Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF96, I sure wish you were right, but experience and study of the problem has shown me that you have never looked deeply into the subject.
About 20 years ago, I tried, really tried, by reading advanced textbooks on E&M to really understand flow of both electricity, AND individual electrons flowing through a wire. One might know that the speed of electrical signal is dependent on the INSULATOR MATERIAL, not the individual electrons, but the individual electrons have lots of problems traveling though imperfect wire conductors, and changes in resistance can happen at low levels of current flow.
If each and every one of you out there, NEVER really listens openly for wire differences, you may never hear enough difference to make any sense to you; as just like to any novice, most guitars sound essentially the same, but there are differences that become magnified from listening experience.

Likening wires to guitars is just blowing smoke.

In a typical audio interconnect context it would take a significant change in resistance to be audible. Such changes would be hugely damaging to more demanding applications of wires, but as far as I know have never been seen.

The behaviour of individual electrons is not very relevant because there are so many of them moving in a metal and they each have such a small charge. There is no significant potential barrier so shot noise does not occur. The imperfection of the wires is why resistance exists. We use metals because their resistance is sufficiently low that even if it were nonlinear (but it isn't nonlinear) the signal would still get through OK.

Wire differences occur, but they are mostly due to silly geometrical designs which pick up RF interference. Most DIY designs and many commercial 'audiophile' cables are inherently electrically inferior to ordinary competent cables. That is why they sound different.

Ok, as my system isn't revealing enough (that means circuits are too stable and not easily screwed by differences in load? my cables are too short of parasitics??) I used a BNC cable to hook a signal generator to a scope and do a sweep from 1Hz to 1MHz, then changed direction of the cable and did the same sweep.
No difference.
So it seems Rohde&Schwarz and LeCroy are not good enogh and need engineering help from people who know how it's done. Or maybe I need to hook that egar up to a grounding box.

Actually, it is the delayed release of stored energy that masks much audibility of changes. So you need tests that show the natural response of a system, not the forced response method which we normally use.

DF96, I sure wish you were right, but experience and study of the problem has shown me that you have never looked deeply into the subject.
About 20 years ago, I tried, really tried, by reading advanced textbooks on E&M to really understand flow of both electricity, AND individual electrons flowing through a wire. One might know that the speed of electrical signal is dependent on the INSULATOR MATERIAL, not the individual electrons, but the individual electrons have lots of problems traveling though imperfect wire conductors, and changes in resistance can happen at low levels of current flow.
If each and every one of you out there, NEVER really listens openly for wire differences, you may never hear enough difference to make any sense to you; as just like to any novice, most guitars sound essentially the same, but there are differences that become magnified from listening experience.

You may notice I shorten my responses. Since this is the lounge anyway. I once asked a bassist to listen to a pair of active speakers and provide feedback. Watching him adjust the EQ on his setup while listening to some vocals amazed me because this were the places that were slightly off in my measurements, maybe around two dB or so.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You may notice I shorten my responses. Since this is the lounge anyway. I once asked a bassist to listen to a pair of active speakers and provide feedback. Watching him adjust the EQ on his setup while listening to some vocals amazed me because this were the places that were slightly off in my measurements, maybe around two dB or so.

Once again, the plural of anecdote is not data. Your story means nothing.

the individual electrons have lots of problems traveling though imperfect wire conductors, and changes in resistance can happen at low levels of current flow.

The LIGO crowd must have missed this astute observation. They could choose to use sighted listening tests to identify those chirps.

Attachments

• math07.gif
    math07.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 167
Gotcha, I imagine an extremely lean and mean system would be required to hear the effects of cable direction. How do you determine the correct direction, presuming there is a correct one of course?

I have not tried to determine the correct directivity of cables I have purchased on the market, because just from listening, I was not satisfied with either way. So there was no incentive to measure otherwise.
And as I always say, for people that do not hear a difference, it makes no sense to look further. Even if you did show a way to determine it to them, they would not benefit. So why waste time?

Status
Not open for further replies.