Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

ghammond,
beautiful wood skills. i hope my BB/gel-stain dark walnut/ tung-oiled uFonkens i'm building at the moment look half as good as your finish.

Thanks.

The finish took about three weeks to build up. Lots of fine coats of clear oil, lightly rubbed down with wire wool between coats and finally finished with several coats of Wax.

Actually, I came very close to chosing walnut for my build, lovely material! So I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Grant.

Hi , it's my Voigt Pipes , material pine . More photos on my webpage.

Attachments

• 95a.jpg
    95a.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,377
I finished the "Whetstones" (or the "Stones" for short) in May of 2009 and toured them around to some of the DIY shows in the midwest (DIY Dayton and DIY Iowa), and the comments were all positive (except for the usual dings against full-range designs, like lack of treble detail and extension). Overall presentation is laid-back but with surprisingly punchy bass for such a small speaker. Overall, very easy to listen to.

The driver is the Tang Band W4-1052S, and an 8-component filtering network is used to tame the rising response and add a bit of BSC. I think of them as 'single-driver speakers for people who hate single-driver speakers' since they are not about euphonic coloration, a shouty midrange, or a preference for a specific type of music. They excel with orchestral, vocal, acoustic rock, and jazz music, but are tolerable on other types of program with complex harmonics (like heavy metal and classic rock) due to a frequency response that's passively equalized to within +2/-3dB. Sensitivity with the filter in line is 82 dB, but you can gain an additional 3 dB if you cut the BSC resistor in half and just place them closer to the rear wall. The reduction in BSC is also recommended if you use them on your desk against the wall.

See below for link to the writeup.

The "Whetstones" at Iowa DIY 2009 (Photo Credit: J. Andreasen)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Whetstones

Last edited:
Wall mounted 10:1 TL's with CHR-70.

Sound excellent for the price.
There is enough bass so no need for a sub.
Have done some measurement with diy equipment and they play down to under 40 hz. The baffle is tilted so they beam quite on axis to my listening position.

I know that you shouldn't be picky dealing with a driver for $75/pair but the mids could, with certain voices, sound a bit nasal or papery.
I will try the new alpair7 later to check if the sound of them are more fitted to my personal taste.

Regards H@kan

Attachments

• 10_1-chr-70.jpg
    10_1-chr-70.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 3,309
  • 10_2-chr-70.jpg
    10_2-chr-70.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 3,280
  • 10_3-chr-70.jpg
    10_3-chr-70.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 3,190
This pair was built for a friend. Could be the best sounding BLH ever...just love the big sound.

Mine are MDF, lovely finish in metallic red, with DX3's. (See Audiogon)

Building them in CNC'd slices is a DIY'ers dream.

One of the the most exotic speakers in the world built in Australia....? Who would have thought of such a thing....then again, we build Halcro amps...

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    598 KB · Views: 1,746