Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: The latest of the Fonken Family

vinylkid58 said:
They turned out quite nice Dave, how do they compare to the standard Fonkens?

No direct comparison yet... Chris took a pair of fresh drivers for the ribbon mahogany Fonkens so that we can compare.

I expect a standard set to have an edge, but there are some (theoretical) advantages to the GR box (lower BS frequency for one, more bass maybe (but not necessarily better)).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(Chris mailed me some pics)

Part of the rationale for the existance of the GR Fonken is that it is part of a family of "Flat-Face" Fonkens. A series of boxes that use the same tuning as the Fonken in different aspects (13 litres tuned to 50-something with a high aspect ratio port).

Here is the freshly finished Mark II floorstander. Everything below the port on the back is meant to be sand-filled for stability. The Mark 1 doesn't have this, so is even skinnier,

dave

Attachments

• avi-towerscomp.jpg
    avi-towerscomp.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5,653
planet10 said:
And Chris also sent a lone picture of Mileva (also with FE127e). This box has gained the highesy yet approval factor from Chris' spouse.

I like the Mileva shape as well, although my wife doesn't. :(

The Mark II floorstanders are finished beautifully, that veneer is really quite lovely. I've given up on the idea of putting veneer on mine, now that the weather is warming up, I think a few coats of spar varnish and some wax will be it for them.

Jeff

vinylkid58 said:

I like the Mileva shape as well, although my wife doesn't. :(

The Mark II floorstanders are finished beautifully, that veneer is really quite lovely. I've given up on the idea of putting veneer on mine, now that the weather is warming up, I think a few coats of spar varnish and some wax will be it for them.

Jeff

If you like, I can get that done for you wholesale :angel: (well, maybe a case of cool pops)

32 sq ft of QC mahogany veneer goes a long way on this size a box

chrisb said:

If you like, I can get that done for you wholesale :angel: (well, maybe a case of cool pops)

32 sq ft of QC mahogany veneer goes a long way on this size a box

Thanks for that very generous offer Chris, I may be asking you for help when I decide what my next project is going to be.
I was thinking of a Super Abby clone with a bit more Vb, or a FF165k Mileva with a Fostex supertweet on top.
Unfortunately, I've got a bunch of domestic projects that have priority over any hifi related ones. :bawling:

Jeff

Its a shot at baffle step compensation, the woofer is being run pretty much full range. A straight cap in parallel gives the normal 6dB/oct roll off. All this assumes current source amplifier. Normally tweeters are crossed to with cap, doesnt work out same here. All XO components go in parallel with current source amp.