Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your carefully considered and tactfully worded opinion (post 2644).

Comparing ordinary driver dumbing-down tools with air pilots and F1 drivers is silly. In both of those cases you have highly trained people carrying out narrowly defined tasks in a controlled environment - exactly the situation where computers thrive. Ordinary driving on ordinary roads is quite different. Having worked in real-time IT for many years, I just about trust an engine management system to control an engine from the instructions set by my right foot (and hope that tin whiskers are not a problem); I don't trust it to replace my right foot.

In addition, I don't like automatic gearboxes and I don't use a phone while driving.

Last edited:
Thank you for your carefully considered and tactfully worded opinion (post 2644).

Ordinary things as cup holders improve driver safety.
As do airconditioning, power windows, and electrically driven mirrors.
So does a GPS operated car navigation system.
As do ABS, TCS/TRC/ASR, 6-speed and up manual/automatic gear boxes.

If you do not know, you do not drive.
I've never done less than 20K miles a year, drive blind through London, Paris, Madrid, and stopped counting at half a million miles.

In the 4 months till Xmas last year, I was involved in 4 road accidents, none my fault.
Last one cost me a 10'' scratch on the front pumper left side (made a thousand dollar profit on that one).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...igh-end-off-topic-thread-197.html#post3344564

Without the box of gadgets, I might have ended up as toast a couple of days before Xmas.

My pleasure, your PhD lordship.

Last edited:
Are sat-nav systems dangerous? | World & Middle East GPS Maps, GPS Software, Digital Products and Navigation Resources

Sat-navs 'could be dangerous', study claims, warning of 'road blindness' | Metro News

I disagree that satnavs made driving safer. The articles gel very much with my own experience using them and driving not using them. I find them extremely distracting and dangerous.
Nowadays I only use them when I'm not alone and just give it to the passenger.
When I'm on my own I use a map.

Cup holders are also dangerous IMO, the only safe thing to do is to stop and have a coffee and then get back into the car. Good time to look at the map and memorize directions for the next hours or two drive.

Distracted drivers are the No1 cause of accidents and the most common distractions are mobile phones, eat&drink, satnavs and children.

I was involved in two accidents last year and both times a distracted driver drove into my rear while I was stuck in traffic. One was arguing with his wife/girlfriend and the other guy I'm not sure about but I think he was either on his phone or eating/drinking.

First example is a question.
Second example is yet another "could be"!

Neither is authoritative. Both are dangerous in themselves on the basis that the target audience for these kinds of 'news' consists of everyday people. Their danger lies in the probability that the conditional element is soon forgotten and the main subject becomes 'fact' in the minds of a very large percentage of readers.

I grow more sympathetic toward SY's position(s) when I read this sort of stuff in newspapers, a style of presentation of 'facts' relied on by the secondary media.......:mad:

Jacco's points are - to me - well worth bearing in mind. I have just got used to the first semi-automatic car which I have owned and which has most of the features which he mentions. None of these take one's mind off the task of driving safely....that is down to the driver's concentration and thought processes.

Nowadays I only use them when I'm not alone and just give it to the passenger.

Give it ???

I've got a built-in LCD screen, integrated part of the front console, and it handles everything else as well.
Control buttons on/at the steering wheel, for everything from cruise control +/- to volume mute button.

Programming a route can only be done when the car is not moving, but after that, the btch from Belgium voice orders me around.
And that works perfectly, within 40 feet accuracy, one never misses an exit or turn-off.
Road work warnings ? Yep. Speed enforcement checkpoints ? Yep : ding dong ! Highway accident warnings ? Yep.

As for cup holders, if one does drink in a car, they're way safer than no cup holders. And I drink soda, from a bottle, highway coffee is the pits.

Only agree with you on the cell phone.
I've got a pre-installed gsm package, steering wheel button control, in-ceiling mounted microphone, never use it.
I turn my cell phone off in the car (despise them anyway)

Maybe a couple of decades ago, one could get away with a run of the mill Vauxhall Cavalier.
Nowadays, on European highways/motorways, one is too busy evading lunatic drivers from Poland, Hungary, or young gits in 3d hand exotic cars.
All of which, who will surpass you left or right with >>80mph, depending on where they see an opening.
Or cut you off, as they pass you with high speed, then make it for the last 20 feet of the exit.

Last edited:
Four accidents in four months. Very bad luck, or somewhat poor road-reading?

Very bad luck, imo.

They were the first 4 road accidents I've been involved in.
I've driven in/to London multiple times, Cambridge, south coast a couple of years ago.
All over France, numerous times to Paris, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Switserland, Belgium, Germany, >>125mph on the autobahn.
Cars, trucks, with or without a heavy trailer, motorcycle.

I'm early retiring in a couple of years, maybe I get lucky again.
You should try driving on Curaçao, especially the roads there make it very exciting.

Last edited:
SE Asia

Very bad luck, imo.

I'm early retiring in a couple of years, maybe I get lucky again.
You should try driving on Curaçao, especially the roads there make it very exciting.

Bangkok is a challenge.... 8 lanes worth of traffic (tuk tuks, bicycles, motorcycles, people running, cars, trucks, etc.) all trying to fit into 4 lanes at best, often petering out to 2 lanes.... giant gridlock all day long travelling at 0 or 60 kph binary

groan

Bangkok is a challenge

Respect. :worship:

(Curaçao roads have giant holes, bad climate for asphalt, plus bad level of maintenance. It hardly rains, most of the rain falls in the hurricane season, oil and tire-rubber particles do not wash off. When it does rain, the stuff turns KY, and the asphalted roads as slippery as ice)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.