Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

They are ( tiny ) omnidirectional speakers

Cool! Don't often see inverse tapered sealed like B&W used and presume they're well stuffed.

Right, Until speakers become quite heavy they ideally require mass loading, typically 2-3x their weight, so recommend some form of (industrial) velcro'd on top plate or if big enough in area, a heavy potted plant, etc., for a bit of S/WAF.

Even big, heavy cabs such as these old Altec A7 horns with a 165 lb factory net weight required an impressive number of bricks and the small plastic horn proportionately more!

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....wmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=hug
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hug&m=175268

Neat! What driver do you use? Did you ever measure the frequency response? Is the tapered line stuffed in actual usage? If not, it'll help. I'd even advise drilling out a terminus at the apex of the pipe and stuff it well. As it is, it's a half-wave resonator, with a terminus it'll be quarter-wave and be effective lower in frequency. Thanks for sharing a not often seen design!
The driver used are " 40mm 4 ohm 5w full range audio speaker bass loudspeaker " from amazon UK ( £ currently £ 4.99p each ). I guess the frequency response drops after around 200 Hz. Since the cabinet is so small, I don't think trying to get it to work as a transmission line will work. They are stuffed with cotton wool

Cool! Don't often see inverse tapered sealed like B&W used and presume they're well stuffed.

Right, Until speakers become quite heavy they ideally require mass loading, typically 2-3x their weight, so recommend some form of (industrial) velcro'd on top plate or if big enough in area, a heavy potted plant, etc., for a bit of S/WAF.

Even big, heavy cabs such as these old Altec A7 horns with a 165 lb factory net weight required an impressive number of bricks and the small plastic horn proportionately more!

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....wmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=hug
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hug&m=175268

The speakers I made before ( also omnis ) have a 4.5kg lump of iron ( the shiny thing ) bolted to the magnet, vibration is still transferred to both parts of the cabinet; the black section is isolated from the ply section by a foam and spring gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_203019.jpg
    IMG_20210819_203019.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished my latest project, a 174L ported box for the Fane Sovereighn 12-250TC. And with a little filter on the driver, this sounds very good. I knew it was a good driver (used it in PA speakers already), but with filter it's very hifi sounding. They are big and heavy altough. I'll have to put it on casters to move it I think... Plans are in the making and will be published at some point (but still learning how to do that).
20220110-DSC_0120e.jpg
20220110-DSC_0118e.jpg
20220109-DSC_0114.ejpg.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my latest project, a 174L ported box for the Fane Sovereighn 12-250TC. And with a little filter on the driver, this sounds very good. I knew it was a good driver (used it in PA speakers already), but with filter it's very hifi sounding. They are big and heavy altough. I'll have to put it on casters to move it I think... Plans are in the making and will be published at some point (but still learning how to do that). View attachment 1013876 View attachment 1013877 View attachment 1013878
I have read a little about that driver.
Please give me some sound report?
Leif

Thanks Dave
Like Dave said, this driver definitly needs a filter for hifi use (i attached the filter i use). But with a filter it's a very good driver with a lot of dynamic range if you use it like i do (low power). It needs a huge box also, but for jazz or classical (music with a big dymaic range) it's very much taking away the limitations of a smaller fullrange, it can handle all the dynamic range you throw at it without compression, and also on high volume (+90dB). It doesn't have the microdetail that Mark Audio has, but it's still a very detailed driver and much better than any big fullrange drivers i heared. It's a bit like the old philips dirvers i have (9710M8 and AD1065) but with a much wider frequency range. bass is full and low, mids are strong and the top end is controlled with the filter. You can't throw much power at it but with a real life sensivity of 98dB/2.83v/1m it does not matter.

Without the filter it's bright, and only usable from a distance or off axis. That is how it was ment to be used (as monitor or top for a smaller p.a. system). I used it in the past for a build for a friend with an 18 woofer for a garden system, and used the precestor (12-200LT) with a Peavy BLack Widow woofer and a bullet tweeter crossed high as small reggae soundsystem decades ago. The 12-200LT needed that tweeter, but this version not as it goes up to +18Khz and then slope down very slowly. Dispertion is off course not that good with such a big and deep cone, but still reasonable within 45° (so no narrow beaming like many other big fullrange drivers).

But for 75€ (what i paid for the drivers) it's a steal. Especially compared to many more esotheric big fullrange drivers that cost a lot more and are a lot less good.

Attachments

• filter.PNG
    filter.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 327
waxx,

These are some very nice enclosures you built. I like BB-ply edges showing and you've put it to good effect here IMO. My own 'big boxes' are 142L, weighing-in at 50kg and sporting casters for obvious reasons. Enjoy!
That is a lot of sanding and oiling with linseed oil. Luckely i got a good Dawalt sander to do the sanding, but it still took me hours to get to this.

I've never actually put this amount of efforts in finishing my edges-showing BB-ply cabs, but it makes me want to consider it the next time around.

Are you getting some vertical standing waves from the proportionally slim dimensions? How tall are these, about 4 feet tall?

It's tall (120cm) but as it's port is close to the driver and up high and the volume of the box is large it acts like a reflex, not a TL. I modelled in the same layout as a TL and the response i got was identical as like a reflex btw. Inside is lined with 1cm very dense felt sheets against all wals and top and bottom, no filling for the rest. If I modelled with the port near the floor it started to behave as a MLTL, but putting the port up and close to the driver did avoid that TL behaviour. I also don't hear resonances when listening to it (with testtones) like i did when i tested the MLTL next to it in the pictures without stuffing (when i was building that one).

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if you had considered an MLTL when building to that form-factor.

My 142L big box (a 2-way with TD15M) currently has some kind of white poly lining, but I'm set to re-do it in that same felt you used, I bought a few meters of that before the holidays. I also plan to install tee-nuts on the back cleats since a few screws have worn out the threads in the pine cleats. I might add some bracing since I'm in there and perhaps adjust the tuning. My vent is at the bottom, but I think I still have a dominant reflex behavior because of the internal golden ratio proportions.

I'd love to hear the Fane 15" or 12" sometime. I have several of their products on my radar for eventual projects. They seem to have a good price/quality ratio and are conveniently sold at Solen for semi-local shipping.

Wel, the difference is in the headroom and the dymaic range and the dispertion. The bigger fane (12") driver sounds less stressed and so more dynamic and open but has a narrow dispertion (45° at max), the Mark Audio CHN110 sounds more compact, less dynamic but has a better dispertion because of the smaller flatter cone. The low response is very similar as both are tuned to +/- 30Hz, even in a different alignment (big reflex vs MLTL), the main difference is in the high frequencies and in lesser degree in the mid. The Fane is also way more sensitive, and sounds louder on a 15w class A transistor than the Mark Audio on a 35w Push Pull tube amp (they play from the same preamp and source). The sound caractherstics stay the same if i switch amps btw (i tried). I tested the Fane also on a class d amp (SMSL A36) and it keep sounding good, while the Mark Audio did not like that amp. So the fane is less ment for high Rout amps than the Mark Audio clearly (it should, as it's originally a p.a. speaker for floormonitors mostly powered by class D). It was certainly worth the weeks of hard work to finish that cabinet...