Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Lockdown build with recycled wood and drivers. Mark audio MAOP 7 fullrange in 7 litres sealed. 12" in about 27 litres with craptonnes of LT eq. 450Hz xover. Fine for my requirements. Mostly rimu hardwood. Fully joint project with my 4 year old. Lots of hand sawing and planing.

Great father and son project! Something else to do during lockdown, besides TV and video games.

Quarantine has lead me to realize I really like the concept of single driver speakers. Here are my Fonkens with Coral fe103a drivers. I am excited to try another pair of speakers maybe with slightly larger drivers next time around.

Nb5MHEA.jpg

Guess I originally posted this in a thread intended for full range "drivers". :eek:
I just finished the build this past winter.

Older Vifa NE123 4-ohm full rangers that I got from Planet10 a few (?) years ago. Thanks Dave, these are dandy little units! There was a later 4-ohm version that had a slightly different response. I made a contour circuit for these to smooth things out a bit.

Each box is 3.8 liters net volume. A 6.5 inch Dayton PR is used on rear, tuned to around 60 Hz. Boxes are made from white ash and teak.

Lesson learned for wood with significant oil content. The polyurethane remained tacky after a week or two, due to the oil in the wood mixing with the polyurethane. A little heat and more drying time was required. This can be avoided by applying acetone or naphtha (or similar) just prior to applying the polyurethane. Try to remember that for next time. The ash and teak complement each other nicely otherwise.

The center amp unit is a stereo class D chip amp with Bluetooth. It has an On/Off switch, an aux input (1/8" mini-stereo), a volume control, and plenty of indicator lights. There is a jack for a power supply input, and I added an external antenna as well. Inside is an add-on module for rechargeable batteries, which has a built-in circuit to prevent over/under charging.

This is my first full range project, and I've grown to like the sound. They were a house-warming gift for my wife's cousin. They love it btw!

These little 4-inch drivers are quite good. Currently there is an 8-ohm version of the NE123 that is available. I’m sure it is as good sounding, but may need its own smoothing circuit.

Attachments

• NoiseSys.jpg
    NoiseSys.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,552
  • noise_rear.jpg
    noise_rear.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,559
Last edited:
this is my first "proof of concept" from something i have had kicking around in my head for a very long time...

they incorporate the faital 3fe25 with ferro magnets, and 80mm crystal balls for diffusors or reflectors.

don't look to carefully, they are just fitted together to test and will be taken apart and reassembled to more accurate presentation.

as for sound, i have a nasty peak at about 2khz, and i use a graphic equalizer to tame that problem, with that peak tamed they do a really good job with vocals and string instruments so long as it is above about 180 hz or so, with a bit of eq boost they do well down to a bit under 100hz... that is if i don't go over about 80db spl at my listening seat.

i rarely listen at over 65db anyway, so they do a good job

just to get an idea of what they might do in a 2.1 with a sub to cross at around 150hz or so, i paired them with my JBL 150as which have all the low notes i want to listen to... paired with them they do a really nice job in the upper registers and where they take from the jbl's down low, they make up for by giving back to the JBLs in the over 5khz range.

the omni directional nature of the little boogers, make for interesting listening, i don't notice the nulls and peaks moving about the room with them like i do with the JBLs

granted my JBLs are no where near what some audio guy's would call "reference" but they be the best i have to compare to, at least in an A/B test

bob g
ps. they stand about 12" tall and about 6.5" wide

Bob, wonderful idea, very nice. If the distance between cone and ball is around 8.5 cm, there's your 2 Khz generator. It would be a nice experiment to flush mount the driver so that this cavity resonance is moved up in frequency and down in level.

Bob, wonderful idea, very nice. If the distance between cone and ball is around 8.5 cm, there's your 2 Khz generator. It would be a nice experiment to flush mount the driver so that this cavity resonance is moved up in frequency and down in level.

thanks for the input, i will look into modifying the mounting and see what the effect might be. might be a bit as i am in the middle of another build.

bob g

Yes before the round version. I've been listening to these for a couple of years now in a bookshelf ported cabinet, great sound really. I even built a pair of Auratone clones for my grandson with these drivers, he's driving them with a JVC 15 watt receiver through his phone. Every time I hear them I'm blown away and they'll play loud too. The t-line makes amazing bass down to the low 50's, supper smooth up to 10khz before they roll off.
Honestly they do such a great job playing music they can easily be forgiven for the missing top octave. I'm sure a lot of people discount this driver because of the measurements, but I really enjoy listening to them straight up!

Larry