listening room... The effects of both are easily measurable yet never seem to rate a mention...

Why not? It appears that that is precisely the issue they have found a way to fix.

Care to explain your incredible insight?

First of all, the plane is not an ideal rigid body, so which part of the surface are they going to compensate for? If this is answered, then we can go to the next.
The problem is the flexing profile is going to interactively change depending on how you drive it, so you will never get the whole surface to move like a rigid body with complex audio signals.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
First of all, the plane is not an ideal rigid body, so which part of the surface are they going to compensate for? If this is answered, then we can go to the next.
The problem is the flexing profile is going to interactively change depending on how you drive it, so you will never get the whole surface to move like a rigid body with complex audio signals.

So you haven't really read it and/or understood it. No need to go to the next level then.

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Prior sighted and blind testing shows that this test is valid enough.
The changes are not Nth degree in FR change, nor Nth degree in amplitude response.
No, the changes are far more reaching than that.
The changes cause subjective perfectly agreeable calming and clearing, even 'slowing' of the sound....and much more.
This clearing is what listeners immediately recognise, respond to and prefer.

Dan.
Of course it is. Toole wasted his entire life.

SOONGSC, it works and it works very well, see my Sony link and Google some reviews.

The amazing thing is that you believe in stuff like cable directivity, which has no foundation in any science known to man, but not in something that was made to work after a lot of R&D and that is actually implemented in mass consumer products which receive rave reviews.

The age of darkness always lurks in a corner to return and spill over the world again. I fear its force is getting stronger by the day.

You should try duct tape. Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the Universe together. What a story to tell!

Status
Not open for further replies.