Fullrange choosing problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIAR said:
I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying. :scratch:
I have almost zero experience in OB so I would appreciate if you or someone could explain this a bit further.

The rear output of a driver doesn't extend as high as the front output. Also, HF response is always less off axis. With OB, the rear wave contributes to the total response except below Fequal where it cancels the front radiation at 6db/oct. Since it doesn't contribute to the top end either, the net result is generally a smoothing of the response for a rising response driver.

This One Sounds Quite nice On Supravox 215s bicone. Dimensions
24x 43 Inch Bass usable down to 50 HZ maybe littlebit lower?
Upper bass is not so clear yet .Driver has burn in about one day.

Attachments

• ob215s.jpg
    ob215s.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 618
In picture is my second Proto (First was Je-Labs OB)of 22mm chipboard I made in one hour
It has no serious bassproblems ,upper bass could ofcourse be more clear and choir type records sounds littlebit hard ,but the reason could
be in amp (output trannies).
Very very Dynamic and free sound ,totally
different than boxed types Changing chipboard to better ofcourse affects (Mahongany of Oak I Thought).
Thanks to Kuei info on his thread!!!!

Papparazzi

JohnnyBoy said:
Even without the enclosures, there is a significant difference between the sound of these two drivers....The tone of the JX92S is akin to looking out of a tinted window whereas with the B200, the window is so clean, it's doubtful that there is a window.

papparazzi said:
Supravox 215s Bicones arrived. I mounted them straight
to 31x35 inch baffle
Papparazzi

My appologies for reviving an old thread but I just wanted to know if there are any updates. my thoughts....

Visaton B200: I assume one would need some passive filtering as the freq. response curve on their website (http://www.visaton.de/en/high_end/breitband/b200_6.html) shows a 6db rise starting at 800Hz.

Supravox 215: there are various versions (the Signature has a Qts of 0.8 which might suit OB best) but the ones without the whizzer interest me more. however they cost almost twice as much as a Visaton B200! One way to look at the 215 Signature is that it is half the price of the PHY H21 :)

Q1: How do you guys tackle the beaming of these large wide range drivers? Since my wife and me often listen together a small sweet spot is not good for me.

Q2: Do these wide range drivers need help in the treble. If so does it make sense to work with a driver like the Decware DFR 8 or Hemp CO series or the Hawthornes?

Q3: What are the alternates (read as short list) for a good OB widerange buffetted by say a 15" or 2 x 10" OB optimised bass drivers (Eminence, Hawthorne, Hemp etc...) belwo 150Hz or so and maybe a tweeter above 6k or 8kHz? Max Budget $350 each.

Q1: How do you guys tackle the beaming of these large wide range drivers? Since my wife and me often listen together a small sweet spot is not good for me.

Yes, I'd like an answer to that as well. When I listen to music thru speakers, I love to share it in a relaxed fashion - a narrow sweet spot is hardly conducive...

Perhaps I should ask, what and how much does a listener lose when out of the sweet spot? I can still enjoy music with a little less treble energy, but a loss in midrange nuance, dynamics, and general liveliness would be a serious deal-breaker. Ye olde "how does it sound from the adjacent room?" test may apply here; it seems that some wide-range drivers do it well, others not so well.

I have also seen it stated that also beaming is an advantage to improved clarity or that wide-dispersion as a weakness / clarity destroyer - I can see the inductive reasoning, and generally you would think so, though I am thinking that is looking at a situation from a narrow perspective (excuse the pun) only and that there are likely more significant factors WRT 'clarity' etc. I can't, at this point, believe a beaming driver is a guarantee for clarity.

Another part of me figures, why bother with wide-rangers if they can only be listened to by one person glued to a sweet spot - given such limitations, headphones would seem to be a superior option.

Okay, I am rambling. :xeye:

rcdaniel said:

I have also seen it stated that also beaming is an advantage to improved clarity or that wide-dispersion as a weakness / clarity destroyer

I thik that might apply to tweeters more than midranges. Disclaimer: this observations is only based on direct comparisions of a Morel MDT33 and a Scan Speak 9900 (this tweeter has a shallow "wave guide") both in MTM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.