Fullrange choosing problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back to basic of this thread,how to find moderate priced FR driver as good as JX92s Jordan ? As my experience this driver can give as much
detail and lifelike sound as your frontend can give .
Supravox 215s Bicone are coming .OB baffle is allready built based on
Je-Labs/Wharwhedale desing

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm

If this doesnt sound good next step is Supravox own MTQL from their website . Somebody (MJK?) mentioned it sounded terrible in this kind of
enclosure?

Papparazzi

papparazzi said:
Back to basic of this thread,how to find moderate[ly] priced FR driver as good as JX92s Jordan ?
It's called the Jordan JX92S. :cool: (You ever priced Lowthers?)

Every so often a driver is touted as the "next" Jordan for less money, but no driver does everything that driver does, simply based on specs alone. For example, a lot of people like the FR125, I have no doubt it's a fine driver, but it still has higher Fs, higher Qts, lower efficiency.

I find the McKenzie-modded Tang Bands interesting. But they don't go terribly low.

Hmmm, not sure - I could be wrong. Either way, his point was that with the high Qts, it would not be suitable for much other than OB, and his listening has confirmed this - for him.

That said, people do like this driver in other types of enclosures. MJK may be the MLTL master, however, people have different preferences.

This is 'academic' however: it seems you are going to put these on an OB, which is what they have been recommended for.

Cheers, Raymond.

papparazzi said:

My main target was to get Jx92s midrange with more sensivity and maybe more dynamic sound.

Hi Papparazzi,

The JX92S is a remarkable driver. I've built a few different enclosures including GM's 48" MLTL out of Baltic Birch and a modified version of the 8 liter BR using stainless steel. Two weeks ago I took delivery of 4 Visaton B200 drivers. Although the B200 is an 8” driver, it does not have a whizzer cone. After logging 100 + hours I am certain that these are the drivers that will give you everything you are looking for and maybe perhaps even more.

JohnnyBoy said:
...and maybe perhaps even more.

Not "maybe perhaps", but most definitely!

Don't get me wrong, I like the JX92S and have far more experience with it than I do with the B200, but the B200 in a OB is in a different league altogether. By comparison the JX92S just isn't as open and free of coloration. I have been working in the B200's in almost around the clock with inferior electronics with the same CD on repeat for the past 7 days. I just took that same CD and plugged it into my main system and was shocked to discover that even with the advantage of superior electronics, the JX92S does not reveal the midrange with the same finesse and openness of the B200. The difference between these two drivers is night and day.

JohnnyBoy,

The difference isn't so much the drivers, but the fact that you're comparing boxes to boxless. You did get your start with what I understand is a great OB driver. Welcome to the dark side.... speakers without boxes.

If you work out the bass, I'm sure your JX92s will sound better freed from the confines of their boxes too.

Even without the enclosures, there is a significant difference between the sound of these two drivers. I'm currently listening to both un-mounted side by side. To compensate for the Jordan's inefficiency, I have to disconnect the B200 and increase the gain as I do not have a balance control. The tone of the JX92S is akin to looking out of a tinted window whereas with the B200, the window is so clean, it's doubtful that there is a window.

Supravox 215s Bicones arrived. I mounted them straight
to 31x35 inch baffle
Driven straight from my 300b amp 8 ohm tap.
Sound was quite shock .Open airy ,no boxines ,bass get quite low.Negative side not clear sound upper bass not strong, lower strings sounds muddy.Totally different than boxed types .
Wondering what causes muddy midband ,8 ohm tap?? Should i compensate it with parallel resistor

RG

Papparazzi

Pappa, congratulations on your new drivers!!! :wave2:
You are now the official Supravox pioneer in Finland ;)

The large cone hardly moves even on high volume levels so it might take for ever to burn in the drivers. I suggest using the speakers for atleast 100 or 200 hours before making any judgements.

I remember reading some critisism about the build quality of supravox. How does your drivers look like?

JX92S build quality is superb but JX150 drivers looked like they were built by a 4 years old
:xeye:

I've heard B200 only in large bass reflex enclosure but it sure didn't impress me. The level of upper frequencys is excessive. I suppose someone might concider the sound clear but I think the driver seriously needs some kind of filtering. That ofcource ruins the basic idea of filterless full range speaker.

soongsc said:

Seems I was lucky on the 150s;)

Lucky you :)

I took my 150s back to the store. Not only they were built poorly but all three drivers had totally different Fs and impedance.

Here's a picture of one of the drivers. Dust cap glued poorly and the cone is badly scratched. The other cones were scratched in different way and the cones were badly stained by glue.

Attachments

• skraadut.jpg
    skraadut.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 538
Diar,

That impression doesn't surprise me with a B200 in a BR. I believe OB is needed to help balance the the uptilted response. The reason OB offsets it to some extent is that the rear has a decreasing response toward the high end of the scale and what you hear is all off axis.

Papparazzi,
Definitely give those 215's some significant break in time before making changes. Regarding bass, the nature of OB dictates that without EQ, obscene size baffles are needed unless you use some type of U-baffle alignment. With the size baffle you have, you're looking at an Fequal in the mid 100's and that means 6db/oct roll-off below and above that point a rise to +6db at approx Fequal X 3. Sure off center mounting and the floor effect help offset these, but only to a moderate extent.

Godzilla said:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/pioneerb20-piezo.asp

Pioneer B20 + piezo on back plus Sonic Impact amp is the poor man's version...

Godzilla,

From looking at the pix on you're website, it seems like you're a lot younger than I would have expected.

What are you, now, like 9 years old or something? Yet you handle that drill like you've been at it for more years than you've been alive. What an accomplished lad! :D

Seriously, though, good to see you're experimenting with some affordable speaker solutions. Good stuff.

Best,
KT

DIAR said:

Lucky you :)

I took my 150s back to the store. Not only they were built poorly but all three drivers had totally different Fs and impedance.

Here's a picture of one of the drivers. Dust cap glued poorly and the cone is badly scratched. The other cones were scratched in different way and the cones were badly stained by glue.

I never had any major problems with units shipped from the UK. I think that's one reason why they had to halt that production. I had some JX125 shipped from Germany once, and they went back the UK for rework that I had to pay for, but they sound good.

I would have worked with them to get those back into good quality production, but it seems that Ted wasn't interested. I'm in search for good 6.5" bass that has good cumulative spectral decay that goes up to at least 3K with an Xmax of 9mm p-p, just in case anyone sees a good one.

johninCR said:
Diar,
The reason OB offsets it to some extent is that the rear has a decreasing response toward the high end of the scale and what you hear is all off axis.

I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying. :scratch:
I have almost zero experience in OB so I would appreciate if you or someone could explain this a bit further.

soongsc,
you probably have taken a look at what hivi has to offer. I'm waiting for a buch of drivers my self for a cheap&fun project. There are many wide range drivers with excellent specs.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/drivers/index.asp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.